• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about Judas Iskariot?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
What do you think about Judas Iskariot, one of the disiples to Jesus Christ?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think he's a person who, regardless of what he did and the impact of it... certainly goes down to a lot of others as a villain of a person.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think about Judas Iskariot, one of the disiples to Jesus Christ?
First of all 'Iskariot' is not a name but a murderous political faction. Its known in English as the 'Sicarii'. According to wikipedia all of these people carried daggers in their cloaks, so Judas possibly carried a dagger. They would collect in a public place, pull out their daggers and start killing Romans and any sympathizers, then disappear like ninjas.

When Jesus adopted him, Judas was one of these people; so Jesus called a murderer to be one of his disciples.

The significance of this cannot be ignored, because it is a possible answer to the many questions about Judas such as why Jesus calls him 'Doomed'. It has theological implication, implications about the selection of the twelve, implications about Jesus purpose in his preaching...all kinds of implications.

If one views the gospels as a political treatise in disguise, then Judas represents those Jews who wish to overthrow Roman tyrants instead of cooperating with them, submitting, obeying them.

It is significant that this is one primary difference between Judas and Peter. Peter fails, too. Peter pulls out a sword and tries to kill someone, but then he abandons Jesus when things get impossible. Despite this Peter's sin can be atoned for. He doesn't succeed in killing anyone, and he repents. Peter is restored. Judas must be replaced like a diseased limb and is replaced by another disciple chosen by lot. Is this because Judas is a murderer, or is it because he opposes Jesus purpose? It is probably the latter. Judas wants the Romans gone. Jesus is preaching that the kingdom is there already, implying that the Romans are the little children who should not be hindered from joining him.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As a former Christian, the further and further I move away from Christianity, the more I see how the whole sin/redemption story is contrived, including the part Judas Iscariot plays.
  • God gives Adam and Eve free will, and a test kowing they'll fail.
  • He promises a redeemer to atone for their "sin".
  • The redeemer knows what's going to happen to him and accepts his fate. Yet he asks God to undo it, then says "yeah ok, whatever; I'll die".
  • The redeemer also knows he will be betrayed by one of his closest friends.
  • The traitor doesn't know he's being used. He then realizes what he's done, commits suicide out of grief, and is a villain for the next 2,000 years.
Something is not right in this story. I'm not mocking, just making an observation that in my opinion, the story is contrived. It's also my considered opinion that Judas was a pawn, was used, and was a throw-away.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Also it seems as if Judas does repent. Up until this moment he probably has been planning to have Jesus stopped, but he now regrets opposing Jesus purpose. He kills himself in the most shameful way perhaps to testify that he was wrong: hanging himself. (Another account describes it as him falling headlong and splitting open, but this is so weird and hard to understand that it seems to me a figure of speech. I am not sure about it.)

Heyo

Veteran Member
If Judas hadn't taken the 30 pieces of silver in the story, Jesus wouldn't be crucified and nobody would be saved.
A story that must have happened but was left out of the bible:
(Jesus and the inner circle of the disciples meet.)
Jesus: "Truly, truly, one of you is going to betray me."
Disciples: ?
Jesus: *looks at Judas*
Judas: "Why me?"
Jesus: "I love you, I trust you, and someone has to fulfil the prophecy."
Judas: "****."

Treasure Hunter

As a former Christian, the further and further I move away from Christianity, the more I see how the whole sin/redemption story is contrived, including the part Judas Iscariot plays.
  • God gives Adam and Eve free will, and a test kowing they'll fail.
  • He promises a redeemer to atone for their "sin".
  • The redeemer knows what's going to happen to him and accepts his fate. Yet he asks God to undo it, then says "yeah ok, whatever; I'll die".
  • The redeemer also knows he will be betrayed by one of his closest friends.
  • The traitor doesn't know he's being used. He then realizes what he's done, commits suicide out of grief, and is a villain for the next 2,000 years.
Something is not right in this story. I'm not mocking, just making an observation that in my opinion, the story is contrived. It's also my considered opinion that Judas was a pawn, was used, and was a throw-away.
Since he is doing God’s will, how can Judas be a traitor? He is playing the role of the father turning over the son to death, just like Abraham with Isaac.

Still, the good father is always with the son, so when the son is given over to death, the father must die too. Thus the father is accepting suicide.

Out of context, this is a difficult scene, but there is a much bigger story going on.

Treasure Hunter

First of all 'Iskariot' is not a name but a murderous political faction. Its known in English as the 'Sicarii'. According to wikipedia all of these people carried daggers in their cloaks, so Judas possibly carried a dagger. They would collect in a public place, pull out their daggers and start killing Romans and any sympathizers, then disappear like ninjas.

When Jesus adopted him, Judas was one of these people; so Jesus called a murderer to be one of his disciples.

The significance of this cannot be ignored, because it is a possible answer to the many questions about Judas such as why Jesus calls him 'Doomed'. It has theological implication, implications about the selection of the twelve, implications about Jesus purpose in his preaching...all kinds of implications.

If one views the gospels as a political treatise in disguise, then Judas represents those Jews who wish to overthrow Roman tyrants instead of cooperating with them, submitting, obeying them.

It is significant that this is one primary difference between Judas and Peter. Peter fails, too. Peter pulls out a sword and tries to kill someone, but then he abandons Jesus when things get impossible. Despite this Peter's sin can be atoned for. He doesn't succeed in killing anyone, and he repents. Peter is restored. Judas must be replaced like a diseased limb and is replaced by another disciple chosen by lot. Is this because Judas is a murderer, or is it because he opposes Jesus purpose? It is probably the latter. Judas wants the Romans gone. Jesus is preaching that the kingdom is there already, implying that the Romans are the little children who should not be hindered from joining him.
Yes, Judas represents the one who is willing to get his hands dirty, the one who is willing to kill. He is part of Jesus’ story. If you don’t know Judas, then you don’t fully know Jesus.