• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with Wind and Solar?

KW

Turned it off after 3 seconds and saw Prager U.

That is an exceptionally biased source. I've seen enough of those videos to never trust them again.

Find a reputable source to make your argument.

Typical Democrat. Anything with facts is off limits.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What propaganda does is makes a presentation that is partially factual, just enough facts that make it seem credible and true. However it tends to avoid contrary facts and data. Then it concludes with the sales pitch that is disguised as a rational conclusion.

Let's note that prayer U also advocates heavily for creationism and intelligent design with anti-science videos. That illustrates their level of reliability: zero.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Find one statement that is false and I'll remove it.

Good Luck!
It's not that the video isn't factual, it is that it is only critical of wind and solar. Pointing out all the flaws of one and then presenting the alternative without critical consideration is one of the oldest propaganda methods ever.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Feel free to point out any factual errors.

Good luck!

Their estimates on how much power can be provided to a nation via wind and solar are not accurate.

"If future net-zero emissions energy systems rely heavily on solar and wind resources, spatial and temporal mismatches between resource availability and electricity demand may challenge system reliability. Using 39 years of hourly reanalysis data (1980–2018), we analyze the ability of solar and wind resources to meet electricity demand in 42 countries, varying the hypothetical scale and mix of renewable generation as well as energy storage capacity. Assuming perfect transmission and annual generation equal to annual demand, but no energy storage, we find the most reliable renewable electricity systems are wind-heavy and satisfy countries’ electricity demand in 72–91% of hours (83–94% by adding 12 h of storage). Yet even in systems which meet >90% of demand, hundreds of hours of unmet demand may occur annually. Our analysis helps quantify the power, energy, and utilization rates of additional energy storage, demand management, or curtailment, as well as the benefits of regional aggregation."

Geophysical constraints on the reliability of solar and wind power worldwide | Nature Communications

Edit: Also note that CA ran on 95% renewable/green energy at one point last year.

California just hit 95% renewable energy. Will other states come along for the ride?

The point isn't that oil and gas is going away permanently or completely. But that we need better alternatives, that are renewable.

Wind turbine blades can be recycled for instance.

Fact check: Recycling can keep wind turbine blades out of landfills

Nimos

A five minute video that makes some interesting points:

What's Wrong with Wind and Solar? - Bing video
There is no doubt there is a cost with solar power and wind. And I think he is correct about most of it, would obviously need a more in depth analysis of it, because there might be other types of facts.

But his example in the end with the cost of making a oil drill compared to how much it cost to make a wind mill is kind of off I think. Because sure the oil drill might be cheaper and produce more "oil", but if the goal is to go towards clean energy, then clearly its less important how much oil etc. we can get if it end up with more pollution.

So I think the calculation is far more complicated than this, because he is correct that digging up all those rare earth minerals is not cheap and it causes a lot of pollution, but also I doubt that we have enough on Earth of effectively transit into something which is highly depended on these minerals.

Personally I don't know what the solution is.

exchemist

Veteran Member
A five minute video that makes some interesting points:

What's Wrong with Wind and Solar? - Bing video
Can you summarise the main points? I'd be especially interested to understand what the alternative is to these renewable sources. Given that major European economies already get a large proportion of the their electricity from these sources, it seems odd to suggest they can't do the job.

Maybe these guys just need to get on a plane and catch up with the future? ;)