• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion has love?

rusra02

Premium Member
That was not the question though, the question was which religion has love amongst its members? The answer is every religion. Until you leave of course then in certain religions the love goes, and you on your own. The love is very conditional, is very conditional love, really love though? I guess that is up for debate, lincluding doing god's will.

Love manifests itself in deeds, not just words.(1 John 3:18) IMO, a religion that teaches or condones acts of violence amongst its members cannot then claim it teaches love. Regardless of what they claim, their actions speak louder. Neither does it show love, IMO, to allow wrongdoing to go unchallenged. Where does one draw the line? Allow unrepentant fornicators to remain in the faith but expel an unrepentant murderer? I believe the answer is, it is not our decision, but Gods. (1 Corinthians 5:11-13)

Wherenextcolumbus

Love manifests itself in deeds, not just words.(1 John 3:18) IMO, a religion that teaches or condones acts of violence amongst its members cannot then claim it teaches love. Regardless of what they claim, their actions speak louder. Neither does it show love, IMO, to allow wrongdoing to go unchallenged. Where does one draw the line? Allow unrepentant fornicators to remain in the faith but expel an unrepentant murderer? I believe the answer is, it is not our decision, but Gods. (1 Corinthians 5:11-13)

In my opinion a religion that promotes shunning of family members because they don't believe in the year 1914 and openly admit it, is not really love, it's possessive and controlling.

rusra02

Premium Member
In my opinion a religion that promotes shunning of family members because they don't believe in the year 1914 and openly admit it, is not really love, it's possessive and controlling.

Not knowing all the circumstances of what you are referring to, I would only say there are always two sides to a controversy. (Proverbs 18:17) A person with honest doubts is to be shown mercy, not shunned. (Jude 22,23) on the other hand, false teachers were to be expelled. (Acts 20:29,30, 2 Timothy 2:17,18, 2 John 9-11)

Wherenextcolumbus

Not knowing all the circumstances of what you are referring to, I would only say there are always two sides to a controversy. (Proverbs 18:17) A person with honest doubts is to be shown mercy, not shunned. (Jude 22,23) on the other hand, false teachers were to be expelled. (Acts 20:29,30, 2 Timothy 2:17,18, 2 John 9-11)

A person who does not believe a doctrine and openly says it, is disfellowshipped and their own family is encourage to shun them for not agreeing with something. That is possessive, no wonder so many people are depressed in there, they can't even breathe.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A person who does not believe a doctrine and openly says it, is disfellowshipped and their own family is encourage to shun them for not agreeing with something. That is possessive, no wonder so many people are depressed in there, they can't even breathe.
Shunning is so, 15th century BCE.

That was not the question though, the question was which religion has love amongst its members? The answer is every religion. Until you leave of course then in certain religions the love goes, and you on your own. The love is very conditional, is very conditional love, really love though? I guess that is up for debate, lincluding doing god's will.

I think that conditional love isn't real love. To say that, in order to feel or express love you have to meet certain requirements, doesn't sound like love but a contract.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that conditional love isn't real love. To say that, in order to feel or express love you have to meet certain requirements, doesn't sound like love but a contract.

A frubal for for you an excellant expression and true, I believe.

It seems to me a child knows it, but a powerful religious leader doesn't. Sigh.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
None of them.

If the question was "which religion has the (conscious) hope of love forever"? I might agree with the poster of the original post and say Jehovah's Witnesses (what? he didn't say that?). So there you go@! They got something right. If it is the worst of times or the best of times Jehovah's Witnesses believe love rules. I should give them frubals, but I don't want to.

I like the @ I just don't know what it means. Am I trolling?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

This is nonsense H. This is a twisted half truth which, if one has been on the receiving end of such a thing, knows it can be more damning than the whole truth.

No one is disfellowshipped for doubting anything. It is how they conduct themselves in the expression of that doubt. Going to the elders to clarify a belief and accepting or rejecting a belief is one thing....feeling that you are right and that the entire brotherhood is wrong and trying to get others to come around to your way of thinking is prideful and contentious.

