• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if you were told you were dying?

RestlessSoul

We're all dying aren't we? Presumably you mean imminently? Well I'm 63 next week, so it's becoming more imminent by the day. I've made a will, but have a few things to sort out as personal circumstances have changed since I made it. Should probably do that now tbh.

First grandchild due in August, will be around for that I hope, but you never know. If I knew I was going before she arrives, I would write her a letter. Maybe I should do that now too.

Thanks for making me think.

We Never Know

No Slack
We're all dying aren't we? Presumably you mean imminently? Well I'm 63 next week, so it's becoming more imminent by the day. I've made a will, but have a few things to sort out as personal circumstances have changed since I made it. Should probably do that now tbh.

First grandchild due in August, will be around for that I hope, but you never know. If I knew I was going before she arrives, I would write her a letter. Maybe I should do that now too.

Thanks for making me think.

"We're all dying aren't we"

Exactly!

Had a person asked me that question of "what if you were told you were dying? How would you change your life.

My answer was I started dying the day I was born.

He was like what? Then after he thought about it he said damn you're right.

Fact is we started dying the day we were born(or conceived) as some see it.

We all are dying, getting closer to death with every passing second, minute, hour, day, etc.

Any of us could die at any time.

Unless we live with our head buried in the sand, most of us hear about death daily. So why do we take being alive for granted?

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
-Would you change your life?
-Your thoughts?
-Your actions?
There's nothing left to change. Any necessary changes are behind me.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm nearly 70, if I get 20 more years I've been lucky (If my health holds), 2 kids, 3 grandkids will survive me, it is their world I worry about.
Putin, Trump, etc are out to destroy normal people. I will change nothing but will ensure I call out crooks and liars and fascists for what they are.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We all die, I'd be happy to see my children start on their way to success in whatever they choose as a career. But it it comes sooner than that... Change my life? No, why should i change what i consider to be a good, no... great life because I'm going to die?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
-Your thoughts?
-Your actions?

It would depend on when I believed I would die. Next month? Next decade? In 40 years? Death is inevitable, after all. It's only a matter of when and how it happens.

If it were imminent, like in the next five years or less, I would make arrangements such as writing a will, letting my family and friends know, spending more time with all of them, etc.

I would also stop investing time and energy into a career and other long-term goals.

Besides the two above changes, I don't think I would do things much differently.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Honestly, I would see the glass half full.
I am terrified of old age, of losing your beauty and so on.
I would be okay with it.
My faith would support me during the last hours. :)

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I've already had to be faced with the imminence of my own mortality a couple different times so any thoughts and realizations on that have already happened. As for actions or changes in my life, that would depend on what the time table would look like. If we are talking within a year, I'd cash out my 401k, make sure my affairs are updated and are in order, then quit my job and spend as much time with loved ones as I could until that day comes

All that said, all these things are subject to change depending on the nature of the illness

rocala

This question certainly provoked a lot of thought. In recent times there have been quite a few deaths but the two which really hit home were that of my mother and my ex-partner. I had not been on speaking terms with my mother for some years. I was very moved when one of my sisters told me that my mother had been expressing guilt about this.
My ex and I had not met for a long time and until I heard of her death I had not realised how much I still felt for her.

So, if I get the bad news I will make mending any bridges between myself and others that need it, a priority. Death brings matters into a very sharp focus, how very silly our quarrels then look.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
-Your thoughts?
-Your actions?
No need for change, and until we are past growing, we are mostly dying, and probably doing both at the same time for many years.

I know I am dying, so no need for anyone to tell me, and I have known this from about the age of seven or eight - which was quite a shock from what I remember. Lately, I have noticed more immediate signs, so I don't expect more than between five or ten years of life at the most.

Would I change my life - as to thoughts and actions? Not really, given I can't see any value in my life (whatever I might do) affecting what I see as a quite dismal future ahead for most - with so many being so self-centred, or simply belief-driven, or perhaps ignorant, so as to most likely ****-up the future for the majority - and some probably preferring to remain in some elite minority until they realise their mistakes. Given they will likely go down with the rest of us.

And this doesn't necessarily come from the current situations we find ourselves in but simply as to how I see our nature. o_O

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'd become more reflective and put some serious thought into where 'I' want to be reborn.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It would depend on several things. Like, mostly, how I felt physically.

Last edited: