• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What reality do these people live in?

Nimos

As everyone has probably heard some sabotage was done to some gas pipes etc.

I assume all European countries and the US, probably the whole world have a pretty good idea of who is behind it.

Yet you have Putin going out calling it an act of terror, who exactly is he trying to fool with this? Obviously, he is blaming the US for this, but who is he trying to convince by saying this? It's not like Germany, India, China or whoever he is trying to fool goes away after such a statement thinking, "clearly the US did it then, because Putin said so."

What is the point of Russia saying something like this? What type of twisted reality do these people live in, where they think they can fool each other like this?

MikeF

Premium Member

I assume all European countries and the US, probably the whole world have a pretty good idea of who is behind it.

Yet you have Putin going out calling it an act of terror, who exactly is he trying to fool with this? Obviously, he is blaming the US for this, but who is he trying to convince by saying this? It's not like Germany, India, China or whoever he is trying to fool goes away after such a statement thinking, "clearly the US did it then, because Putin said so."

What is the point of Russia saying something like this? What type of twisted reality do these people live in, where they think they can fool each other like this?

As with much propaganda, it is probably for domestic consumption. Putin is currently gearing up a draft. If the attack on the pipeline can engender outrage in Russia's young men by painting it as a direct attack on Russia by the US or Nato, his draft campaign may be more successful or at least meet less resistance.

AlexanderG

Russian civic culture is so thoroughly based on lies, gaslighting, and propaganda, that I think people like Putin assume every other country does the same. I think he honestly can't imagine democracies being less corrupt and self-serving, because it's all he's familiar with. He can't understand how transparent a liar he looks to the rest of us.

It becomes an exercise in projection that is entirely predictable. Joseph Goebbels said, "Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty." We see this behavior in most autocratic dictators. We also saw this repeatedly with Trump, where he would accuse others of oddly specific crimes, only for revelations to emerge a few months later that he was being investigated for that crime based on a great deal of new evidence.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Someone is always accusing the United States of doing something or other around the world.

As for who he's trying to convince, probably his own people. That's usually the case when they make these kinds of public statements. If they really had something solid they wanted to share with or communicate to other governments, they would go through diplomatic channels.

AlexanderG

As another example of awkwardly incompetent lies, here was Russia announcing it had raided the apartment of a Western assassin. In the picture showing the evidence, there were Nazi paraphernalia, but also 3 Sims games, and a document signed "signature unclear."

The FSB officer staging the event had clearly mistaken the Sims video game for SIM cards, which are used in cell phone spoofing, and had taken the signature line in the fake document too literally. :rolleyes: You just don't see other countries doing this, lmao.

Journalists mocked Russia's spy agency after copies of the 'Sims 3' video game were spotted in a clip of agents allegedly foiling an assassination plot

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Considering the contribution of Tucker Carlson to the Russian propaganda machine...

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member

Yet you have Putin going out calling it an act of terror, who exactly is he trying to fool with this? Obviously, he is blaming the US for this, but who is he trying to convince by saying this?
Take no notice .. he's lost the plot. :(

Brian2

Veteran Member

He would be trying to keep his supporters, those who might half belief him but who are losing confidence. Isn't this what Trump did. Nobody believed him except his followers and so he kept feeding them more lies about how bad the other side was and they believed it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

There are people dumb enough to believe it, especially if they also believe some goofy narrative that it gels with.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
While I definitely wouldn't put it past the Russian propaganda machine to false flag this prior to drafts, its not like the US hasn't done this exact same thing before:
In January 1982, President Ronald Reagan approved a CIA plan to sabotage the economy of the Soviet Union through covert transfers of technology that contained hidden malfunctions, including software that later triggered a huge explosion in a Siberian natural gas pipeline, according to a new memoir by a Reagan White House official.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...soviets/a9184eff-47fd-402e-beb2-63970851e130/

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Putin has embarked on his path and will use whatever he thinks will achieve his aims, even if he knows that the cost will be far too great. He has become irrational in many ways, like the annexation of the areas in Ukraine. No rational government accepts such, and presumably all he does now is for home consumption. But even here he has lost the plot, given that so many in Russia are not with him or his regime. And perhaps the fear of an actual nuclear war occurring has spooked them. Far too great a cost to any with a working brain. :oops: