• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you mention those most contributing to the poverty of the poor...

danieldemol

Premium Member
When you mention those most contributing to the poverty of the poor, who is it your highest priority to mention;

Jeff Bezos: worth 177 billion US dollars, one of the top 5 billionaires who has not pledged to give away more than half of their wealth?

Bill Gates: number 4 worth 124 billion US dollars?

George Soros: Not on the top ten list but worth 8.6 billion US dollars?

Or do you mention all of them or none of them?

For reference: The World's Billionaires - Wikipedia

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
By the way I mentioned Bill Gates and George Soros because they seem to be the most common enemy #1 on RF when I think people may have considerably bigger fish to fry if they are only going to mention a single person responsible.

In my opinion.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When you mention those most contributing to the poverty of the poor, who is it your highest priority to mention;

Jeff Bezos: worth 177 billion US dollars, one of the top 5 billionaires who has not pledged to give away more than half of their wealth?

In my opinion.
None of them. I blame poor policies of the government and general human inability to look beyond their personal life and social circles.

danieldemol

Premium Member
None of them. I blame poor policies of the government and general human inability to look beyond their personal life and social circles.
Do you see the rich as having a greater ability and therefore responsibility to look outside their social circles?

I'm just trying to imagine the segregated and/or otherwise immobile poor trying to go knocking on the door of the rich to increase their social awareness.

In my opinion.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

In my opinion.

I might mention them, but I'm not sure if they contribute the most to the poverty of the poor. These billionaires may be symptoms and beneficiaries of a more complex problem where the cause is difficult to pinpoint.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I might mention them, but I'm not sure if they contribute the most to the poverty of the poor. These billionaires may be symptoms and beneficiaries of a more complex problem where the cause is difficult to pinpoint.
I see it as simply the problem of some people having the means to provide goods and services at a rate far in excess of need, others having little or no means to provide goods and services to cover their needs, combined with a tax system which favours the rich and excessive reproduction amongst the poor.

Have I covered most of the bases?

In my opinion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The poor contribute most to their own poverty
(at least in 1st world countries). Their choices
put them where they are.
It's not Bezos's or Musk's fault...even though
they're major.....posteriors.

This'll make the libbies angry, eh.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I see it as simply the problem of some people having the means to provide goods and services at a rate far in excess of need, others having little or no means to provide goods and services to cover their needs, combined with a tax system which favours the rich and excessive reproduction amongst the poor.

Have I covered most of the bases?

In my opinion.

I think that's a reasonable overview of the problem.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you see the rich as having a greater ability and therefore responsibility to look outside their social circles?

I'm just trying to imagine the segregated and/or otherwise immobile poor trying to go knocking on the door of the rich to increase their social awareness.

In my opinion.
Human beings usually, everywhere are mostly concerned about themselves and their families. That is how they are on average. There are highly selfless people and highly narcissistic people on either side of course, but both are a minority. Now a rich person is a human being only. He has a talent at acquring wealth, but that is just like any other talent. Having a talent does not change the extent of awareness a person has regarding other people. The rich people are always, both socially and in professional life, only interacting with people of their own group (as all other folks do as well) who are his or hers peers. They may sometimes, driven by some empathy and moral instincts and maybe social virtue signalling, feel bad for the poor and donate some money or to a cause. But they have no real human contact with them in their day to day lives, and one can never understand the problems unless one is there all the time living that life. And without such understanding the desire or the passion for pursuing decisions that can lead to real change will always be lacking.... in most humans.
In short, rich folks are simply folks with all the attendant limitations. To expect from them superhuman empathies and moral leadership is not very rational in my opinion.
We have to look at systemic ways to solve problems like poverty and devise incrntives where rich people can contribute towards something that also gives them some emotional or social rewards for thar activity. Apes like us always need a banana to be trained to do a trick.....

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
put them where they are.

Possibly, although for the first 18 years of a person's life, they don't even get to legally make any real choices. They have to contend with the consequences of the choices made by their parents or guardians, often with very little recourse. By the time they reach 18, they could be so heavily damaged that it may take years or even decades to recover.

If you want to blame people for their choices, then at least give them a choice first.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
put them where they are.
It's not Bezos's or Musk's fault...even though
they're major.....posteriors.

