• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White collar crime isn’t a crime - according to Giuliani.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani defends Paul Manafort, suggests white-collar crime isn’t really crime

Rudy Giuliani offered a new defense of Paul Manafort on Thursday, suggesting that just because the former Trump campaign chairman was found guilty of a "white collar crime" doesn't mean he's a criminal.
Nah Rudy. It is a crime, and your buddy Paul is a criminal. He stole almost 12 million dollars from the American people. And that is just one of the things he did. If you are an American and you pay your taxes, this guy stole from you. And Trump and Giuliani think that is just fine.

tytlyf

Not Religious
But but Donald was a private citizen! These crimes don't relate to private citizens! RW media is spreading that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani defends Paul Manafort, suggests white-collar crime isn’t really crime

Nah Rudy. It is a crime, and your buddy Paul is a criminal. He stole almost 12 million dollars from the American people. And that is just one of the things he did. If you are an American and you pay your taxes, this guy stole from you. And Trump and Giuliani think that is just fine.

It confirms the observations made by George Carlin back during the Reagan years. There was another administration riddled with lawbreakers, yet they were the "law and order" people:

George Carlin: 225 different people in the Ronald Reagan administration have either quit, been fired, been arrested, indicted, or convicted of either breaking the law or violating the ethics code. 225 of 'em! And Edwin Meese alone...

George Carlin: Edwin Meese alone has been investigated by three separate special prosecutors, and there's a fourth one waiting for him in Washington right now. Three separate special prosecutors have had to look into the activities of the Attorney General; and the Attorney General is the nation's leading law enforcement officer!

George Carlin: See, that's what you've got to remember; this is the Ronald Reagan administration we're talking about. These are the "law and order" people! These are the people who are against street crime. They want to put street criminals in jail to make life safer for the business criminals!

George Carlin: They're against street crime... Yeah! Yeah, they're against street crime, providing that street isn't Wall Street.

George Carlin: What Am I Doing in New Jersey? (1988) - Quotes - IMDb

tytlyf

Not Religious
It confirms the observations made by George Carlin back during the Reagan years. There was another administration riddled with lawbreakers, yet they were the "law and order" people:

George Carlin: 225 different people in the Ronald Reagan administration have either quit, been fired, been arrested, indicted, or convicted of either breaking the law or violating the ethics code. 225 of 'em! And Edwin Meese alone...

George Carlin: Edwin Meese alone has been investigated by three separate special prosecutors, and there's a fourth one waiting for him in Washington right now. Three separate special prosecutors have had to look into the activities of the Attorney General; and the Attorney General is the nation's leading law enforcement officer!

George Carlin: See, that's what you've got to remember; this is the Ronald Reagan administration we're talking about. These are the "law and order" people! These are the people who are against street crime. They want to put street criminals in jail to make life safer for the business criminals!

George Carlin: They're against street crime... Yeah! Yeah, they're against street crime, providing that street isn't Wall Street.

George Carlin: What Am I Doing in New Jersey? (1988) - Quotes - IMDb
George Carlin definitely had some insight. He was often correct in his assessment of what is going on "behind the scenes."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
These are the "law and order" people! These are the people who are against street crime. They want to put street criminals in jail to make life safer for the business criminals!

If corporations are people they should have the same penalties for crimes as flesh-and-blood people including the death penalty where appropriate.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Corporations exist in order to shield individuals from taking full responsibility for their actions. This is, at a basic level, dishonest and corrupt. Capitalism is not the problem, per se, but capitalism made irresponsible by a corporate structure guarantees racketeering.

Shad

Veteran Member
Corporations exist in order to shield individuals from taking full responsibility for their actions. This is, at a basic level, dishonest and corrupt. Capitalism is not the problem, per se, but capitalism made irresponsible by a corporate structure guarantees racketeering.

Incorporation (process) creates this by definition. It separates the business entity from the owners.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

If this is the incident that could finally turn a high % of the US voters far away from Republican Party Politics then 12 million Dollars is affordable.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Rarely do I find agreement with you, but I do on this. Crime is crime.

However, what any of this has to do with Mueller's investigation of Russian collusion is beyond me and I would have fired him 100x already for over-reaching the scope of his investigation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Oh if only. I never liked the corporate "people" model anyways.
I think the corporate person model is an abomination. But if we're going to go there, my dog has a distinct personality and thus should be considered a person under the law.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Incorporation (process) creates this by definition. It separates the business entity from the owners.
Therein lies the problem. The corporation permits the owner to behave in a criminal fashion and profit from that without a real risk of criminal penalties, this is wrong.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Rarely do I find agreement with you, but I do on this. Crime is crime.

However, what any of this has to do with Mueller's investigation of Russian collusion is beyond me and I would have fired him 100x already for over-reaching the scope of his investigation.
You misunderstand the nature of Mueller's investigation.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Presidential_Election_and_Related_Matters.pdf

(b) The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confinned by then-FBI Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including: (i) any links and/or coordination bet ween the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and (ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and (iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).

How did he exceed the scope of the investigation?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm happy Manafort is facing justice, and I hope Trump doesn't pardon him (even though I know he will after the 2020 election). That I have reservations about the manner in which justice was obtained doesn't change that.

How did he exceed the scope of the investigation?
I'd be interested in knowing how decade+ old tax falsifications came up during an investigation into Russian contacts with the Trump campaign in 2016.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm happy Manafort is facing justice, and I hope Trump doesn't pardon him (even though I know he will after the 2020 election). That I have reservations about the manner in which justice was obtained doesn't change that.

I'd be interested in knowing how decade+ old tax falsifications came up during an investigation into Russian contacts with the Trump campaign in 2016.
I don't know myself. The details of the how and why are unlikely to be released until after the investigation is done. It probably falls under either subsection (ii) or (iiii) in the orders that started this. Those can be very broad categories.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
If I recall correctly, the tax fraud is in relation to payments he received as a foreign agent, specifically for the pro-Russian government in Ukraine. Following the Russian ties of Truump’s campaign managers seems like a reasonable place to start.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If I recall correctly, the tax fraud is in relation to payments he received as a foreign agent, specifically for the pro-Russian government in Ukraine. Following the Russian ties of Truump’s campaign managers seems like a reasonable place to start.

And there we have it. Thank you very much.

But as I said, that investigation casts a very wide net and a lot of people have been caught in it already. The "witches" that they have caught have all been rather obviously guilty.

tytlyf

Not Religious
And there we have it. Thank you very much.

But as I said, that investigation casts a very wide net and a lot of people have been caught in it already. The "witches" that they have caught have all been rather obviously guilty.
Additionally, I'll guarantee some of these foreign banks were used during the campaign. Shoveling cash from pro-russia efforts.

The argument that 'this stuff is so old" doesn't hold water. People are not looking at the big picture.