• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religion Best Supports the Environment?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Which religion, if any, best supports an environmentally sound lifestyle?

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Sunstone said:
Which religion, if any, best supports an environmentally sound lifestyle?

Most all of the pagans and heathens I know are dedicated environmentalists - more so than any other religious group.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Radio Frequency X said:
Most all of the pagans and heathens I know are dedicated environmentalists - more so than any other religious group.

That's my observations as well.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Hinduism teaches that all life comes from God therefore God exists in all of creation- people, animals, plants...there is no place where God is not, Hindus even see water as a form of a Divine Mother - Ganga Ma, similarly the earth itself is like a mother - Dharti Ma. There is a Hindu festival in Trinidad called Ganga Dhara where Hindus go to a river and offer prayers. Hindus also believe in Ahimsa which promotes the notion that we should not harm anything in God's creation. Hinduism also advocates that humans are one with nature. All of nature is interconnected because the Atman or soul is within all living things and the Atman or individual soul is part of the Param Atman or Super Soul, who is God. I think Native Indians also have great respect for the environment.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Many Unitarian Universalists are dedicated to environmental justice and are open to working with those from any religious or secular group who seeks the same. Environmental responisbility is a key part of our religious education. We teach our children that not only are we stewards of the Earth, we are part of the Earth and related to everything around us.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Well Hinduism as i understand it is similar to Paganism in origins.

And UU well i'm certain they don't like it when i burn giant "?"'s on their front lawns. :D

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Pardus said:
Well Hinduism as i understand it is similar to Paganism in origins.

And UU well i'm certain they don't like it when i burn giant "?"'s on their front lawns. :D

Pardon my ignorance, but I have never understood the concept of paganism. What is it really? As for the beginning of Hinduism - Hinduism began with the Vedas, which was divine knowledge given from God to the first Rishis (Sages) on earth. I think Hinduism is probably the oldest religion on earth.
I'm leaving for the day. Will catch up tomorrow. :yes: Missing RF already....Sigh!

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Generally it's a blanket term for non-mainstream nature religions, like shamans, druids, witches, etc.

Pagan came from the Roman derogetory term for people of the land/country people, when they got to england it is what they called the local religions.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Pardus said:
Generally it's a blanket term for non-mainstream nature religions, like shamans, druids, witches, etc.

Pagan came from the Roman derogetory term for people of the land/country people, when they got to england it is what they called the local religions.

I don't see how Hinduism would be classified as Pagan? Like I said before...leaving now...in a hurry! Chao!

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Hema said:
I don't see how Hinduism would be classified as Pagan? Like I said before...leaving now...in a hurry! Chao!

Sometimes the term Paganism refers to any religion that is not Abrahamic in origin, and Hinduism falls under that. Personally, I view Hinduism as it's own category, if religions can be categorized.

But back to the original topic, I would agree that we Pagans are more environmentally aware, simply because that's how, at least, I live my life. As a Pagan, I feel very close to the Earth and wish to do all I can to ease the burden that some other people don't even think about.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Paganism. I wouldn't discount UU since social action is a large part of participation, however UU doesn't have "honoring the earth" as one of it's central/universal tenets. I'm not sure if you can get much more environmentally minded than an "earth-based" religion.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I'm gonna go with either the UU's or we pagans. (Sorry, Hema. We've been struggling for awhile to summarize what we believe. :) ) Naturally, the... erm... natural aspect is a large part of the Pagan faith, but UU's tend to have the social activism as an innate part of their tradition. It's hard because, as a walker of a certain path, one always wants to try to lay claim to that path being the 'champion' of an aspect of bettering the planet, but I'd have to give in and say that there are a lot of paths that could make that claim. (Which is a good thing!)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
MaddLlama said:
Paganism. I wouldn't discount UU since social action is a large part of participation, however UU doesn't have "honoring the earth" as one of it's central/universal tenets.

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote
  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Maize said:

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote
  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Not the same thing. To me, Pagans as a whole are more in tune with the earth as a living being to be honored in a religious context than any other religion, including UU. Yes, social action is a large part of being UU, and environmentalism is part of that, but I'd be willing to bet that more Pagans than UU's honor the earth in that way per capita.
It's just not the same outlook.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
MaddLlama said:
Not the same thing. To me, Pagans as a whole are more in tune with the earth as a living being to be honored in a religious context than any other religion, including UU. Yes, social action is a large part of being UU, and environmentalism is part of that, but I'd be willing to bet that more Pagans than UU's honor the earth in that way per capita.
It's just not the same outlook.
You claimed we didn't "honor the Earth" I believe we do. Maybe not the same way as Pagans do, but we do, or try to.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Maize said:
You claimed we didn't "honor the Earth" I believe we do. Maybe not the same way as Pagans do, but we do, or try to.

There's a difference between respect, and reverence. I think that an attitude of spiritual reverence makes it's potential for environmental issues greater.