• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Was the First Religion?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I believe the first religion is reflected in every other; in other words, if we take what is essential to all today's religious beliefs we would arrive at something resembling the first religion.

BFD_Zayl

one of the many pagan religions that cropped up, as soon as man was able to think freely, he worshipped something.

Rolling_Stone

The oldest living religion is Hinduism, and the reason it's survived for so long is because it is so adaptable to changing conditions and it displays a tolerant attitude of adoption toward other religions: Buddha and even Christ have been claimed to be incarnations of Vishnu.

Pariah

Let go
The oldest living religion is Hinduism, and the reason it's survived for so long is because it is so adaptable to changing conditions and it displays a tolerant attitude of adoption toward other religions: Buddha and even Christ have been claimed to be incarnations of Vishnu.

While I agree Hinduism being the most adaptable, peaceful, and tolerant of the major religions, it was and is the first and oldest organized religion, not the oldest religion period.

Cave paintings tell us that mother goddess worship, or worship of woman occurred before the Neolithic revolution took place. During the Neolithic revolution, mankind settled down and began to farm, leaving time for the man to further his stay at home, instead of out on the hunt. Patriarchal society formed shortly after.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The first Religion that is found in a structured culture was that of the Sumerian and that of Marduk, Enki, and Inanna.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The oldest religion? Could be that one in a Cro Magnon cave that I saw pictures of in my physical anthro class, the one with the Chimera painting. That was at least 70,000 years ago. :yoda:

cardero

Citizen Mod
What Was the First Religion?
Before there were any humans there was an established belief system called GODism, this religion holds a particular interest to me. Many people today try to ascribe this as new age, I prefer to call it the First Age.

JayHawes

If we beleive tha account of the Bible the earliest religion would be one closely related to Judaism, as it is the oldest religion that exists today, Judaism is most likely the oldest religion....if we believe in pre-Adam men, or pre-humans, since there are no written records and only pictures we can only assume.

Aqualung

Tasty
HaHaHa! Would these be the Beforemons?

Sure, I guess. The Pearl of Great Price taught that Adam and Eve were taught the gospel and practiced it, during what was the first dispensation. Since this is the last dispensation, I can imagine that the gist of it was much the same (with the addition of revelation specific for their day just as we have revelation specific for our day).

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure, I guess. The Pearl of Great Price taught that Adam and Eve were taught the gospel and practiced it, during what was the first dispensation. Since this is the last dispensation, I can imagine that the gist of it was much the same (with the addition of revelation specific for their day just as we have revelation specific for our day).

It's all a mute point. I don't see how anyone can argue against the priority of Pancakism now that we have the Dead Sea Skillets.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
If we define religion as a set of beliefs and practices generally held by a community, involving adherence to codified beliefs and rituals - 'Oxford Dictionary'
The first communities were in Egypt and Sumer therefore the religions that were developed there would be the first.