• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's with all the droughts?

MissAlice

It seems to be happening in Kenya where my aunt works and other countries: Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti. Is it global warming or just climate change? Nonetheless I found this very disturbing and wonder how this will affect not only man but all of the living habitat. My biggest fear is it spreading but I'm not a scientist so maybe I'm overreacting.

BBC News - Kenya drought: Starvation claims 14 lives in Turkana

rsd

ACBSP77
Know what you mean. Here around Austin, Texas - North, South, East & West of here it is bone dry. The Guadalupe River has no water in it to speak of. Yet it is so hot tubbers by the thousands and trying to float down it. What water there is, is pretty nasty. Somehow I tend to think our sun has gotten a bit hotter, thus all this heat. I've seen NASA pics of ice caps on other planets melting, too. No humans there. Just more natural heat and I think that comes from the sun, thus my thinking about it. Stay cool!

work in progress

I can't post links yet, but a quick term search will tell you that the increased amount of energy in the weather systems now, thanks to global warming, along with the increased amount of precipitation in the atmosphere, gives us a world with more severe droughts and floods.

work in progress

Hi everyone!

Here is a link to an article from The Guardian that states that the higher temperatures and unpredictable rain patterns could result in a 20% decrease in the growing season in the Horn of Africa.

Is climate change to blame for famine in the Horn of Africa? | Duncan Green | Global development | guardian.co.uk

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:
I lost track of this thread, so I missed this post yesterday. Your Guardian link adds some information on the situation in East Africa, but it drives me up the wall that mainstream media always have to take the cautious approach when talking about climate change, because they think that there has to be one single, sole cause of the drought in Africa, or the droughts in the American Southwest or floods elsewhere. Instead of just saying that they conclude: "The conclusion? Attributing the current drought directly to climate change is impossible" What is the point of that disclaimer when they add two sentences after: "worldwide, events like this have a higher probability of occurring as a result of climate change". Which should mean to anyone paying attention, that a warming atmosphere leads to greater extremes in weather.

Global warming doesn't have to be the only cause of a flood, a drought, a hurricane or a tornado...or just plain more volatile weather; but it means that we will average more extreme weather that will reduce crop yields as the years go by. I wish I had the 15 post count now, because I could show you a link to the Earth Policy Institute article by Lester Brown, which is showing that world grain production is going to fall far short of a hoped for 100 million ton surplus this year....which was needed to make up for the losses that have caused declines in inventory for the last three years. The bad weather in most grain producing nations indicates that 2011 will be another shortfall that will drive up prices even higher.

2008 was the last year of a bumper crop that exceeded expectations. If it wasn't for that, food prices would be double or triple what they are now, and we would be already in a world food crisis. A changing climate means the good years will be fewer and farther between. The problem now with food production, is that whether we use natural or GMO hybrids, all of our agriculture is based on plants developed over the last 5000 years -- a time of very stable weather compared to what we are heading into!

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
2008 was the last year of a bumper crop that exceeded expectations. If it wasn't for that, food prices would be double or triple what they are now, and we would be already in a world food crisis. A changing climate means the good years will be fewer and farther between. The problem now with food production, is that whether we use natural or GMO hybrids, all of our agriculture is based on plants developed over the last 5000 years -- a time of very stable weather compared to what we are heading into!

Hi Work in Progress!

This is a very good point. I fear the famine in Somalia is only the beginning.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2: