• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the single best piece of advice you've ever received?

Wirey

Fartist
Sit on the curve and take it to left.

When it doubt, fastball, away.

Play the fat guy to pull.

As long as the ball is in your hand, you've got a shot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know how to spell it, or if I even remember the words correctly, but....
"Pak prak kamu orang biji kapulair!" was good advice for a West Javan coworker.

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
"Life has no meaning, but it is itself an opportunity to make it meaningful".

- Buddha.

I think its pretty insightful advice as to how view life and live it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't mix colours and whites. I actually thought that was terrible advice until I realised it was related to washing my shirts.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You ever end up in jail use your phone all to order a pizza, cause I'll pay for a pizza long before I come bail you out.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
From a fifteen year McDonald's vet, when I was sixteen.

''If you are going to lean, put a rag under your hand.''

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think it was some advice from my parents once I got too old for them to just explain a word or something when I asked them: "Look it up".

It frustrated me to no end that they wouldn't just tell me things. "Why should I have to look it up? They know what it means!" But, it taught me self reliance and critical thought. Critical thinking as practically the most important skill any person can ever have. Now, if I dont know something, I find it out!

4consideration

Premium Member
Most people are nice and agreeable, as long as you are agreeing with them and they are getting what they want. Before jumping into a relationship with a person, make sure you get a good look at who they become when you disagree with them, and how they behave when don't give them what they want.

ryobi

Never have sex with a woman who would not be a good mother regardless of what she may have going for her and regardless of whether you plan on having kids with her or not

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
It's hard to say.
I have heard a few pieces of advice that have saved me more than once...

"If it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true".

"Hope for the best, but plan for the worse".

"Don't do anything that you would be ashamed of if your family and friends found out".

Tiberius

Always keep a clear head in a crisis. Afterwards, you can turn into a blubbering wreck, but don't do that until after it's all over. You can't think if you aren't clear, and if you can't think in a crisis, you'll loose every time.

And one I picked up from Michael Crichton... "You always have an option. Maybe not a great option, but there's always something."

Marie75

Liberal
My father once told me when I was about 12..."If everyone likes you, your doing something wrong." I could never understand that until I became a young adult.

Another thing he said, "Everything happens for a reason." He seemed to give me lots of little lecture talks, there's more if I recall I may post.