• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is love?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

the delight of one's heart.

true love is loyalty to what is true. the virtues. those whom delight in virtue.

siti

12416464-Oxytocin-love-hormone-structural-formula-Stock-Vector-oxytocin.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
10/10 - I :heart: oxytocin, but then I'm a chemist by profession - what's your excuse?

LOL. I'm a mathematician, but I love to read biochemistry books (among others). Oxytocin has some very complicated biologic effects, not just for pro-social behaviors. But, yes, very interesting molecule.

Are you aware of the resemblance to vasopressin? There is a conjecture of a gene duplication event. Way cool!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Rumi on love:

“This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”

“Love is the bridge between you and everything.”

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There are several kinds of love, but just one word for all of them.

I think Helen Fisher might be right in that there are distinct neural and chemical pathways to at least three different kinds of love . Erotic, romantic, and attached. But her work doesn't even begin to take into consideration some other kinds of love, such as parent/child.

siti

LOL. I'm a mathematician, but I love to read biochemistry books (among others). Oxytocin has some very complicated biologic effects, not just for pro-social behaviors. But, yes, very interesting molecule.

Are you aware of the resemblance to vasopressin? There is a conjecture of a gene duplication event. Way cool!
Isn't it - I am especially intrigued by the connections of these inherited neurogenetic biochemical processes to 'spirituality' as well as other complex social cognition stuff. But I guess what impresses me most is the creatively elegant frugality with which the evolutionary process has, quite by chance, re-ustilised the same biochemical stuff for a thousand different "purposes" from altruism and breast-feeding to sex and social-order sensitivity.

atanu

Premium Member
Love — the so called emotional-physical response is result of Love — the verve. Realisation of oneness of the being makes the latter process conscious and manifests the former effortlessly.

For most of us however, the former happens unconsciously or through chemicals.

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Try the following google search -

evelynlim.com love

You have to love yourself first before you can truly love other people.

Enjoy your day!

:)