• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between us and a Prophet

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What is the difference between you and me having a message from God and a Prophet recieving the same message?

Is there a difference in Kind between a Prophet and us?

Why would God differentiate?

Forgetting what might be written. Can you think of a reason why God would no longer Have Prophets?

My view is that it is most likely that there are prophets.
It is just that most Churches are so set against them that they are neither acknowledged nor their messages respected?

Terry_______________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Aqualung

Tasty
God gives us revelation about ourselves. He can give us revelation of what sort of job postion we should take, if we should do this or that, and stuff like that. A prophet is authorised to receive revelation about his people. He receives doctrine and revelation not just concerning himself, but concerning the entire church.

I don't believe God doesn't need prophets anymore. Our church still has a prophet.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Terrywoodenpic said:
What is the difference between you and me having a message from God and a Prophet recieving the same message?.
Personally, I believe that when one of us recieve any message so it will indirectly maybe through dreams or some sort of signs in our life. On the other hand, the message recieved by a prophet supposed to be directly from God or via his angels for the guidance of certain human beings or all of them.

Terrywoodenpic said:
Is there a difference in Kind between a Prophet and us?.
a prophet must be mentioned in the pervious holy book as Jesus (PBUH) was mentioned in the Torah for example or when he proofs by miracles that he is a real prophet not false one.

Terrywoodenpic said:
Why would God differentiate?.
Because he choose only pure people whom are the best on earth at that particular time.

Terrywoodenpic said:
Forgetting what might be written. Can you think of a reason why God would no longer Have Prophets?
According to my faith, God decided to have one last Prophet and he was Mohammed (PBUH) who was mentioned in Torah and Injeel who Jewish were waiting for the same as they were waiting for thier Massiah.

Terrywoodenpic said:
My view is that it is most likely that there are prophets.
It is just that most Churches are so set against them that they are neither acknowledged nor their messages respected?.
If they were really prophets so God would make his message spread to the whole world whether those prophets are alive or dead like Moses, Jesus and Mohammed.

jonny

There is no reason why we wouldn't need a prophet today unless God for some reason decided that he was done with us and we are on our own now. :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Aqualung said:
God gives us revelation about ourselves. He can give us revelation of what sort of job postion we should take, if we should do this or that, and stuff like that. A prophet is authorised to receive revelation about his people. He receives doctrine and revelation not just concerning himself, but concerning the entire church.

I don't believe God doesn't need prophets anymore. Our church still has a prophet.
I do not go along with the idea that GOD needs authorization from any one, to decide who he considers a prophet.
This is in God's gift not ours. Nor can we or anyone, but God, decide what or the sort of things, he can revel to anyone.

Terry_________________________
Blessed are those who suffer in the cause of right, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Truth said:
Personally, I believe that when one of us recieve any message so it will indirectly maybe through dreams or some sort of signs in our life. On the other hand, the message recieved by a prophet supposed to be directly from God or via his angels for the guidance of certain human beings or all of them.
I do not rule out that he might do that, even today

a prophet must be mentioned in the pervious holy book as Jesus (PBUH) was mentioned in the Torah for example or when he proofs by miracles that he is a real prophet not false one.
I can see no reason to believe that

Because he choose only pure people whom are the best on earth at that particular time.
I have no reason to believe that either, all men are sinners

According to my faith, God decided to have one last Prophet and he was Mohammed (PBUH) who was mentioned in Torah and Injeel who Jewish were waiting for the same as they were waiting for thier Massiah.
I would never argue that you should not believe that. But it is not a belief Christians share.

If they were really prophets so God would make his message spread to the whole world whether those prophets are alive or dead like Moses, Jesus and Mohammed.
That is the heart of the matter, I am not sure that a modern prophet would be believed, so would not be recognised.

Terry____________________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

robtex

Veteran Member
In the context that most of the posters are Christian and most Christians believe God is omnipresent isn't it a contradiction for God to use or need a prophet at any time when he is everywhere all the time?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Terrywoodenpic said:
What is the difference between you and me having a message from God and a Prophet recieving the same message?

Is there a difference in Kind between a Prophet and us?

Why would God differentiate?

Well, from the traditional Christian and Muslim perspectives, there is no more need for prophets. In Islam, God's word was transmitted perfectly into the Qur'an. We have everything we need to know in that book. In traditional Christianity, God's word was made incarnate in Christ, and all we need to do is accept Him as savior. God doesn't talk to us any more because we already have what we need for salvation.

In my own view, prophecy is not closed. When people turn away from God's will, as they continually do, there needs to be prophets to remind us of the right path. Revelation is ongoing. The role of the prophet isn't just to transmit words that will be institutionalized into dogma. The role of the prophet is to hold people accountable to God's will - that being that God's kingdom be established here on earth, where everyone is treated with justice and compassion. Even kings are not exempt from being held accountable (nor presidents). And a prophet can come from any walk of life, as long as he or she is unafraid to speak the truth.

There's a phrase that's used so often at my church that it's lost its resonance. But every now and then I reflect on what it really means: Speaking Truth to Power. A prophet is one who speaks the truth, even when the powers that be are against her or him. Gandhi was a prophet. Dr King was a prophet. We desperately need a prophet right now.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
lilithu said:
Well, from the traditional Christian and Muslim perspectives, there is no more need for prophets. In Islam, God's word was transmitted perfectly into the Qur'an. We have everything we need to know in that book. In traditional Christianity, God's word was made incarnate in Christ, and all we need to do is accept Him as savior. God doesn't talk to us any more because we already have what we need for salvation.

