• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the "Right" word to use ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
As the title say, "Ghost" or "Spirit" ?

I believe that the Apostles creed uses the Words "Holy Ghost", and I can vaguely remember hearing a member saying that he preferred to use one of the two words (can't remember which), because it made a distinction.............

Thoughts everyone; does it matter ? How do you all feel?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin

I believe that the Apostles creed uses the Words "Holy Ghost", and I can vaguely remember hearing a member saying that he preferred to use one of the two words (can't remember which), because it made a distinction.............

I don't think there is a 'right' word. All we have is two different words in English that both mean approximately the same thing but come from different root languages and have slightly different connotations (not exactly unusual - look at all the different English words for smells!). Now, I personally prefer spirit because a.) it is less archaic sounding and b.) ghost has acquired an association (not really in the original) with being a disembodied spirit of the dead. At the end of the day, though, I don't think it really matters which one you use (and at least half the time I'm not even using the English version anyway, given that most of our Liturgy is in Romanian).

James

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I too prefer Spirit It carries less baggage for me.
It also fits better with Soul, which I see as another word for our spirits

However when I see Ghost written on Biblical texts, I do not do a wobbley, as they mean the same thing anyway.

To give up the Ghost once meant exactly that ... now it means to stop trying... words and sayings often change their meaning over time.

A

angellous_evangellous

I prefer "spirit" because "ghost" to me implies the presence of a dead person rather than the Spirit of a living God.

Minister_E

I dont think that it's a matter of right or wrong....Apostolics use Holy Ghost because in Act 2:38 (which is a key scripture in the denomination) it sayes you shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost...thats it...were all talking about the same spirit so use what your confortable

Bucket

I don\'t think there is a right or wrong either. In my denomination we use ghost, and it really has no issue for me, but I can see why some might not like it.

I don't think there really is a correct word as long as the meaning is correct. I was initially introduced to it as Holy Ghost but as I got older it become Holy Spirit. Either way, it depends on what you are probably comfortable with as long as the spiritual essence is the same. After all, we don't say Holy Ghost to refer to the ghost of a priest :p Yeah I know...bad joke...

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Ghost is wrong. It's just wrong. God told me that. I believe it. That settles it.:run:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I agree with everyone; I prefer "Holy Spirit". "Holy Ghost" sounds like a ghost that's holy, instead of, well, the Holy Spirit. :D It doesn't bother me if I see "Holy Ghost", though. It just makes me think of it being archaic. :)