• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the story with Romney?

Wirey

Fartist
Why is this guy doing everything he can to insult the Brits during the Olympics? Did I miss something? The conservative mayor of London is openly mocking him with that "Yes we can" thing after his visit to London. There's a twitter hashtag called #romneyshambles to tweet about his visit now. Maybe it's an American thing? Or is he just a schmuck?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why is this guy doing everything he can to insult the Brits during the Olympics? Did I miss something? The conservative mayor of London is openly mocking him with that "Yes we can" thing after his visit to London. There's a twitter hashtag called #romneyshambles to tweet about his visit now. Maybe it's an American thing? Or is he just a schmuck?
It didn't even sound like an insult at all to me, even if it was a tad impolitic.
I'd say that those swishy Brits are just over-sensitive about all the planning
fiascos leading up to the Olympics. And then they have to go & dis Utah as
nowheresville. Sensitive little bi****s, ain't they!?!?

tytlyf

Not Religious
No one who wants to run for prez is fit for the job.
But we have to pick some loser.

I would disagree. I would say the GOP runs more unqualified candidates than the Democrats. It has to do with the base and who appeals to the people. You know, Bachmann, Trump, Gingrich, Santorum, Perry, Cain, O'Donnell, Palin, etc etc.

This is why it's important to have an educated and informed base. If people were doing this the right way, there wouldn't be any of these clowns in the picture. So once again, it falls back on who the base likes. They typically vote on Looks or Religion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would disagree. I would say the GOP runs more unqualified candidates than the Democrats. It has to do with the base and who appeals to the people. You know, Bachmann, Trump, Gingrich, Santorum, Perry, Cain, O'Donnell, Palin, etc etc.
This is why it's important to have an educated and informed base. If people were doing this the right way, there wouldn't be any of these clowns in the picture. So once again, it falls back on who the base likes. They typically vote on Looks or Religion.
To think that one party's candidates are more qualified is an illusion. Everyone thinks their side is smarter, gooder, moraler, educateder, & honester.
Let's set aside partisan loyalties, & just take a quick look at Obama when he was elected to one of the most powerful positions in the world.
- He had no executive or managerial experience.
- He was a junior senator.
- He never met a payroll.
- He was an inspiring speaker....with a teleprompter. (He's rather tongue tied without a script. Contrast him with Clinton & Reagan.)
Even if I agreed with his politics, I'd say he need a lot more basic experience to be ready for the job.
Imagine how formidable he'd be if he had Palin's far broader experience. Gotta walk before you can run.
Anyway, there should be more to determining that someone is "qualified" than really really really liking them as a person.

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
It could possibly be that people focus on the wrong qualifications for the job. Should we focus on job experience for the most important job in the world?

What sort of credentials does the Presidency require? Are there any set it stone or is the quality of the President determined after the fact? I would say a person could have the most flawless credentials that one would assume to be right for the job, but end up failing.

I guess no one really is ready for what they are getting into. President Obama didn't really have any foreign policy experience, but ended up being very good.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It could possibly be that people focus on the wrong qualifications for the job. Should we focus on job experience for the most important job in the world?
What sort of credentials does the Presidency require? Are there any set it stone or is the quality of the President determined after the fact? I would say a person could have the most flawless credentials that one would assume to be right for the job, but end up failing.
I guess no one really is ready for what they are getting into. President Obama didn't really have any foreign policy experience, but ended up being very good.
It sounds like you're arguing that qualifications don't matter for the presidency of the country. If you owned a company, & were searching for a CEO,
would you pick someone with no managerial experience? I say that while there is no guarantee that we'll be happy with a candidate's performance in
office, having suitable experience is better than not having it. Consider that the presidency is an executive post. Prior executive experience would
mean a shorter & less expensive learning curve for the job.

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
I would argue that intelligence and decision making ability would trump business experience. I voted in 2008 for Obama and intelligence was probably the top reason I chose him.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would argue that intelligence and decision making ability would trump business experience. I voted in 2008 for Obama and intelligence was probably the top reason I chose him.
Intelligence is a fine quality. But how can we measure his? He strikes me as no smarter than his competition, & his
scholastic performance is still a state secret. So that leaves us with impressions we get from language, demeanor,
accent, gender, etc. Those are unreliable & complex factors, so we end up judging intelligence based upon how we
'like' him. I see no spark of quick learning & depth of knowledge as I did with Clinton (whom I loathed).
I don't vote for a candidate based upon intelligence or likeability. I vote for someone who would implement an agenda
I support.

Last edited:

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I don't like the way Romney turns into a quivering hard-on every time someone asks him a hard question. He gets very agitated when people 'heckle' him. This is a problem for me.

Wirey

Fartist
I don't like the way Romney turns into a quivering hard-on every time someone asks him a hard question. He gets very agitated when people 'heckle' him. This is a problem for me.

Considering this trip was supposed to highlight his foreign relations skills, I'd call it a serious flop. When British newspapers are using headlines like "Mitt the Twit" and your aides are telling people you understand the British better than Obama because you're white, maybe you should re-think that trip to France.

Awoon

Romney is a Mexican. He wanted the olympics in Cancun so he could ck on his dough in the Caymans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Considering this trip was supposed to highlight his foreign relations skills, I'd call it a serious flop.
It was definitely a booboo, but "serious"?

When British newspapers are using headlines like "Mitt the Twit".....
You don't suppose that Brits would take sides in our election do you?

....and your aides are telling people you understand the British better than Obama because you're white....
Have a source for that one?

Really, this whole flap just looks like Dems looking for confirmation that Romney is a less competent version of the Devil incarnate.
Will the same people who highly weight this gaffe apply the same standard to Obama's recent.....
[youtube]6j8XhQfvpW8[/youtube]
Obama: If You've Got a Business, You Didn't Build That ... - YouTube

Of course, Obama's apologists will be quick to give reasons for this duesy of a brain fart, but it is what it is....a major blunder.
Now, please people....stop putting me in the position of defending a guy who wears magic underwear, OK?

Last edited:

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
You don't suppose that Brits would take sides in our election do you?
Sides?
Britain is probably America's closest ally. Mit the Twit was speaking to a fellow conservative and managed to insult him. If (Gods forbid) he gets elected he will have to deal with less friendly folk and try and avoid causing wars. A tiny bit of diplomatic ability might be a bonus in that case.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
[youtube]6j8XhQfvpW8[/youtube]
Obama: If You've Got a Business, You Didn't Build That ... - YouTube

Of course, Obama's apologists will be quick to give reasons for this duesy of a brain fart, but it is what it is....a major blunder.
Now, please people....stop putting me in the position of defending a guy who wears magic underwear, OK?

No need. I think the speech was taken horribly out of context by repugs... which is why Obama corrected them in his response.