• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does envy feel like?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You have a deep longing for something someone else has. It should not control you, though. That would be very unhealthy

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
IMO, it feels no different from any other kind of wanting something. The only difference lies in who "owns" the object of want.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Do you own all the objects you want? How do you know if you've felt envy, then?
Of course not. I didn't intend to imply that by my answer. As you subtly point out, I wouldn't be able to offer any answer besides "I have no idea" were that the case.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Envy feels green. Oh, but now you want to know what green feels like. ;)

I can only relate envy to you in terms of feelings you may already have experience with. Envy is a kind of frustrated longing, and may involve some measure of hatred for the person who owns what you do not. It is a very unpleasant feeling, and one I was careful to nip in the bud in my early twenties. I decided that it is better to congratulate and admire others for their success, and to focus on my own character to produce my own success, and to view my glass as half full in any case.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Follow up question: How do we learn what envy is? Yes, people can relate "what they feel," but how do we know, once we've "learned" it, that it's that we're experiencing?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Follow up question: How do we learn what envy is? Yes, people can relate "what they feel," but how do we know, once we've "learned" it, that it's that we're experiencing?

I think we know it through context. When we realize that what we feel has to do with a desire for the possessions or qualities of another, we know that we are feeling envy.

I don't think we need to telepathically compare this feeling to anyone else's. It's enough to associate whatever one feels with the context.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Random

It is empowering, and inspiring. It is like a godly nectar, the sweetest of all poisons promising a certain, but painless, quiet and dignified death.

It feels like GOD, and is one of His outstanding attributes. Envy is like a good woman with bad morals. Or a bad man with good morals. Or a priest, a patriarch.

It is the monster of Hate and Anger, both incredibly potent energies.

:flirt: < It is like that smiley right there...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What does envy feel like? Can you describe it?
I haven't the foggiest idea Willy. I don't envy others and have never fallen into this self-created trap (Edit: In my adult life.) I certainly don't envy those who do.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I haven't the foggiest idea Willy. I don't envy others and have never fallen into this self-created trap. I certainly don't envy those who do.
You've never felt envy even once in your life? :areyoucra Are you sure? Not even when you were young and immature? :flirt:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You've never felt envy even once in your life? :areyoucra Are you sure? Not even when you were young and immature? :flirt:
It was so long ago ButteryCups. Of course I know what it is like, what I am saying is that it isn't something I have put ANY energy into for decades.

Statement edited for clarity. Is that better?