• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes Capital Punishment Compatible With Christianity?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Well, it was practiced in the prior religion, Judaism, and there doesn't appear to be any clear injunction in anything in the NT.

If anything, maybe this applies:

"Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is Gods."

Personally, I take whatever arguments I have for or against capital punishment from outside the realm of religion anyway, though it does have its moral angle, of course.

Napoleon

Well, it was practiced in the prior religion, Judaism, and there doesn't appear to be any clear injunction in anything in the NT.

Quite correct. If Christians want to believe that Jesus did not change any of the Mosaic Laws then they will have to accept that capital punishment is justified in the context of their religion. Of course, I've always found such a view to be humorous in the face of the fact that Jesus openly violated some Mosaic Law.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Quite correct. If Christians want to believe that Jesus did not change any of the Mosaic Laws then they will have to accept that capital punishment is justified in the context of their religion. Of course, I've always found such a view to be humorous in the face of the fact that Jesus openly violated some Mosaic Law.

From a Christian point of view (and probably my own as well), Jesus openly violated some religious leaders' versions of Mosaic Law more than the Law itself. He was not especially impressed with some of the religious leaders of His time, for a variety of reasons.

If He did violate Mosaic Law, however, He had every right to do so. Just as the Law that Moses received on Sinai did not just repeat everything that had come before from Abraham on either.

It doesn't take a lot of examination of religious history to see that the Founders of religions habitually abrogate some of the previous laws -- usually stuff having to do with dietary laws, particular prayer customs, marriage and divorce laws, and the like.

So if Jesus did that, well, it was a perfectly normal thing for HIm to be doing anyway.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It costs more money to warehouse a person than it does to educate someone in college each year. People on death row are parasites to the economy.

I say put in an express lane and get er done.

Napoleon

From a Christian point of view (and probably my own as well), Jesus openly violated some religious leaders' versions of Mosaic Law more than the Law itself.

He violated the law as it was written, presumably, by Moses not anyone's interpretation.

If He did violate Mosaic Law, however, He had every right to do so.

In the context of the prophesied Messiah, no he did not. The prophesied Messiah was/is to obey and uphold the law not violate it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
He violated the law as it was written, presumably, by Moses not anyone's interpretation.

Reading is interpretation.

(Can you name an example of a violation? It might be helpful.)

In the context of the prophesied Messiah, no he did not. The prophesied Messiah was/is to obey and uphold the law not violate it.

And if God wants to tweak His law in some small ways to fit the needs of the time, I would suggest that is His right to do so.

One may argue that God does not change, and I would agree with that, however, it's obvious that humanity *does* change. What worked for us 4000 years ago might not entirely work so well now.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
What worked for us 4000 years ago might not entirely work so well now.

Why? What has changed? People still fall in love, people still get their hearts broken. People still have joy and sorrow, pleasure and pain.

Every generation somehow feels their generation is different. :ignore:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It's not a matter of "compatible with Christianity." It really is a non-issue, where Xy is concerned, or a matter of selecting what is perceived to be the lesser of two evils. Christianity has nothing to do with evil, so Christianity cannot be part of the equation.

Vor

If anything, maybe this applies:

"Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is Gods."

Personally, I take whatever arguments I have for or against capital punishment from outside the realm of religion anyway, though it does have its moral angle, of course.

he was talking about whether to pay a tax or not. Taking things out of context like this is dangerous. For example:

Acts 1:13
When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James.

So we should all go upstairs to the room we are staying

rajakrsna

Cows are slaughtered 24 hours a day as if it`s capital punishment to be reincarnated into a cow(hinduism) in the western world. Did Jesus Christ tell his disciples to slaughter cows(animals) & roast them for dinner?:shrug:

4ton Mantis

It costs more money to warehouse a person than it does to educate someone in college each year. People on death row are parasites to the economy.

I say put in an express lane and get er done.

whatever happened to thou shalt not kill? i don't remember reading a conditional statement in there anywhere. 95% of religious people i've ever met are hypocrites. and if there is a god, nobody on earth has got it right.