• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When I'm angry

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
First, I am not a Buddhist, but I recently returned from China and I visited a couple temples. While at Yōnghé gōng 雍和宮 (Yonghe Temple, aka Yonghe Lamasery) in Beijing I would have to say it was a very interesting and good experience, especially when standing in front of the 18 meter tall Maitreya statue. I hesitate to call it spiritual. but it did leave an impression. First time I burned incense as well. Also discovered my Brother-in-law is a devout Buddhist.

But while there, I was reminded about something I learned years before, that i had forgotten. When I would get angry if I listened to the Namo Amituofo Chant (I know this is not Tibetan) I alway calm down and relax . My exposure to that was not at a Lama Temple, but my mother-in-laws house in Beijing, over 18 years ago. She was a Pureland Buddhist and this played in her house 24/7...

When I first got there and heard it I was convinced, that after 2 weeks it would be getting on my nerves, but after a few days I hardly noticed it at all. And after I returned to the states, when she eventually came to live with us, I heard it in her room and that is when I realized how much it relaxed me.

Playing it today at work actually, wearing headphones, remaining calm, and not doling out well deserved beating

Note: I also visited the Hongluo Temple (Pureland), near Mutianyu (Greatwall)' while I was there

Last edited:

Secret Chief

Degrow!
First, I am not a Buddhist, but I recently returned from China and I visited a couple temples. While at Yōnghé gōng 雍和宮 (Yonghe Temple, aka Yonghe Lamasery) in Beijing I would have to say it was a very interesting and good experience, especially when standing in front of the 18 meter tall Maitreya statue. I hesitate to call it spiritual. but it did leave an impression. First time I burned incense as well. Also discovered my Brother-in-law is a devout Buddhist.

But while there, I was reminded about something I learned years before, that i had forgotten. When I would get angry if I listened to the Namo Amituofo Chant (I know this is not Tibetan) I alway calm down and relax . My exposure to that was not at a Lama Temple, but my mother-in-laws house in Beijing, over 18 years ago. She was a Pureland Buddhist and this played in her house 24/7...

When I first got there and heard it I was convinced, that after 2 weeks it would be getting on my nerves, but after a few days I hardly noticed it at all. And after I returned to the states, when she eventually came to live with us, I heard it in her room and that is when I realized how much it relaxed me.

Playing it today at work actually, wearing headphones, remaining calm, and not doling out well deserverd beating
I've got a couple of CDs of Tibetan chants; very engrossing.

Wu Wei

Interesting.... the more I think about Yōnghé gōng the more I realize, it definitely left a mark..... still not sure what it means, but it definitely had an effect

800px-Pekin_L00-1U.jpg

Wu Wei

I now have the feeling I should go back to Yōnghé gōng 雍和宮. There is something there that seems to draw me back in that direction. However I seriously doubt I will get back to Yōnghé gōng for a couple years. It is as if there is some thought on the edge of my mind I just can't yet grasp

ajay0

Actions performed under the influence of anger are said to be unskillful as they are productive of suffering, and can wipe out a lot of positive merit earned in the past through skillful actions.

Here are some buddhist tips for dealing with anger...

ajay0

This reminded me of Swami Vivekananda's childhood, when he was something of a highly restless and naughty brat.

His mother used to similarly calm him down by pouring water on his head, along with chants of the 'Om Namah Shivaya' , a highly revered mantra in Hinduism.

It appears that these mantras were designed to somehow calm down the mind and reduce mental agitation.