• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your religion say about trees?

Jumi

As per the topic, I'd like to know various modern or ancient pagan views on trees. It seems quite common that trees were considered holy or as symbolic gateways.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
They either have a spirit (not sure) or are under the protection of the landvaettir (definitely). Before a tree is felled permission should be obtained from the landvaettir, or at least a darn good reason given to them for why the tree is being felled. An offering is also in order.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not only could a book be written on this, multiple lengthy books could be written on this. I don't even know where to start. For now, I'm going to point you to what is currently my favorite book on tree lore:

Tree Wisdom: The Definitive Guidebook to the Myth, Folklore and Healing Power of Trees : Jacqueline Memory Paterson : 9780722534083

There are many, many other books like this on the market, but this one is my favorite because it includes a more scientific/botanist angle on the tree genera and combines it with folklore and general witchy-ness. It's the kind of book I wish there was more of.

Trees are pretty darned central to modern Druidry. OBOD actively encourages its members to plant or sponsor the creation of groves in their local area, while part of the AODA curriculum requires candidates to plant a tree during their first year of study. A number of basic visualizations are done using trees as anchors or forests as destination points. Tree lore is actively studied, whether it's scientific or folkloric. So is nature lore in general, to be honest, but your typical contemporary Pagan gravitates towards studying "charismatic" parts of nature, like big trees or birds and mammals.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
As per the topic, I'd like to know various modern or ancient pagan views on trees. It seems quite common that trees were considered holy or as symbolic gateways.

They are also connected to Runes, secret languages, and Magic.

Even the Bible has an argument of the Trees, over whom should be king.

EDIT - I thought I should add the verses.

Jdg 9:8 The trees went forth on a time to anoint a king over them; and they said unto the olive tree, Reign thou over us.

Jdg 9:9 But the olive tree said unto them, Should I leave my fatness, wherewith by me they honour God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees?

Jdg 9:10 And the trees said to the fig tree, Come thou, and reign over us.

Jdg 9:11 But the fig tree said unto them, Should I forsake my sweetness, and my good fruit, and go to be promoted over the trees?

Jdg 9:12 Then said the trees unto the vine, Come thou, and reign over us.

Jdg 9:13 And the vine said unto them, Should I leave my wine, which cheereth God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees?

Jdg 9:14 Then said all the trees unto the bramble, Come thou, and reign over us.

Jdg 9:15 And the bramble said unto the trees, If in truth ye anoint me king over you, then come and put your trust in my shadow: and if not, let fire come out of the bramble, and devour the cedars of Lebanon.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Trees are spirits, are kin to humans (and others), and therefore, are persons, to be respected and treated well, even when cutting them down to build houses, etc. As Quintessence notes, there is a great deal of tree lore out there, from many different traditions. In my experience, not all of them are aware, or at least, they don't all interact with me on anything more than the most superficial level, but others are strong and interactive spirits who are quite rightly concerned about the activities of humans--and others.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Tree's are like the pinnacle of life in myth. This is which can bring eternal life from is roots. Such thinking is outlandish nowadays. Tree's simply do not bare life giving fruit. HAHAHHHAHAHAHAH

Like the Amazon, eternal life may be in there. What's even worse is their doesn't seem to be an overbearing Government body on top of the deforestation.

Tree's are a pretty big deal, I guess... Almost something worth batting a tear away. Governments are getting recollectively better at quartering territories for forests and what not. Go to the South, it's almost pure Jungle now outside Atlanta. I'm not upset but the bugs are a combative. Warrior spiders and all.

But, ya, felling a tree before the machine used to have a ritual. You would take you're first swing and holler Odin or Thor, they do that anyway. Just something to represent bringin

Oh, cellular regeneration. That's what vitamins do, science is almost on the spot.

All you need is knowledge of chemistry to know how medicines work.

Jumi

Sometimes there are trees I really feel comfortable around. During spring or summer, just looking at them I feel at ease. If I'm meditating it feels like the trees are there with me for the experience, it's like a group is there. :D A book on tree myths sounds interesting, maybe something for the summer holiday.

@Whiterain yes I sometimes feel pain watching people cut trees and for what? A golf course, an unnecessary parking lot for people who can't bother to walk a minute or two.

Baladas

An Págánach
Well, I am sure that Daoism says more about trees than I am aware of.
However, I personally revere trees (and all other parts of Nature).
I respect them, and treat them as the living things they are.

GoodbyeDave

Most if not all Pagans have a good word for trees. In Europe, Celts, Germans, Romans, and Greeks all considered that spirits dwelt in many woods. Many Indian villages have a sacred tree which serves as a vehicle for their patron divinity. Shinto has a God of Trees and individual "spirit trees" are revered.