• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should Be Done About Erotic Dance?

Which of these two strategies would you choose?

• Total voters

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
(2) Do not abolish erotic dance, but do any number of things -- whatever it takes -- to both keep erotic dance and reduce or eliminate the tendency of people watching it to sexually objectify the dancers.

If you have chosen the second strategy, please explain in the thread (1) why you have chosen that strategy, and (2) the tactics you will use to implement it.
I'm for #2. I chose 2 because it made me smile. To implement it I advocate random role reversal - One exposure to a sweaty, hairy beer belly upside down in a g-string on a chrome pole would be enough to ensure dancers are never objectified again by any unfortunate enough to witness such a sight.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm for #2. I chose 2 because it made me smile. To implement it I advocate random role reversal - One exposure to a sweaty, hairy beer belly upside down in a g-string on a chrome pole would be enough to ensure dancers are never objectified again by any unfortunate enough to witness such a sight.

LMAO! Hilarious! And quite likely true, too! Damnit, Stephen, you've nailed that one!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I would reform. I'd suggest that by allowing erotic dance to occur outside dimly lit clubs that constantly play Motley Crue's "Girls, Girls, Girls" and refer to their dancers as "Ginger" might help in revealing the art behind the dance and the dancer as an artist.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I would reform. I'd suggest that by allowing erotic dance to occur outside dimly lit clubs that constantly play Motley Crue's "Girls, Girls, Girls" and refer to their dancers as "Ginger" might help in revealing the art behind the dance and the dancer as an artist.

We already have enough crap in the world masquerading as "art." Maybe we could let some things just be what they are, and suppress the ridiculous, modern need to elevate every mundane activity to some exalted level of artistic expression and creative insight.

Flankerl

If an "erotic dancer"(you americans are so prude that its cute) has a problem with being "sexually objectified" he or she should probably stop throwing their sex literally into the face of the customer.

This is so stupid.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
We already have enough crap in the world masquerading as "art." Maybe we could let some things just be what they are, and suppress the ridiculous, modern need to elevate every mundane activity to some exalted level of artistic expression and creative insight.

Sure. Just following the rules of the game.

Maybe we could let some things just be what they are and supress the ridiculous, time-honored need to expand every thought into a general criticism.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I suggest the reform of erotic dance through the implementation of poetry readings at strip clubs. While the girls strip naked they could recite original compositions thereby showcasing their "natural" assets simultaneously with their intellect.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
If an "erotic dancer"(you americans are so prude that its cute) has a problem with being "sexually objectified" he or she should probably stop throwing their sex literally into the face of the customer.

This is so stupid.

That's not how it works here. In America the stripper girls are all victims simply being pawned by men. Also, what are these girls called in Germany if not erotic dancers?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm sorry, I don't get your joke.

It was a joke?

You said that describing someone by body parts meant objectification (with the example of penumbra's tale) then you positively reinforced a "...a sweaty, hairy beer belly upside down in a g-string on a chrome pole..." joke

I mean I have nothing against such joke, but how is it any different than "you saw how saggy her breasts were?" kinda comments?

Flankerl

That's not how it works here. In America the stripper girls are all victims simply being pawned by men. Also, what are these girls called in Germany if not erotic dancers?

They strip naked. So they are called "strippers".

But there are almost no striptease bars in germany. From a friend i know its even quite ridiculous because you have to buy fake US dollars to pay them because there are no 1 Euro bills.

And why are there no striptease bars? Because it makes no sense here.

Me Myself

Back to my username
They strip naked. So they are called "strippers".

But there are almost no striptease bars in germany. From a friend i know its even quite ridiculous because you have to buy fake US dollars to pay them because there are no 1 Euro bills.

And why are there no striptease bars? Because it makes no sense here.

So they only go for private hire to places I assume?

Why doesnt it make sense? could you elaborate?

Flankerl

Well people think different about naked people. Its just not that special to see someone naked.
Probably on some TV channel a naked woman is advertising some kind of shower gel right now.

There are probably far more brothels than strip clubs.(and yeah prostitution is legal)

Please assume, for the sake of discussion, that you are a social engineer concerned with the betterment of society. Further assume, if you will, that you firmly believe the sexual objection of women is profoundly wrong. Moreover, you are aware that it is typical for people watching erotic dancers (i.e. strippers) to sexually objectify them. Next, please assume that you wish to change that.

Now, here are two strategies for changing things. Please choose one of them:

(1) Abolish (ban) erotic dance by law.

(2) Do not abolish erotic dance, but do any number of things -- whatever it takes -- to both keep erotic dance and reduce or eliminate the tendency of people watching it to sexually objectify the dancers.

Why not just give people the freedom to do what they want.

If I want to watch erotic dancing then let me, if I want to be a dance then let me.

What's with all this old-fashioned control anyway?