• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a god?

NeilPye

The Heretic
What is a god?

Is a god a parent? Someone to love you unconditionally, no matter what? Is a god to rule you with strict dogmas? Or are we all god, all as one?

What makes a god a god, to your definiton?

Onkara

To my mind God is that which is beyond knowing, the ground of all being.
I agree. My experience is that the "personal versus impersonal" aspect of God can lead to more confusion if the approach you, Stephen highlight isn't accepted. It doesn't mean the limitation is the end, rather is allows for more possibilities and expansion in our chosen paths, it seems :)

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
I would like to think of God as another word for existence. And existence itself is nothing other than life.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The Nectar and Ambrosia.
while mortals are cought in wars and political strife, its the gods who are at the top of the game. they start the wars in their dramas and personal power plays, moving mortal armies at a whim.

eris_godofbusyness_871.jpg

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think this is an interesting question. To me personally, I think of God as the ground of being. Like the neoplatonic idea that God is that which all originates from, and that which all will return. Alpha and Omega basically. But I dont have any pure dualistic ideas of God, I dont think hes set rules and will punish those who dont follow, and things of that nature.
I sometimes think of God as the sun, and all beings like the rays that come from the sun; both part of the sun, but not fully the sun, and yet never apart from the sun.

So in a few words, theres a little bit on my idea of God. :D

God is the cause of all causes.

God is the one who there is none above.

God is the the Absolute Truth.

Thats how I look at it. I try to keep it simple. I find that the more complex you allow it to get, the less you really understand!

jml03

God is the reason why I am here, in more ways than one. He is my Father, and loves me and disciplines me as such. He was here before here was here. He is everlasting. Infinite power, Infinite wisdom, Infinite love.

What is a god?

Is a god a parent? Someone to love you unconditionally, no matter what? Is a god to rule you with strict dogmas? Or are we all god, all as one?

The best defination to defince Allah God is describe in Holy Quran ,Surah Ikhlas ( 112:1-4) is:

Say: He is Allah, the One and Only! Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him.

you will find all your answers in this four sentence defination.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
God is the cause of all causes.

God is the one who there is none above.

God is the the Absolute Truth.

Thats how I look at it. I try to keep it simple. I find that the more complex you allow it to get, the less you really understand!

I completely agree!

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
God is both the whole that binds everything together, and god is also a word used to apply to higher ruling entities in that wholeness, that some people choose to render worship to, and some don't. Since these ruling entities called gods are seen as being the first eminations of the godhead, worshipping them can draw one closer to the unity, which we call Netjer and the Hindus call Brahman and the Muslims call Allah.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
The best defination to defince Allah God is describe in Holy Quran ,Surah Ikhlas ( 112:1-4) is:

Say: He is Allah, the One and Only! Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him.

you will find all your answers in this four sentence defination.
Did He not beget His creation?

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Greetings. God may be known as the Source of all being with whom one can realize oneness. Some consider God, ground of being, source, consciousness-itself, trueSelf, Ultimate Reality among other terms to apply to the same reality.

TheMontanankid.

I sort of had an insight when thinking about what god(s) would be..

Right now, I can't conceive of what a god would be. Certainly nothing like Hermes, or Ares, or any of those mythological gods..

Hinduism seems to be pointing somewhere towards the truth imo. but to me a god would be primal yet complex as ****. a god would be a oxymoron.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
gods are manifest energies of God that represent various aspects of existence.

bradholkesvig

God revealed to me this past winter that he was thoughts. Thoughts are infinite, without mass, time or energy. They are everywhere at once and is where all knowledge is.

His first creation had to be a way to communicate those thoughts so he made light energy. We also call this the Word, Jesus Christ, Kingdom of God, Holy Spirit, Heaven, and many other biblical names. This can also be called the logos, knowledge, conscience, understanding, love, grace and truth. The Word was created with all of God's thoughts and our of these thoughts, everything else was created with their own individual thoughts that will last for eternity.

God had to form us bodies so we could experience our thoughts but in this age, he inflicted us with genetic sins to keep us from knowing him. He needed a delusion in the world so these sins caused us all to be liars. This made it easier for the prophets, Jesus and us saints to hear the spoken Word of truth. We either hear it directly in our minds or by listening to the gospel, which is the voice of God spoken by the Word we were created as.

Since we were created as invisible thoughts in God, we will live for eternity. This means the law that says the penalty of sin is death is for all sinners who didn't become a sinless saint. When a sinner dies in the flesh, his penalty will be paid and he'll be freed from his sinful flesh forever. After everyone has died and the earth changes into paradise, we will all get new bodies to live for the rest of eternity.

God bless you,
Brad

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
God is the answer designed to alleviate the fear of unanswerable questions.

Agreed. That says nothing at all on whether it is also a literal reality or not, however.

While I've learned that Hindus have a concept of Nirguna Brahma, such a transcendental God that he is above description and, indeed, above and beyond attributes, it seems to me that the one characteristic that a God must have is some sort of will, lest it become meaningless.

Of course, I don't believe that there is any god, myself.