• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the secret of life?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From Dave Allen - a shortened version -

First Man: "The secret of life is to never disagree with anyone."

Second man: "That's not the secret of life!"

First Man: "Okay. That's not the secret of life."

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I guess that a healthy sense of humour would be high on my list.

Without it, life can be a real drag.

Sometimes the only sane response is laughter.

A healthy sense of humour means that you laugh WITH people - you don't laugh AT them.

Sorry if that idea spoils your fun :)

A healthy sense of humour doesn't mean that you can't be serious when it is appropriate.

Here's a dude who really enjoys a good laugh -

All the best!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I largely agree with you about the importance of humor to the quality of one's life. I'd even go so far as to say it is more important than you've let on here (shame on you for not posting a whole online book on the subject!).

For instance, I have noticed that, without humor, it becomes much more difficult for me to adapt to changing circumstances -- and changing circumstances have been all but the single most prominent feature of my life, the most prominent feature being the sight I had of Terri's breasts in the moonlight.

Humor is the lubricant of life.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I guess that a healthy sense of humour would be high on my list.

Without it, life can be a real drag.

Sometimes the only sane response is laughter.

A healthy sense of humour means that you laugh WITH people - you don't laugh AT them.

A healthy sense of humour doesn't mean that you can't be serious when it is appropriate.

Here's a dude who really enjoys a good laugh -

All the best!

I don't know about the secret of life. Well I have a hunch, but whatevs.

Anyways since you brought it up. The secret of comedy is its ok to laugh at anyone. So long as you can laugh when someone else makes fun of you.

So the phrase "Don't dish it, if you can't take it" would be the secret of comedy. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

To me, the key distinction is not whether one is laughing at or with people, but whether or not one's laughter is condemning. Of course, that's largely a subjective matter. Only you can really know if you feel condemnation for someone.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
According to James Taylor:

"the secret to life is enjoying the passage of time,
any fool can do it, there ain't nothing to it"

works for me

Skwim

Veteran Member
Q. What is the secret of life?

A. Chew your food ten times and swallow once.

A. Brush your teeth for five minutes and spit twice.

A. Poop once and wipe five times.​

Notice the changing inverse relationship between the two major necessities of life? It's no coincidence. :D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The secret(s) of life? (three at least)

Don't believe everything you read or think is necessarily true or that your behaviour (and others) can be explained away rather easily. It often takes time for any truths to emerge. :cool: :oops: :D :(

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The answer is can be found in this around 2:33

Ah, Little old Charlie - much on TV earlier .. :D

What I get from this is .. what goes around comes around ... and usually to hit one on the back of one's head whilst looking elsewhere! :D

.. which happened to me once - not a boomerang - but a half-brick that I had catapulted into the air and, losing sight of it, it did indeed fall back to hit me squarely on the head - such is childhood. :rolleyes: :oops: :D

.. and probably accounts for many of my contrary views .. o_O

Jedster

Ah, Little old Charlie - much on TV earlier .. :D

What I get from this is .. what goes around comes around ... and usually to hit one on the back of one's head whilst looking elsewhere! :D

.. which happened to me once - not a boomerang - but a half-brick that I had catapulted into the air and, losing sight of it, it did indeed fall back to hit me squarely on the head - such is childhood. :rolleyes: :oops: :D

.. and probably accounts for many of my contrary views .. o_O

I can relate.
At the age of 12 I was walking briskly along a road when I noticed my friend in a car.So, I turned my head as the car went by and we wre waving at one another......then crash, not the car, I walked into a lamppost. :eek:

Moral: don't turn your head when waving at a passing car and always watch out for those lurking lampposts.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The secret of life? Humor is quite important I think, but humor takes second seat to love. Of course, I'm not talking of the most common kinds of love, but rather of that fairly rare kind that in a single moment renews, restores, and rebirths you.

Shaul

Premium Member
Maybe the real secret to life is that there isn’t one.

Or maybe it’s the hokey pokey.
I know someone that was addicted to the hokey pokey but he turned himself around.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The secret of life? Humor is quite important I think, but humor takes second seat to love. Of course, I'm not talking of the most common kinds of love, but rather of that fairly rare kind that in a single moment renews, restores, and rebirths you.

I feel similarly!

Did you like the gag? Dave Allen is a personal favourite or mine. Along with Monty Python.

“I believe that the ability to laugh at oneself is fundamental to the resiliency of the human spirit.”

Jill Conner Browne

Cheers!