• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is The Threat That China Imposes Upon Us?

lukethethird

unknown member
...or is it mere propaganda such as the "threat" that Afghanistan, Iraq, Russia, and Grenada, etc. etc. etc. posed upon us?

'us' being western industrialised nations.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
...or is it mere propaganda such as the threat that Afghanistan, Iraq, Russia, and Grenada, etc. etc. etc. posed upon us?
Who is us?
I'm Australian, and the main threats from China relate to substantial control of assets on our mainland, substantial control of our export market, and a willingness to use these in response to criticism on many issues.
Apart from that, there is substantial levels of cyber activitiy originating in China which impacts on us on the daily.
There is also a level of indirect influence China and Australia tussle over in terms of foreign aid to Pacific nations, etc.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
...or is it mere propaganda such as the "threat" that Afghanistan, Iraq, Russia, and Grenada, etc. etc. etc. posed upon us?

'Us' being western industrialised nations.

Whether China poses a threat to the West or not is one thing, but what I can't help but notice is the sudden switch of rhetoric from "Eastasia has always been our ally" to "Eastasia has always been our enemy." (Of course, in today's political culture, I realize how many people believe it's disloyal and unpatriotic to actually "remember" stuff.)

When one notices inexplicable rhetoric shifts and sudden reversals like that, then it's an indicator that something fishy is going on inside our own government. If not, then maybe they just don't understand enough of the world that their conclusions about world events can't really be taken seriously.

lukethethird

unknown member
Who is us?
I'm Australian, and the main threats from China relate to substantial control of assets on our mainland, substantial control of our export market, and a willingness to use these in response to criticism on many issues.
Apart from that, there is substantial levels of cyber activitiy originating in China which impacts on us on the daily.
There is also a level of indirect influence China and Australia tussle over in terms of foreign aid to Pacific nations, etc.
Is this the best fear mongering you can do?

Nimos

'Us' being western industrialised nations.
China is no more threat to us, than others are to them.

It's the usual political power struggle, where countries want to push their own agenda/political ideas upon others.

I think the way you can look at it from an overall point of view, is you can look at different countries and ask whether you would want to live under those circumstances. If the answer is no, then that country is a potential threat to what you consider best. Obviously, the majority of countries don't have the influence that the US, Russia and China have. So it might work on a smaller scale as well. For instance, Denmark is very connected and influenced by Germany, simply because they are bigger and we trade a lot with them. If we imagine that Germany and the US had a serious fallout, then a country like Denmark would probably be greatly affected. Just as a lot of countries bordering Russia are heavily affected by them.

But these massive economies influence on a much larger scale. So it is also a struggle of ideologies, in the west we tend to value freedom of speech etc. Which as far as I know, is not valued very high on China's scale.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this the best fear mongering you can do?
That was fear mongering? Or is this whole thread a fishing expedition?
You might note, I didn't judge who was in 'the right' in these situations, merely that they were areas of outsize control and influence by China. By all means pick one of my points and explain to me the nuance in the Australian-Chinese relationship I am missing.