• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite quotation of any of the following authors?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
"God is Dead" - Nietzsche

Not because I like the meaning of it, nor do I agree with it.

mainly because people can have fun with it:

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God

"Nietzsche is God" - the Dead

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There are a bunch of Voltaire ones I personally like.
Think of this as a sampler...lol

"Cherish those who seek the truth but beware of those who find it."

"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers."

“Now, now my good man, this is no time to be making enemies."
(Voltaire on his deathbed in response to a priest asking him that he renounce Satan.)”

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
kirkegaard

This is a paraphrase of Kierkegaard: Let me first propose that boredom is the root of all evil. And since no one but a bore would argue against such a trivial point, we may confidently take the point as being unassailable.

That's probably a lousy paraphrase, since I haven't read the relevant passage in 30 years, but that's it to the best of my failing memory.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

This is a paraphrase of Nietzsche: Suppose it is actually true that truth is a woman. What then? Does not the history of philosophy, then, prove that philosophers do not know how to deal with women?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Nietzsche: “In heaven, all the interesting people are clamoring for hell

Voltaire: “Because God does not exist, it was necessary to invent him

Kierkegaard: "Once you label me, I'm just another piece of meat."

underthesun

Terrible with Titles
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
--- Nietzsche

...or something along those lines. I'm paraphrasing.​

Raban

Hagian
Sum of Awe, you just had to go and steal my Nietzsche quote:149:
If I had to choose another it would be
"Once did one believe in soothsayers and astrologers; and therefore did one believe: 'Everything is fate; thou shalt, for thou must!' Then again did one distrust all soothsayers and astrologers; and therefore one did believe: 'Everything is freedom; thou canst, for thou willest!'"

dust1n

Zindīq
"OF ALL that is written, I love only what a person hath written with his blood. Write with blood, and thou wilt find that blood is spirit.

It is no easy task to understand unfamiliar blood; I hate the reading idlers.

He who knoweth the reader, doeth nothing more for the reader. Another century of readers- and spirit itself will stink.

Every one being allowed to learn to read, ruineth in the long run not only writing but also thinking.
Once spirit was God, then it became man, and now it even becometh populace.

He that writeth in blood and proverbs doth not want to be read, but learnt by heart.

In the mountains the shortest way is from peak to peak, but for that route thou must have long legs. Proverbs should be peaks, and those spoken to should be big and tall."

Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Karl R

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Nietzche
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." - Voltaire
"People demand freedom of speech as compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Kirkegaard

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Nietzche
voltaire
kirkegaard

'Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you'. - Nietzche

'Man is free at the moment he wishes to be' - Voltaire

'Be that self which one truly is' - Kirkegaard.

*bonus round:

'Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative' - Oscar Wilde

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
There are so many wonderful Nietzsche quotes, one I enjoy is: "All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth."

Voltaire is probably my favorite; one of those I love is in my signature.

I have not read much Kierkegaard, but I do like: "Once you label me you negate me."

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Weird. For me, CS Lewis is a mix of insight and crap, even whilst discounting our obvious thelogical differences. Bit too preachy. I like Voltaire's realism. But there are a bunch of Lewis quotes I think are great.

'Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.'

'We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.'

But then others just leave me shaking my head, to be honest...

'I was at this time of living, like so many Atheists or Anti-theists, in a whirl of contradictions. I maintained that God did not exist. I was also very angry with God for not existing. I was equally angry with Him for creating a world.'