• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if there was no religion in 500 years time...

Science damn you! From the go god go episode in south park. In 500 years time, atheism takes over the world, how would you feel if in 500 years time everyone was atheist, including YOU,

Give and answer as if you know, from now.

I would be annoyed, VERY! My lovely hindu faith brought down by atheism.

Smoke

Done here.
In five hundred years I expect to have been dead for over 400 years, so I don't think much of anything that happens then will have any way of bothering me.

And your descendants could still be Hindus without believing that the gods were actual beings. Some people are now.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not likely -- most people don't understand the basics of today's science. I'd say most Americans would be hard pressed to carry on an intelligent discussion about biology or geology. Many believe the earth to be only a few thousand years old. (Many can't find their own country on a map!)
People always have and probably always will prefer magical explanations to scientific.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Oh, you party poopers. I'll try to answer it. Okay, if I could be alive 500 years in the future, and everyone had converted to atheism, I'd probably appear to be a closet atheist. I could pull it off, too, having seen both sides of the issue and transcended both of them. I'd nod when the atheist says, "there is no God," and I'd equally nod when the theist says, "I know an image of God."

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
One, I have a hard time believing that atheism will completely take over the world, theism is ages old and still going strong.

But on the off chance that it does, then it does. Just another change in a world full of them.

rojse

RF Addict
I loved those two South Park episodes. Extremely funny, and were quite good satire about religion.

Perhaps we will be atheists, and instead of praising God, we will praise science and the scientific method.

To be fair, I read that in Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, but I still like it.

In it, the protagonist meets an abandoned group of scientists live and worship all things scientific, and shout phrases like: "Praise be to science!" and "Most scientific."

Ozzie

Science damn you! From the go god go episode in south park. In 500 years time, atheism takes over the world, how would you feel if in 500 years time everyone was atheist, including YOU,

I would be annoyed, VERY! My lovely hindu faith brought down by atheism.
I would have no problem with a superior race such as this. May it live for 1000 years.:eek:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As an aside, I think it very likely that five centuries from now the Earth will be a devastated ecology, devoid of civilization, with humans existing (if they exist at all) as scattered bands of primative hominids still struggling among themselves -- albeit with sticks and stones.

Science will play little part in their daily struggle.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Science damn you! From the go god go episode in south park. In 500 years time, atheism takes over the world, how would you feel if in 500 years time everyone was atheist, including YOU.

Since I am an atheist, I wouldn't be troubled by this. However, I would be thrilled to still be alive 500 years from now!

BTW, I agree with that South Park episode that a completely atheistic world wouldn't necessarily be a peaceful or utopic one. However, unlike Seyorni, I optimistically foresee a bright future for humanity.

And if you disagree, I will crush you like a clam on my tummy!

eudaimonia,

Mark

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Since I am an atheist, I wouldn't be troubled by this. However, I would be thrilled to still be alive 500 years from now!
What he said. :yes: (well, maybe not thrilled so much as shocked. :p)
Penguino, if you truly were atheist, how could you be upset about it?

And if you disagree, I will crush you like a clam on my tummy!
lol! for that and the comment above, frubals!

Smoke

Done here.
Id be pretty screwed, i mean being confinedto little dark alley worship...Forget it, WAR!!!
If everyone were an atheist, you'd be an atheist, and you wouldn't have any need to worship, in alleys or elsewhere.

And you could still enjoy the aesthetic and cultural aspects of Hinduism. Being an atheist doesn't keep me from having Christian icons in the house, as well as images of Sakyamuni, Hotei, Ganesha, Vishnu, and Guan Yin.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
My lovely hindu faith brought down by atheism.

The Lord as the Creator Brahma promised Valmiki that as long as mountains and rivers exist on earth, the Holy Ramayan will endure.

Also, the Vedas will always exist because they are manifested at the beginning of each cycle of creation and reabsorbed back into the Absolute Reality between the cycles. :)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
As an aside, I think it very likely that five centuries from now the Earth will be a devastated ecology, devoid of civilization, with humans existing (if they exist at all) as scattered bands of primative hominids still struggling among themselves -- albeit with sticks and stones.

Science will play little part in their daily struggle.
I don't see any reason for humans to lose any intelligence. Unless by primative you mean in culture ala Mad Max, in which case i agree with you.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Probably the only way for everyone on earth to believe the same thing is for there to be very few people.