• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite scripture or saying?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Is there a favorite religiously themed saying or scripture that is your favorite? If so, share it with us.

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
One of my favorite quotes, I do not remember who said it though;

If you put the Christian Bible out in the wind and rain, the ink will smear, pages will tear, and the book will be ruined. My Bible is the wind and rain.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Misery, iniquity, and utter destruction lurk in the shadows outside its full light, where half-truths snare the faithful disciples, the deeply feeling believers, the selfless followers.
Unlike reason, faith and feelings provide no boundary to limit any delusion, any whim.
They are a virulent poison, giving the numbing illusion of moral sanction to every depravity ever hatched.
Faith is a device of self-delusion, a slight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any notion that can be dreamed up.
Faith is an attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim.
It is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes.

Caina

Apostate Heretic
Scriture - Ecclesiastes 3:19
Saying - "We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves. The martyrs go hand in hand into the arena; they are crucified alone. Embraced, the lovers desperately try to fuse their insulated ecstasies into a single self-transcendence; in vain. By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude. Sensations, feelings, insights, fancies - all these are private and, except through symbols and at second hand, incommunicable. We can pool information about experiences, but never the experiences themselves. From family to nation, every human group is a society of island universes. Most island universes are sufficiently like one another to Permit of inferential understanding or even of mutual empathy or "feeling into." Thus, remembering our own bereavements and humiliations, we can condole with others in analogous circumstances, can put ourselves (always, of course, in a slightly Pickwickian sense) in their places. But in certain cases communication between universes is incomplete or even nonexistent. The mind is its own place, and the Places inhabited by the insane and the exceptionally gifted are so different from the places where ordinary men and women live, that there is little or no common ground of memory to serve as a basis for understanding or fellow feeling. Words are uttered, but fail to enlighten. The things and events to which the symbols refer belong to mutually exclusive realms of experience." - Aldous Huxley;)

JayHawes

Isa 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Isa 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.'

Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

Isa 53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Isa 53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Pariah

Let go
Bhagavad Gita -
You grieve for those who are not worthy of grief, and yet speak the words of wisdom.
The wise grieve neither for the living nor for the dead
. (2.11)

There was never a time when I, you, or these kings did not exist;
nor shall we ever cease to exist in the future. (2.12)

Know That, by which all the universe is pervaded, to be indestructible.
No one can destroy the indestructible (Brahman or Atman). (2.17)

Bodies of the eternal, imperishable, and incomprehensible soul are said to be perishable.
Therefore, fight, O Arjuna! (2.18)

Both are fools, who think that Atma is a slayer, and that Atma is slain,
for Atma neither slays nor is slain. (2.19)

The Atma is neither born nor does it die, nor having been, it will cease to exist again.
It is unborn, eternal, and primeval.
The Atma is not destroyed when the body ends. (2.20)

Death is as certain for the born, as birth is for the dead.
Therefore, do not grieve for the inevitable
. (2.27)

Taoism -

The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.

Yet mystery and manifestations
arise from the same source.
This source is called darkness.

Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Eze 4:15-17
(15) Then he said unto me, Lo, I have given thee cow's dung for man's dung, and thou shalt prepare thy bread therewith.
(16) Moreover he said unto me, Son of man, behold, I will break the staff of bread in Jerusalem: and they shall eat bread by weight, and with care; and they shall drink Urine (water) by measure, and with astonishment:
(17) That they may want bread and Urine (water), and be astonied one with another, and consume away for their iniquity.

Found this one the other day and makes a lot of sense....:angel2:

athanasius

This is not from scripture, and should not be taken as scripture. But it is from a apostolic father who was a direct disciple of St John the apostle:

" Wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church"

(St Ignatius of Antioch a true disciple of St John the apostle AD 107 Letter to the Smyrnaeans 7,1)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Is there a favorite religiously themed saying or scripture that is your favorite? If so, share it with us.
If I had to pick only one, it would be this, from the Judeo-Christian tradition:

Micah 6:8
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Wisdom_Seeker

Speaker of my Truth
Its difficult to choose 1, but I think this one fits the glove:

(Yeshua) "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: And with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" (Matt. 7:1-4)

Smoke

Done here.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;
for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom,
in the grave, whither thou goest.

Or, as my Great-Grandma used to say, "Try to enjoy your life. It's going to go by a lot faster than you think."

And my second favorite is this:

He that blesseth his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted a curse to him.

In other words, I don't care if you're cheerful in the morning; just don't be cheerful at me.

Smoke

Done here.
Scriture - Ecclesiastes 3:19
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts;
even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other;
yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast:
for all is vanity.

I like that one, too.

Sonic247

Ephesians 3:17-19-
That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what [is] the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.