Coming into a dedicated relationship with Jehovah involves vows, just like a marriage. It is a binding relationship with rules governing behavior. Just as a husband or wife is not free to have relations with other men or women, we are not free to have relations with other religions. (When Israel did so, God accused them of "adultery")
There is one Christianity....just one. It is not fractured into thousands of sects with different beliefs. The wheat and the weeds exist in the world together. Once "Babylon the great" was identified, God's command was to "get out of her". (Rev 18:4, 5) JW's did just that.

If a person disagrees with the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses once they have been baptised into Jehovah's family of worshippers, they are free to leave, just as anyone in a marriage is free to leave, but they cannot do so without breaking a dedication vow. (Eccl 5:4-6) How they are treated by the congregation is determined by their actions once they leave.

Stirring up contentions in the brotherhood is something Jehovah hates.

"16 There are six things that Jehovah hates; Yes, seven things that he detests: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart plotting wicked schemes, and feet that run quickly to evil, 19 A false witness who lies with every breath, And anyone sowing contentions among brothers" (Prov 6:16-19)

Many rose up in Israel against Moses and rejected his God-given authority over the nation. Jehovah demonstrated his feeling about such rebels by having the earth open up and swallow them.

The one sided 'horror' stories told by ex JW's who have been disfellowshipped and shunned tells one very prejudiced side to the tale, designed to make themselves look like angels and the brotherhood, especially the elders or the GB to look like monsters. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Go to any courtroom and listen to ex's sledge each other to a judge. How does an impartial adjudicator tell who is speaking the truth? Unless he knows the people personally, how can he tell? How often is the real truth lost in the embellishments?

Our treatment of those who want to cause trouble by promoting their own ideas or who unrepentantly break God's laws, is entirely Biblical. ( 1 Cor 5:9-13; 2 John 9-11) Authority to judge within the congregation is God-given. Those who make such judgments are themselves subject to judgment by Christ. They have a responsibility to keep the congregation clean and in a peaceful state. (2 Pet 3:14) That is the way we like it. Rebels and unrepentant law-breakers have no place in Jehovah's arrangement...they never have....and never will.

Our focus is on the most important work assigned to all Christians in these last days, now rapidly drawing to a close. (Matt 24:14)

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If a person disagrees with the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses once they have been baptised into Jehovah's family of worshippers, they are free to leave, just as anyone in a marriage is free to leave, but they cannot do so without breaking a dedication vow.

The organization is not Jehovah. You know that, right?. People who leave believe they can still worship Jehovah in a dedicated fashion. The point Horrorble is making is true, but very dark indeed. If a person wishes to worship Jehovah OUTSIDE of the "true religion" they are marked as sinners and bad association even by their own family members. Where did the shunners get the crazy idea that the worship of Jehovah means subjecting one's self to the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses? Answer, please? Where did the idea come from?

Wherenextcolumbus

How they are treated by the congregation is determined by their actions once they leave.

If they write a letter to the elders saying they no longer want to be known as a JW anymore because of their different beliefs, how are they then treated?
And please don't beat around the bush with your answer.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If they write a letter to the elders saying they no longer want to be known as a JW anymore because of their different beliefs, how are they then treated?

I never wrote a letter. Jesus knows how I feel. How I feel has not become public among the Jehovah's Witnesses. I am still a Jehovah's Witness. If I wrote a letter to the society saying I no longer wished to be associated with the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses (I don't) I would be disfellowshipped. It is interesting how powerful a piece of paper is, isn't it?

Wherenextcolumbus

I never wrote a letter. Jesus knows how I feel. How I feel has not become public among the Jehovah's Witnesses. I am still a Jehovah's Witness. If I wrote a letter to the society saying I no longer wished to be associated with the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses (I don't) I would be disfellowshipped. It is interesting how powerful a piece of paper is, isn't it?

How do they treat you?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How do they treat you?

They don't. I received a call from one Jehovah's Witness friend on the Memorial day of Jesus' last supper to say hi. I did not warn her about what I suspect. That is all. I don't often see Jehovah's Witness around town. I stay home most of the time. When I do see them I am ignored sometimes or "weak" ones say "hi!". I got a routine visit once for a special event (I forget which one). They were two "strong" brothers, because I am dangerous. Haha. It's funny enough.

