• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's so impressive about the Bible?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Can somebody give me the best reasoning for why the Bible is divinely inspired?
Because the Bible states that the Scriptures are breathed by god himself.

Yes, it is merry go round reasoning, but most believers need nothing more.

smokydot

Seriously?...Are you suggesting that the god described in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible and Hebrew Bible are not the same god?
How do you draw that conclusion from what was said?

The 66 books of the Bible include both the OT and the NT.
All 66 books, penned by 40 different writers, over 1600 years, are in complete harmony when understood in light of the Word of God written in the NT.
That Allah is not also that same god? Presumably, when passages in the writings of all these religions are identical it must therefore be merely coincidence since any lack of contradiction would mean divine direction and that all writings must be correct, which in itself must be contradictory.......

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The truth of Scripture cannot be proven. Faith that it is true does not rest on logic or reason.
Faith:
To believe something your intellect rejects.
If your intellect did not reject it, you would not need faith to believe it.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
The majesty of the style, the heavenliness of the matter, the efficacy of the doctrine, the agreement of all the parts, the scope of the whole thing (to give all glory to God), the full revelation of the only way of man's salvation, its incomparable excellencies and its entire perfection.
But those observations are usually of those who believe it.

And then there's the NT teaching that all Scripture is God-breathed.
It will always be that way to you as long as you are an atheist.

I'm pretty sure that there are some contradictions in the Bible. Jus' sayin'.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
Because the Bible states that the Scriptures are breathed by god himself.

Yes, it is merry go round reasoning, but most believers need nothing more.

And I can't believe how many people respond stating that reasoning is somehow valid, without seeing how inane it is.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
And I can't believe how many people respond stating that reasoning is somehow valid, without seeing how inane it is.
It does not surprise me at all.
I have seen more than once right here on RF where people think that if all parties agree with the circular reasoning that it is somehow no longer circular reasoning.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The point is: they are all consistent. Can you find any material contradictions among them?
The different authors of the Hebrew Bible: the Yahwistic, the Elohistic, the Deuteronomistic, and the Priestly ones all bring different ideologies and special focus on attention on such levels, that it may be pointless to even call it inconsistent or contradictory, because they were simply written in different historical, social, religious and political periods in the history of Israel and Judah spanning centuries in writing, if you insist on talking about 'contradictions', then you can easily find different perspectives about the nature of God and the way he communicates with humanity and his creation between the different sources.

Last edited:

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
that 40 different writers over a time period of 1600 years could all write about God and not contradict each other is strong evidence that God directed what was written

no work of men could achieve such harmony for the reason that if you put 40 different people in a room, even from the same time period, and asked them to explain God and his purpose, you'd end up with 40 different conflicting views.

It takes a 2 second google search to find hundreds of bible contradictions. Sure you can dance around them with interpretation, but that's only because the bible is so vague and cryptic. Jews have entirely different interpretations than you do. So who's to say either of you are right, and the people that find contradiction, especially with the obvious ones, aren't?

Addition: Took 2 seconds to find these obvious ones:

http://www.seesharppress.com/20reasons.html#numbernineteen

Last edited:

dmgdnooc

you can find anything that tickles your fancy on the internet ;)

It is a fact that a 1st century CE Greek word and an 8th century BCE Hebrew word have both been translated into 17th century CE English as 'tempt'.
It requires a kind of faith (without the application of intellect, but, I suppose, including wishful thinking) to say that the Bible therefore contradicts itself.

The fact of the Bible's harmonious consistency is impressive and contrary to the understanding of intellect.
And, imo, your response addresses the OP.

Thales of Ga.

Skeptic Griggsy
I find errantists as funny as inerrantists! What are the wondrous metaphors for all the evil passages of the anthologies the Testament and the Tanakh?
I prefer the better fables- Esop's!