• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would a religious person do?

PennyKay

Physicist
This is a question that I would like the more religious inclined members on this forum to answer:

'If a loved one, or even just a stranger got knocked over by a car/bus in front of you, what would you do first? Pray? or phone 999/911?'

(Theoretically, a religious person should choose to pray first, as their belief in God is supposed to be more powerful than their trust in science (which is evident from reading this forum)).

Please give a honest answer and your reason why.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I could hardly be described as being religious but I would think a normal person nowadays would call 911 and pray while they waited for the ambulance to arrive. Any other reaction would be irresponsible.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I'd get my torches and burn the bus. Nothing good can come out of a vehicle that doesnt need horses.

What kind of a weird question is this?

Now that's awesome.:yes:

I'd frubal you, but my smartphone is stupid.

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
...I would think a normal person nowadays would call 911 and pray while they waited for the ambulance to arrive. Any other reaction would be irresponsible.

This is my thought as well.

I'd get my torches and burn the bus. Nothing good can come out of a vehicle that doesnt need horses.

What kind of a weird question is this?

lol

Eldameldo

I'd pray first but as I was making the call. Because God works in many different ways. He may choose to save him through the medics.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This is an odd question. I can't imagine even the most religious person doing anything other than reacting first, praying later.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I'd pray first but as I was making the call. Because God works in many different ways. He may choose to save him through the medics.
Sorry, but this choice has been already made before the guy was born. It ain't like god is going to flip a coin and take heads or tails.:rolleyes:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Ever hear that joke about the man stuck on the roof during a flood?

He didn't take the boat, because 'God would save me'
And he didn't take the helicopter, as he believed 'God would save me'....
And when he got to heaven, after the flood eventually drowned him...
He asked God 'why didn't you save me?'
God said 'WHAT DID YOU THINK THE BOAT AND HELICOPTER WERE???'

I'd call 911 ;)

A little to add to this... to completely indulge the question.....

I used to work in a greenhouse that was surrounded by Amish farms.
One day there was a BAD accident on a piece of machinery, involving the farmers son.
Amos ran across the road to the greenhouse as our phone was closer than the communal phone that 2-3 farmers split.
I considered him very religious and he used the phone to call 911.
Then we all prayed together around his son, who died in his Father's arms.
Internal bleeding from being crushed killed him.

Hope that 'answers' your question well enough for you.

:namaste
SageTree

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
This is a question that I would like the more religious inclined members on this forum to answer:

'If a loved one, or even just a stranger got knocked over by a car/bus in front of you, what would you do first? Pray? or phone 999/911?'

(Theoretically, a religious person should choose to pray first, as their belief in God is supposed to be more powerful than their trust in science (which is evident from reading this forum)).

Why can't an inward prayer be said at the same time as calling 911?

magalaan

That is a very narrow-minded approach of something as general as "religion".

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

What kind of question is this?

Your assumption that "a religious person should choose to pray first" is wrong. Not all religious people see prayer as a way to get God to do things. Prayer, for some religious people, is a method of self-refinement and meditation rather then an ordering service.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Call 911.

Supposing that a religious person would pray first is ridiculous. It presumes that to be religious is the same as being an extreme fundamentalist. But most religious people are not fundamentalists, extreme or otherwise (those people are just louder than the rest of us). Most religious people do not pretend to live in a world of pure faith, but understand that faith is a tool to use in our lives to make the real world better.

I am religious. I believe in God. I believe in God's power. In fact, I believe God is so powerful that He created human beings to be smart enough, clever enough, skillful enough, and creative enough to produce an evolving body of scientific knowledge and the training for people to be doctors, nurses, paramedics, and so forth, so that we can save each other's lives, and not have to rely on miracles for every little thing.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Of course people would call 911 first. You can't expect people to choose faith over reality. I mean, faith is nice when it's convenient and easy, but when the crap hits the fan, sane people look for real solutions.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Phone for an ambulance, then pray. And like Riverwolf said, its not hard in a way to do both. Meaning that my first reaction is to reach for the phone, while doing that and dialing i'm praying, and after i'm done i can pray only or more focussed.

I'm afraid your understanding of religious people is quite mistaken, and rather simply narrowing them to the category of a certain type of people in general, delusional ones.

I pray to god, that does not mean i sit back and wait to see the results, if they're going to come they're not coming in the form of an angel dropping form the sky to save the day. I act and hope good results will come. That hope sometimes is expressed through prayer.

Why would i not give an honest answer? Do you think religious people are also embarrassed about the views they hold?

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I'd call 911 and then pray. That is called common sense, and believe it or not, religious people can have that, too. ;) :)

Flankerl

I'd call 911 and then pray. That is called common sense, and believe it or not, religious people can have that, too. ;) :)

I wouldnt even pray. I'd get someone to call an ambulance and try to look after the person the best way i can.

Praying in such a situation is pure madness and also insensible.