Wherenextcolumbus

They don't. I received a call from one Jehovah's Witness friend on the Memorial day of Jesus' last supper to say hi. I did not warn her about what I suspect. That is all. I don't often see Jehovah's Witness around town. I stay home most of the time. When I do see them I am ignored sometimes or "weak" ones say "hi!". I got a routine visit once for a special event (I forget which one). They were two "strong" brothers, because I am dangerous. Haha. It's funny enough.

My mother got shunned, she wasn't baptised just studying, for having a bast***d child (me) with my dad, I'm not sure if he was baptised but his parents were. Then my dads dad basically shunned me for being born.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

Not beating around the bush, but explaining things in a reasoning way......
When the Jewish people were formed into a nation and those outside that nation wanted to become worshippers of their God, they had to become Jewish proselytes. They had to live as Jews and worship as Jews or they could not become part of Jewish life or worship. The law screened Jehovah's people off from the "nations" who were viewed as spiritually "unclean" because of their religious practices. No one was free to bring their own ideas about worship.

When Christianity was first formed into a brotherhood, the Christian congregation was likewise an orderly and organized arrangement with teachings and activities that were exclusive to Christians. Again. no one was allowed to bring in their own teachings. (2 John 9-11)

Groups met in private homes until they outgrew these and met in larger buildings. Paul, for a time, taught in the Jewish synagogue, but when opposition arose, he moved to the school auditorium of Tyrannus with those who had become believers; there he discoursed daily for two years. (Acts 19:8-10) In addition, Paul preached extensively from house to house. (Acts 20:20, 21)

I have already outlined the fact that when one takes vows of dedication, one must of necessity worship Jehovah "with his people", who are not scattered about in the churches of Christendom. They have obeyed God's command to "get out of "Babylon the great". (Rev 18:3, 4) Jehovah has always had an organized people, led by human representatives, who teach his truth. We believe that the global brotherhood of Jehovah's Witnesses is that body or spiritual nation today in this time of the end.
They are all "drawn" by Jehovah to his truth. (John 6:44)

You or anyone else is free to believe whatever they like....a person's relationship with God is their business and their choice. No human is their judge.

But those who leave the ark to swim with the sharks can call for help at any time and they can be welcomed back on board. Discipline is designed to teach us something. (Heb 12:7-11) Once we have learned the lesson, humility will bring us back.
"My son, do not belittle the discipline from Jehovah, neither give out when you are corrected by him; for whom Jehovah loves he disciplines; in fact, he scourges every one whom he receives as a son." (Heb 12:5, 6)Sometimes the discipline is hard to take. We can even give out if we see it the wrong way.

Those who want to want to swim with the sharks and invite others into the water with them are also free to do so, but don't expect the faithful ones still on board the ark to continue to view them as "family".

If one is accused of political treason, most people look down on that one as a deserter and a traitor to one's nation, yet when one becomes guilty of spiritual 'treason' with regard to God's nation, opposers take their side and encourage the defection. Go figure.

Those who have left Jehovah's family but who are pretending to be something they are not, do not have the courage of their own convictions IMO. I believe that makes them into cowards.
If they anonymously hide behind an internet avatar to fire their arrows, do they think Jehovah doesn't know or care? :shrug:

My mother got shunned, she wasn't baptised just studying, for having a bast***d child (me) with my dad, I'm not sure if he was baptised but his parents were. Then my dads dad basically shunned me for being born.
Sorry, but that sounds just like all the other one sided stories I have heard over the years.
What is the other side of the story H? Do you really know?

Is sexual immorality a thing condoned by God? You know it isn't.
Can a person be forgiven who is repentant? YES! Always! So what really happened between your mom and dad? Do you know your father?

What loving Christian person would shun a granddaughter for being born? I certainly wouldn't. But access to a child can only be granted by a parent.
Is what you 'know' about the situation, the story your mother has told you? Or do you have first hand experience that this was the case? Have you judged your father's family on the testimony of one side of a story perhaps?

