• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should Be Done About Erotic Dance?

Which of these two strategies would you choose?

• Total voters

Titanic

In this hypothetical situation I voted ban erotic dance. If were going to change it in a way were it is less fun to watch, then in my book we might as well not have it.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
In this hypothetical situation I voted ban erotic dance. If were going to change it in a way were it is less fun to watch, then in my book we might as well not have it.

I think to ban something like erotic dance could possibly create a similar experience to what happened when they tried banning rock and roll. Makes people want it more.

Titanic

I think to ban something like erotic dance could possibly create a similar experience to what happened when they tried banning rock and roll. Makes people want it more.

I would never actually want to ban erotic dance. I frequent strip clubs quite a bit. I was just saying if its going to be less fun to watch, then I would rather not watch it at all.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Reforming erotic dance will do nothing to keep certain people from objectifying the dancer. That is something that the people watching have to be taught (I didn't say men since there are male erotic dancers, too, and not to mention that some women like watching women and men like watching men).
So, instead of reforming erotic dance, the people watching need education. (Sorry, Sunstone, if you believe this is off-topic).

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I would never actually want to ban erotic dance. I frequent strip clubs quite a bit. I was just saying if its going to be less fun to watch, then I would rather not watch it at all.

Lol. Well when people say erotic dance, I actually think of things like belly dancing. Probably because I see that as more erotic than strip clubs, probably because strippers outfits are more explicit and not much is left to the imagination so not as tantilising.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Reforming erotic dance will do nothing to keep certain people from objectifying the dancer. That is something that the people watching have to be taught (I didn't say men since there are male erotic dancers, too, and not to mention that some women like watching women and men like watching men).
So, instead of reforming erotic dance, the people watching need education. (Sorry, Sunstone, if you believe this is off-topic).

Exactly.

Titanic

Lol. Well when people say erotic dance, I actually think of things like belly dancing. Probably because I see that as more erotic than strip clubs, probably because strippers outfits are more explicit and not much is left to the imagination so not as tantilising.

I guess I misunderstood the topic...

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Please assume, for the sake of discussion, that you are a social engineer concerned with the betterment of society. Further assume, if you will, that you firmly believe the sexual objection of women is profoundly wrong. Moreover, you are aware that it is typical for people watching erotic dancers (i.e. strippers) to sexually objectify them. Next, please assume that you wish to change that.

Now, here are two strategies for changing things. Please choose one of them:

(1) Abolish (ban) erotic dance by law.

(2) Do not abolish erotic dance, but do any number of things -- whatever it takes -- to both keep erotic dance and reduce or eliminate the tendency of people watching it to sexually objectify the dancers.

If you have chosen the first strategy, please explain in the thread why you have chosen that strategy.

If you have chosen the second strategy, please explain in the thread (1) why you have chosen that strategy, and (2) the tactics you will use to implement it.

Note: For the purposes of this thread, let's define the "sexual objectification" of someone as thinking of a person as no more than their sexuality, and treating them as if that were true. So, for instance, if you were to sexually objectify a woman, you might ignore everything else about her -- her intelligence, her interests in life, her personality, her behavior, etc. -- except her sexual attributes. Or, you might put a sexual "spin" on everything she does and says ("You feel sick and want to go home? Hey, I have a home! Why don't you come back to my place and have sex with me?").

I don't think that erotic dance should be banned.

Giving the industry a face lift will not change the minds of those who see erotic art as sexual artform. When a woman undresses or acts erotically for the purpose of the paying customer, what she's projecting is easily objectified, as it's a product to be sold.

Whenever a woman removes her clothing for a living, she must CHOOSE whether or not sexual objectification, which is par for the course and will always be par for the course, justifies her participation in such an occupation. Whether she's doing it for folly or for what she defines as necessity...it's HER choice. Only she can answer to internal questions of self-confidence, self-acceptance and self-love. And only she can determine or own comfort level and enjoyment level in such an arena.

I don't think any measure to change the manner in which erotica is presented will change the fact that people will naturally objectify that which isn't truly theirs to touch, feel and enjoy, outside the auspices of visual gratification.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I completely disagree with the premises, but, for the sake of discussion and given I was forced to those two options, I had to choose the one that didnt imply forcing women to not do what they want with their bodies even though the only people """hurt""" (for the sake of the assumption) are them.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Please assume, for the sake of discussion, that you are a social engineer concerned with the betterment of society. Further assume, if you will, that you firmly believe the sexual objection of women is profoundly wrong. Moreover, you are aware that it is typical for people watching erotic dancers (i.e. strippers) to sexually objectify them. Next, please assume that you wish to change that.

Now, here are two strategies for changing things. Please choose one of them:

(1) Abolish (ban) erotic dance by law.

(2) Do not abolish erotic dance, but do any number of things -- whatever it takes -- to both keep erotic dance and reduce or eliminate the tendency of people watching it to sexually objectify the dancers.

If you have chosen the first strategy, please explain in the thread why you have chosen that strategy.

If you have chosen the second strategy, please explain in the thread (1) why you have chosen that strategy, and (2) the tactics you will use to implement it.

Note: For the purposes of this thread, let's define the "sexual objectification" of someone as thinking of a person as no more than their sexuality, and treating them as if that were true. So, for instance, if you were to sexually objectify a woman, you might ignore everything else about her -- her intelligence, her interests in life, her personality, her behavior, etc. -- except her sexual attributes. Or, you might put a sexual "spin" on everything she does and says ("You feel sick and want to go home? Hey, I have a home! Why don't you come back to my place and have sex with me?").
What about male strippers? Anyone complaining about them? I mean I'm a male femnist but this seems to be a bit far. Either reform ALL erotic dance for the sake of whatever you fight for or don't at all. Magic mike seemed to objectify men but no one seemed to care.

Me Myself

Back to my username
What about male strippers? Anyone complaining about them? I mean I'm a male femnist but this seems to be a bit far. Either reform ALL erotic dance for the sake of whatever you fight for or don't at all. Magic mike seemed to objectify men but no one seemed to care.

Pay attention. For the purposes of this thread stripping affects the objectification of women.

Male strippers are strippers thus, they are abig problem causing objectification of women.

Just work on these premises :p

Me Myself

Back to my username
I find anorexic models to be an actual problem to women.

Actually in a way, I do completely see vallet as being problematic to women's self image.

Not becaue vallet is wrong but because of... well, complex stuff, but in summary, the image in most guy's head of the perfect female body has a lot more healthy shaped fat than the idealized image in most women's heads about the idealized perfect female body.

People will of course have general body preferences. This is not a problem. Having unhealthy body preferences on the other hand is a BIG problem.

This means we should aspire to depict healthy bodyfat as sexy. Of course, this is what most men already think as sexy. I have no idea why fashion designers have something so different in mind.

So if we were to ban something, (and I am not at all towards the ban camp on anything that can be avoided to be banned) I would ban depiction of anorexic or obese female bodies as "sexy"