• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite opera song?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I started this thread hoping someone would post an opera song that I like but know none of the words so can't Google it.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
They're generally referred to as "Arias" or "recitatives" in opera, rather than "songs" (though you may get that from some of the 20th century English composers)

Anyway, I love Ligeti :D

This is three arias from his opera "Le Grande Macabre" stitched together:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
These aren't operas but ballets, but i love The Firebird by Stravinsky and Gayaneh by Khachaturian :)
They're generally referred to as "Arias" or "recitatives" in opera, rather than "songs" (though you may get that from some of the 20th century English composers)

Anyway, I love Ligeti :D

This is three arias from his opera "Le Grande Macabre" stitched together:

Lux Aeterna is just as beautifully eerie too, along with his work on 2001: a Space Odyssey.

Last edited:

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
These aren't operas but ballets, but i love The Firebird by Stravinsky and Gayaneh by Khachaturian :)

Lux Aeterna is just as beautifully eerie too, along with his work on 2001: a Space Odyssey.

He didn't work on 2001 (rather several of his works where used on it) but regardless, I agree. His Requiem for choir and orchestra is a truly amazing work, as is his Lux Aeterna! :)

I love his later Concertos and piano works too ;)

Stravinsky is awesome, his late works are my favorite (including his oratorio "The Flood"). He's got some cool pieces written in those early years, other than just The Firebird and Rite Of Spring, like:

(which is not an opera, unlike The Nightingale but instead a bunch of short songs)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I started this thread hoping someone would post an opera song that I like but know none of the words so can't Google it.

Franz Tunder. 1614-1667

I have a great love for soft vocals in Opera.