This'll make the libbies angry, eh.
I do not believe that is true. Children born in poor families are overwhelmingly likely to stay poor. Unless you believe being poor is genetic, it implies that the society around them is creating an overwhelming influence in sustaining their poverty. The ability to make good decisions is not an intrinsic ability, but also has be learnt. And that learning is not being provided.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I do not believe that is true. Children born in poor families are overwhelmingly likely to stay poor. Unless you believe being poor is genetic, it implies that the society around them is creating an overwhelming influence in sustaining their poverty. The ability to make good decisions is not an intrinsic ability, but also has be learnt. And that learning is not being provided.
And even if there are genetic factors related to poverty those genetic factors are hardly the fault of the poor.

In my opinion.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Policies, and rights. Everyone should have education rights, and we should look to improve education wherever possible. Creating opportunities for self education for adults.

Perhaps an ubi system, with a right to clean, affordable housing.

Drugs, and mental illness play a significant role. Healthcare should be a right.

Reform the tax codes. The one's who benefit from freedom and democracy the most have the greatest public debt to society.

Wage appreciation for skilled workers. A living wage for all workers.

Incentivize people to be more responsible.

The need for job creation.

We need to take care of those that are disabled.

Create a co-operative economy along side capitalism.

Regulate capitalism by making monopoly impossible, and outlawing it.

Change public perception of poverty. Everyone benefits from eliminating poverty.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Rich men look for excuses always to not assist.

It's a behaviour.

Poor people owning arms instead of care do so....to keep rich men from invading their nation for resources.
To control poor peoples criminal behaviour trying to care for self.

Same old same old behaviour rich men.

Rich men destroyed historic natural food equal trade by science machine causes. Rich man knew he was guilty.

Rich man however can't just organise funds instead makes poor humans pay again as poorer humans are more considerate of suffering.

He says I must remain rich to help the poor. Oxy moron.

Once natural humans could just live gather food with no rich man.

So now we know poor countries were forced to be poor.

We now know family should be given world support to regain families governing.

Which is to unarm the world's community.

So rich men who like spaceships should gather the world arms and send the power of destruction back to the sun. The place of rich man's worship.

Or have a better idea about fixing all problems he personally caused.

Heyo

Veteran Member

In my opinion.
I blame the Illuminati.

But seriously, I couldn't name the people. They don't appear on Forbes lists. They may or may not be filthy rich themselves but they control the global economy and influence policies. They are the "they" some conspiracy theorists speak of. Banker, investment corporations, etc.
And they don't have to conspire when they have the same goal: preserving and protecting capitalism.

RestlessSoul

I blame greed. Not Bezos’s greed, nor Roman Abramovich’s nor Donald Trumps; but human greed, including my own. Do I place the pursuit of money, comfort, and material security, above things of real and enduring value? I don’t have to be in the super tax bracket, before asking what I can do to help alleviate my brother’s suffering.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I blame the Illuminati.

But seriously, I couldn't name the people. They don't appear on Forbes lists. They may or may not be filthy rich themselves but they control the global economy and influence policies. They are the "they" some conspiracy theorists speak of. Banker, investment corporations, etc.
And they don't have to conspire when they have the same goal: preserving and protecting capitalism.
Interesting, who do you think has greater motive to control the global economy and exert malign influence on its policies than those who benefit the most from such control?
(My question is loaded with the assumption that the mega rich have gained the most from such malign control).

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I blame greed. Not Bezos’s greed, nor Roman Abramovich’s nor Donald Trumps; but human greed, including my own. Do I place the pursuit of money, comfort, and material security, above things of real and enduring value? I don’t have to be in the super tax bracket, before asking what I can do to help alleviate my brother’s suffering.
Placing the pursuit of money, and material security for the poor above things of allegedly enduring value such as faith *is* alleviating my brothers suffering.

I'm not really sure that greed pays a part on a personal level speaking for myself.

In my opinion.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Interesting, who do you think has greater motive to control the global economy and exert malign influence on its policies than those who benefit the most from such control?
(My question is loaded with the assumption that the mega rich have gained the most from such malign control).

In my opinion.
The bankers and investment brokers aren't poor, either. Some of them may have (or control) more money than Bezos, Musk, Gates and Koch combined but don't brag about it.
What they don't have are real economic values. Elon Musk could sell cars also in a barter economy but a banker or broker would lose everything. Their lifeblood is compound interest.

danieldemol

Premium Member
The bankers and investment brokers aren't poor, either. Some of them may have (or control) more money than Bezos, Musk, Gates and Koch combined but don't brag about it.
What they don't have are real economic values. Elon Musk could sell cars also in a barter economy but a banker or broker would lose everything. Their lifeblood is compound interest.
Do you associate interest with capitalism?
In a world where people need to borrow money, how would you provide incentive for self centred mega rich to provide those loans without interest?

In my opinion.