In my own view, prophecy is not closed. When people turn away from God's will, as they continually do, there needs to be prophets to remind us of the right path. Revelation is ongoing. The role of the prophet isn't just to transmit words that will be institutionalized into dogma. The role of the prophet is to hold people accountable to God's will - that being that God's kingdom be established here on earth, where everyone is treated with justice and compassion. Even kings are not exempt from being held accountable (nor presidents). And a prophet can come from any walk of life, as long as he or she is unafraid to speak the truth.

There's a phrase that's used so often at my church that it's lost its resonance. But every now and then I reflect on what it really means: Speaking Truth to Power. A prophet is one who speaks the truth, even when the powers that be are against her or him. Gandhi was a prophet. Dr King was a prophet. We desperately need a prophet right now.
I would go along with that, Prophets have always spent a lot of their effort warning people. with out fear or favour.

Terry_______________________--

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
robtex said:
In the context that most of the posters are Christian and most Christians believe God is omnipresent isn't it a contradiction for God to use or need a prophet at any time when he is everywhere all the time?
Prophets don't just listen to God They speak out loud and clear.
we can all listen but are we brave enough to speak.

Terry________________________-

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
robtex said:
We can't see God, can we ? we can't hear him ? - There is another thread (From today) which goes into this subject, to some extent. I remember replying that perhaps the reason that we neither see God, nor hear him, is that he might very well exist in a dimention that is at a wavelength beyond that which we have access to (neither sight nor sound).

Would it therefore not be a feasible stretch of the imagination to understand that God would choose a 'host' through whom to communicate ? - That is the prophet.

The difference between 'us' and a 'Prophet' is that God has not chosen 'us' (Unless someone on this forum is keeping very quiet about it........:biglaugh:)

I believe God does 'use' Prophets - though those he uses may not even be aware - what of the scientist, who (Totally by chance) makes a lifesaving discovery ? - one good example of that could be the discovery of penicilin - that was virtually an accident.....

I am not saying "Accept this, because that is how it is" - I am merely offering one scenario that would explain what has been asked.

jonny

robtex said:
I don't think that God is omnipresent in LDS teachings. We believe that he has a glorified body.

Aqualung

Tasty
Terrywoodenpic said:
I do not go along with the idea that GOD needs authorization from any one, to decide who he considers a prophet.
This is in God's gift not ours. Nor can we or anyone, but God, decide what or the sort of things, he can revel to anyone.

Terry_________________________
Blessed are those who suffer in the cause of right, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.
Hmmm. I don't think I expressed myself well. God doesn't need authorisation from us - we need authorisation from him to be a prophet. And anybody can get revelation from God about how to live our individual lives. It's just when it comes to others telling us how to live our lives that we need a prophet. For example, I can't get revelation from god about you, or what sorts of commandments you need to follow, although I could get revelation about what I need to do. But a prophet could get that revalation.

jonny

robtex said:
wow I didn't know that.
It's kinda complicated. We don't believe in the trinity and believe that God the father, son and Holy Ghost are separate. The Holy Ghost could probably be considered Omnipresent, but God the Father and Son wouldn't be...actually it's probably less complicated than the trinity.

Draka

Wonder Woman
If someone were to receive messages from "God" that are intended to be passed on they would have one hell of a problem now. Anyone who was to come out and claim anything like that would be viewed as insane and if they adhered to their story they would most likely be locked up in a psych ward. Unless someone were to be looked upon by a major church as a respectable vehicle for a message to be given through they would most likely be ridiculed and shunned. Look what happened with Joan of Arc. Nowadays things like this are viewed as internal rambling of the mind of an insane person. Looked upon as "how dare they think they are so special as to speak for god". So while there might be "prophets" now, they are most likely ignored or drugged up in a psych ward.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Draka said:
If someone were to receive messages from "God" that are intended to be passed on they would have one hell of a problem now. Anyone who was to come out and claim anything like that would be viewed as insane and if they adhered to their story they would most likely be locked up in a psych ward. Unless someone were to be looked upon by a major church as a respectable vehicle for a message to be given through they would most likely be ridiculed and shunned. Look what happened with Joan of Arc. Nowadays things like this are viewed as internal rambling of the mind of an insane person. Looked upon as "how dare they think they are so special as to speak for god". So while there might be "prophets" now, they are most likely ignored or drugged up in a psych ward.
Does that mean Bush is insane?
Yesterday the reports in the papers were saying, he said he was told by God to go into afganistan, Iraq and also give the palastinians a homeland.

Just wondering!and a bit worried!

Terry_________________________--

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Aqualung said:
Hmmm. I don't think I expressed myself well. God doesn't need authorisation from us - we need authorisation from him to be a prophet. And anybody can get revelation from God about how to live our individual lives. It's just when it comes to others telling us how to live our lives that we need a prophet. For example, I can't get revelation from god about you, or what sorts of commandments you need to follow, although I could get revelation about what I need to do. But a prophet could get that revalation.
That still leaves the problem of who said God can only give messages obout our individual lives to us, and prophets get the works.
You are still restricting Gods power, If God wants to do something ... AMEN.

Terry________________________

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
lilithu said:

In my own view, prophecy is not closed. When people turn away from God's will, as they continually do, there needs to be prophets to remind us of the right path.
Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) did mention in one hadith that God will send every 100 years a good faithfull person among us to remind us when we turn away from the right path.

I believe that God will guide some people to remind us but they are not prophets and they will never come up with a new law.