• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion is spreading like wildfire?

What is? I think Islam is spreading quite a lot. But then again, in China, they have permitted BAPS (a hindu org) to build a huge mandir complex.

Somkid

I guess it is no surprise but Islam seems to be the biggest, however there are many Westerners coming to Thailand to study Buddhism, while I personally think Thai Buddhism needs a drastic reform as do many Thai monks it seems to work with Westerners.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
new age/inner-life/"God Within" spiritualities are growing the fastest out of all religions in Britain.

Popeyesays

What is? I think Islam is spreading quite a lot. But then again, in China, they have permitted BAPS (a hindu org) to build a huge mandir complex.

China has always tolerated religions picking and choosing amongst them and Chinifying them. The Vizier of Kubla Khan's court was a Muslim for instance.

Percentage wise the Baha`i Faith has grown from 20,000 believers in 1892 to roughly seven million in 110 years. According to statistics on adherents.com the membership at the time of the election of the first Universal House of Justice in 1963 was about 400,000 world-wide. There are six million to seven million today. There were half a million in Persia before Khomeini that's down to 340,000. There are more than a million today in India, and the Lotus Baha`i Temple outside New Delhi has displaced the Taj Mahal as the prime visitor's site in India..

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

no one would believe it :)

It would be difficult to tell apathy from disbelief. The two categories are distinct, but would tend to blur using any other criteria than personal declaration.

There is a survey done every few years that tracks religious belief by self-declaration only. In other words it is interested only in the person's stated affiliation whether they can be considered members of established organizations or not. The survey consistently shows about three times the number of Baha`i's in the US than Baha'i membership records.

I am sure that's fairly true across the board.

Regards,
Scott

tomspug

Absorbant
It totally depends on which part of the world you are looking at.

Most definitely Islam is the fastest growing religion in most European countries. This is thanks much in part to the funding of the Saudi Arabian government and their mosque-building programs. Ironically, while this very conservative religion blossoms, Christianity continues to fade.

Um, America? I'm not sure. Christianity isn't fading, but I think there is a major shift AWAY from traditional denominations towards more open-minded ones. I am also being told that Catholicism is growing here too.

Southeast Asia is definitely experiencing an explosion of Christianity, although I'm not sure if this includes India. The Arab and Western Asia countries... who knows! Non-muslim religions aren't exactly tolerated there, although I've heard good things coming out of Iraq that contradict this.

I don't know about South America and Africa.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Percentage wise the Baha`i Faith has grown from 20,000 believers in 1892 to roughly seven million in 110 years. According to statistics on adherents.com the membership at the time of the election of the first Universal House of Justice in 1963 was about 400,000 world-wide. There are six million to seven million today.
True Scott, but sadly, the simple reality is that the Baha'i Faith is still little more than a "fringe" religion with very few followers.

Popeyesays

True Scott, but sadly, the simple reality is that the Baha'i Faith is still little more than a "fringe" religion with very few followers.

Major Religions Ranked by Size

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
  2. Islam: 1.5 billion
  3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
  4. Hinduism: 900 million
  5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
  6. Buddhism: 376 million
  7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
  8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
  9. Sikhism: 23 million
  10. Juche: 19 million
  11. Spiritism: 15 million
  12. Judaism: 14 million
  13. Baha'i: 7 million
  14. Jainism: 4.2 million
  15. Shinto: 4 million
  16. Cao Dai: 4 million
  17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
  18. Tenrikyo: 2 million
  19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million
  20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
  21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
  22. Scientology: 500 thousand
Regards,

Scott

Popeyesays

Classical World Religions Ranked by Internal Religious Similarity:
Most Unified to Most Diverse

1. Baha'i
  2. Zoroastrianism
  3. Sikhism
  4. Islam
  5. Jainism
  6. Judaism
  7. Taoism
  8. Shinto
  9. Christianity
  10. Buddhism
  11. Hinduism
    Also from adherents .com
Regards,
Scott

Classical World Religions Ranked by Internal Religious Similarity:
Most Unified to Most Diverse
  1. Baha'i
  2. Zoroastrianism
  3. Sikhism
  4. Islam
  5. Jainism
  6. Judaism
  7. Taoism
  8. Shinto
  9. Christianity
  10. Buddhism
  11. Hinduism
    Also from adherents .com
Regards,
Scott

What do these rankings mean? I dont get the title.

Popeyesays

What do these rankings mean? I dont get the title.

It means MOST unified under a single authority. Baha`i's in excess of 95% all recognize the same authority--the Universal House of Justice and the World Center in Haifa.

There are many branches in Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc..

Regards,
Scott

rojse

RF Addict
When you say "spreading like wildfire", do you mean a religion that sets trees and houses alight, makes people flee their homes for safety, and has all of the fire brigade out in their uniforms and trucks with high pressure hoses?

Francine

When you say "spreading like wildfire", do you mean a religion that sets trees and houses alight, makes people flee their homes for safety, and has all of the fire brigade out in their uniforms and trucks with high pressure hoses?

No, that's the US airstrikes trying to stop the spread of the religion in question.