Have you ever put down your pre-conceived notions and actually asked your father or grandparents about what happened between them? Perhaps if you put aside your hurt feelings for a moment and allowed them to speak for themselves, you might hear a different story? Have you ever given them an opportunity without animosity getting in the way? It's hard to talk to someone who won't listen. It's hard to tell someone something they think they already know. :sad:

I do not know your family and I am only asking because truth can sometimes be the casualty of a family rift.

The truth can be a healing if you let it be told in an unbiased way from all sides.
Only with ALL the facts can you make a correct judgment.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not beating around the bush, but explaining things in a reasoning way......
When the Jewish people were formed into a nation and those outside that nation wanted to become worshippers of their God, they had to become Jewish proselytes. They had to live as Jews and worship as Jews or they could not become part of Jewish life or worship. The law screened Jehovah's people off from the "nations" who were viewed as spiritually "unclean" because of their religious practices. No one was free to bring their own ideas about worship.

When Christianity was first formed into a brotherhood, the Christian congregation was likewise an orderly and organized arrangement with teachings and activities that were exclusive to Christians. Again. no one was allowed to bring in their own teachings. (2 John 9-11)

In the last days will come mockers mocking proceeding according to their own desire saying where is he? 2 Peter 3:3 These mockers fashion themselves after Israel.

How are people who believe Jesus is present where two or more gather in his name saying "where is he"? It means where is the promise of his coming? It is supposed that when he comes he will destroy all wickedness. Wickedness is still present. That is why they keep saying "where is this promised presence of his?"

Who is twisting? HOW do you know it is I who twist scripture and not you?

Wherenextcolumbus

Sorry, but that sounds just like all the other one sided stories I have heard over the years.
What is the other side of the story H? Do you really know?

Is sexual immorality a thing condoned by God? You know it isn't.
Can a person be forgiven who is repentant? YES! Always! So what really happened between your mom and dad? Do you know your father?

What loving Christian person would shun a granddaughter for being born? I certainly wouldn't. But access to a child can only be granted by a parent.
Is what you 'know' about the situation, the story your mother has told you? Or do you have first hand experience that this was the case? Have you judged your father's family on the testimony of one side of a story perhaps?

Have you ever put down your pre-conceived notions and actually asked your father or grandparents about what happened between them? Perhaps if you put aside your hurt feelings for a moment and allowed them to speak for themselves, you might hear a different story? Have you ever given them an opportunity without animosity getting in the way? It's hard to talk to someone who won't listen. It's hard to tell someone something they think they already know. :sad:

I do not know your family and I am only asking because truth can sometimes be the casualty of a family rift.

The truth can be a healing if you let it be told in an unbiased way from all sides.
Only with ALL the facts can you make a correct judgment.

Yes I know who my father is, I don't speak to him anymore, and yes I tried to have a relationship with him for many years but he seemed to always put himself and women before me so it never worked out and now we don't speak. If I saw him on the street would I cross the other side of the road like JWs do, no I wouldn't.

My mum fought against access once when I was 4 because I didn't want to see my father and he had a violent streak so she thought I would be better off if I didn't see him. I didn't want to see him cause I was afraid of him, he broke into our flat once when he was drunk.

My grandfather said to my mum's mum who is not a JWs btw, when she approached him to talk about how they should help my parents if they want to get married he told her my mum has given herself to the devil and he doesn't want anything to do with her or the child she was having. And I was the only grandchild he left out of his will when he died as well so he stuck to word through and through. He was an elder btw.

My grandad was a very hard man, saw the world in black and white and so his love was extremely conditional, his wife even committed adultery so they could get a divorce. She never really tried to get close to me either, though I'm kind of glad she is a idiot. When I asked to come to her wedding (note that I had to ask was not invited) she said to my dad"why does she want to come for!?"
So constant rejection from my dads side of the family.

Also my mum was shunned and my dad wasn't!! Ha!! What ever happened to it takes two to tango? there was an elder and his wife who were basically the only ones that were nice to her and still supported her, so 2 out of 60 or whatever ain't bad.

Last edited by a moderator: