• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think is the greatest man made invention?

Ori

Angel slayer
There is a lot to pick from through history, I can't choose one at the moment.

What do you think it is?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Whatever the one before sliced bread was.

Seriously? The printing press. (Or the Eastern version of it, which (if I remember correctly) came first.)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
FeathersinHair said:
Deut.32.8 said:
The alphabet.
Oooo, good point! The printing press would be rather useless without that.
Prior to the alphabet, hundreds and hundreds of pictographs/hieroglyphics were required to communicate the simplest of messages. Very few could read them, and fewer still could produce them. The alphabet was not only immensely more flexible, but equally more accessible. It essentially democritized written communication.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I agree with Deut on this one . True we could have used other symbols , but the alphabet is much more flexible .

Not sure if I would say that it was mankind's greatest invention though ... Perhaps language ? ;)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Writing.( the making of intelligible marks)

Terry

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
kreeden said:
... the alphabet is much more flexible. Not sure if I would say that it was mankind's greatest invention though ... Perhaps language?
I would tend to classify language as an emergent capacity rather than an invention, but I really haven't given it that much thought.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Deut. 32.8 said:
I would tend to classify language as an emergent capacity rather than an invention, but I really haven't given it that much thought.
Which is why I added the winking smilie Deut. :) I often find it hard to say that something is more important then another . So many factors , so many interconnections ...

jewscout

Religious Zionist
no way! best invention has to be the Furby!
furby.jpg

jewscout

Religious Zionist
hehehe they aren't that scary Feathers...especially at 3 in the morning just cussing at it over and over again trying to get it to repeat you:D