• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Does Wisdom Come From?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
What’s the probability percentage of human beings being right when it comes to questions like, where I’m going when I die? Is it low? Are we living in a fantasy world if we think we know what happens? Or is there some sort of way the truth finds us? Is it just wishful thinking or is there something more concrete at play? I’d say there’s a damn good chance that I will get to live my life again one day but how do I know this? It’s bizarre having this knowledge with no proof. I’m not the only one who thinks they’ll have everlasting life. I’d gladly accept nothing after death if that’s what I truly felt. No skin off my ***, and I think most people would do the same. So what keeps us knowing such things? The only thing I can think of is God, the infinite Cosmos. This alone is so extraordinarily marvelous that I think it has the power to bring us such insights about our deaths. What do you think? Do you think such wisdom comes from God?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What you talk about here is something I would call knowledge, not wisdom. But in either case, knowledge and wisdom always come from one thing - the experience of life and living. Directly, or by proxy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What’s the probability percentage of human beings being right when it comes to questions like, where I’m going when I die? Is it low? Are we living in a fantasy world if we think we know what happens? Or is there some sort of way the truth finds us? Is it just wishful thinking or is there something more concrete at play? I’d say there’s a damn good chance that I will get to live my life again one day but how do I know this? It’s bizarre having this knowledge with no proof. I’m not the only one who thinks they’ll have everlasting life. I’d gladly accept nothing after death if that’s what I truly felt. No skin off my ***, and I think most people would do the same. So what keeps us knowing such things? The only thing I can think of is God, the infinite Cosmos. This alone is so extraordinarily marvelous that I think it has the power to bring us such insights about our deaths. What do you think? Do you think such wisdom comes from God?
Nope because wisdom has a shelf life and expiration date.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Pilgrim: "Oh wise one, what is the secret to a successful life"?

Sage: "Ah, I can answer your question in two words: Good decisions".

Pilgrim: "But oh wise one, what enables one to make good decisions'?

Sage: "Ah, I can answer your question in one word: experience".

Pilgrim: "But oh wise one, how does one gain experience"?

Sage: "Ah, I can answer your question in two words: bad decisions".

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What you talk about here is something I would call knowledge, not wisdom. But in either case, knowledge and wisdom always come from one thing - the experience of life and living. Directly, or by proxy.
I agree, but I would add that knowledge and wisdom also come from God through His messengers.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree, but I would add that knowledge and wisdom also come from God through His messengers.
Yes, that's part of your own life experiences. I experience the gods regularly and have done some "deep dives" so to speak working with and experiencing certain gods to learn things. Still part of my own life experiences that I do not assume others have or should have. :blush:

HonestJoe

What’s the probability percentage of human beings being right when it comes to questions like, where I’m going when I die? Is it low?
I guess that depends of the level of accuracy you're looking for. I can be pretty much certain that I will die on Earth within the next 100 years but I'd be unlikely to be able to give you the correct address or date of my death.

Are we living in a fantasy world if we think we know what happens? Or is there some sort of way the truth finds us?
No, I think that deep down most people are entirely conscious of how little we actually know which is precisely why we fall back on pretending that we have understanding and confidence. Religion would be an obvious example, but the same concept exists without and beyond that too.

It’s bizarre having this knowledge with no proof.
That would be bizarre, but what you actually have is a belief, not knowledge, precisely because you don't have "proof". As I said though, that's perfectly normal human behaviour.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I think Knowledge of the afterlife comes from God through messengers of God.
I think that wisdom comes from human experience, but it also comes from God, because God is All-Wise.
You think you need a messenger to learn about the afterlife?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I guess that depends of the level of accuracy you're looking for. I can be pretty much certain that I will die on Earth within the next 100 years but I'd be unlikely to be able to give you the correct address or date of my death.

No, I think that deep down most people are entirely conscious of how little we actually know which is precisely why we fall back on pretending that we have understanding and confidence. Religion would be an obvious example, but the same concept exists without and beyond that too.

That would be bizarre, but what you actually have is a belief, not knowledge, precisely because you don't have "proof". As I said though, that's perfectly normal human behaviour.
Deep down I know stuff my friend. Like I said, I’d be perfectly fine accepting that I didn’t know anything if that were the case. I could easily be an atheist in a heartbeat. No skin off my ***.

…but it turns out I do know some things.

Last edited:

Madsaac

So what keeps us knowing such things?

Fear of dying.

As humans we want to stay alive, it's so natural.

I think that's one of the main differences between us and animals, they don't concern themselves with death like we do.

And as atheist death is the one area where I wish I believed in god.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Fear of dying.

As humans we want to stay alive, it's so natural.

I think that's one of the main differences between us and animals, they don't concern themselves with death like we do.

And as atheist death is the one area where I wish I believed in god.
I don’t think so. Most people I know don’t fear death.