• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is your purpose in life?

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
I don't have one. And personally, I think it would be very short-sighted to assign myself one, whether it be based on my own individual longings or a greater being's aspirations and/or expectations of me.

The only way I could possibly imagine having a 'purpose', a single primary objective which I place above all other goals and personal designs, would be if I attained an unlimited, omniscient perspective thereby allowing me to know what is indeed best and what this universe needs the most.

Without that sort of infinite knowledge, I could very well assign myself a purpose that is woefully misguided, right? For example, I could establish my purpose in life to be raising chickens. But what if chickens turn out to be the bane of the natural world. What if raising chickens is an evil purpose, unbeknownst to me because of my limited, mortal perspective. Woe to the man who rashly rushes into chicken farming, woe unto him, I say.

No, I want no purpose and I certainly ain't raising no dang chickens. So it goes.

tothen

That's a deep question. I guess everyone has a purpose and I am no different. I'd say it is to affect alot of people through my art.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
To live, and be happy. To make the most out of the time we have here and do the best I can in everything, whilst enjoying every second of it. Also, to appreciate the land the way it is, and not destroy it.

mohammed_beiruti

Do you have a purpose? If so, what is it. And what do you hope to get out of it?

let suppose I do have a one? suppose I gained my demand?

would it last for ever? of course not?

so getting your purpose temporarily, is not really matters!

for example, someone may dream about having a family, he would enjoy this for a limited period of time then he will pass away.

BruceDLimber

Do you have a purpose? If so, what is it. And what do you hope to get out of it?

According to the Baha'i scriptures our purpose here is twofold:

• To acquire the spiritual virtues we'll need both here and in the Next Life, and
  • in aggregate, to carry forward an ever-advancing, spiritually-based civilization.
And the purpose of religion is to show us HOW to go about this!

(As to what I expect to get out of this, a far better start to the Next Life <which we ALL go to, for eternity>.)

Peace, :)

Bruce

lilmama1991

my purpose is to serve jehovah and try my best to do right, i dont expect to get anything in return i just love and appreciate everything he do for his people. i would love for my immediate family and the witnesses jehovah see fit to make it to the new world but if not im still going to keep praying and trying everything possible to do the best i can and atleast make him proud