• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Noise

What do you think about EVP?

• Its a very real thing, and spirits do speak to you.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Its fake. The "voices" are just a form of interferance.

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
What is your opinion of EVP? (Electronic Voice Phenoma)

I belive that while it is possible, and spirits really are talking through the white noise, there are easier methods of communication.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Methinks it is like a weasel"

It's the audio equivalent of seeing images in the clouds. The images may be there, but they signify nothing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I voted 'Not sure' because I have only ever heard of this a couple of times; I take it you are referring to what is sometimes claim to be heard on a recording made of nothing, which, on replay produces 'noise'? If that is what you mean, I'm open-minded about it; what I have heard being interpreted, I thought at the time, was a great stretch of the imagination. Like I say, I'm not sure.:)

Shadow Wolf

I take it you are referring to what is sometimes claim to be heard on a recording made of nothing, which, on replay produces 'noise'? If that is what you mean
Yes, that is what Im refering to, allthough the techniques I've always read about require the person doing it to provide some form of noise, such as running water, a white noise radio station, or a fan.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
its like playing music backwards to hear the 'secret messages' and 'satanic stuff'. Its bunk, you hear what you want to hear. IMHO

wa:do

Master Vigil

While I don't doubt the ability for spirits to do something like that. I don't believe they would. It would be stupid and pointless. And all of the instances I have seen, has been interference.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I saw a programme on television not long ago, during which a group were investigating a supposedly haunted house.

One of the things they did was to leave tape recorders on record all night, while they stayed in the same room. They never heard anything during the night, but the follwing morning, they found that the tape contained sounds. They played the tape back, and listened to sentenses - someone was supposed to be talking.

Personally, the noise sounded more like electronic feedback - amplified; the words they claimed were said were, at best sheer fantasy.:)

ayani

i have to agree that this EVP phenomenon is likely wishful thinking.

i've heard a number of EVP recordings and always have to look at the interpretation of the noise to understand what is supposed to be being said. i've never heard anything really clear or convincing.

niceguy

gracie said:
i have to agree that this EVP phenomenon is likely wishful thinking.

i've heard a number of EVP recordings and always have to look at the interpretation of the noise to understand what is supposed to be being said. i've never heard anything really clear or convincing.
I got a hearing disability, I am not deaf but I do routinely "hear wrong", especially in the presence of disturbing background noise like machinery for instance. I guess that if someone are saying something to me and I don't pick up everything my brain will subconsiusly try to "fill in the blanks". Now if this process leads to me "hearing" something that is obviously wrong I just ask the person to repeat themself but if it's reasonably, but still wrong, I may belive that I have understood. This has lead to problems for me from time to time.

Now what will the brain fill the "blanks" with? obviously something I know about but not neccesarily something realistic, thou if it's not realistic I will question what I heard. This work for thing that I see as well, for instance I "know" about dragons, but I do not belive in dragons. Once I saw something from a window in my apartment that looked somewhat like dragon silouette, knowing that there are no dragons I took a closer look and found out it was just a odd looking tree.

I guess many UFO observations are the result of similar experiences, you see something odd and your brain makes an subconscious guess. If you don't belive in UFO's then you can concisely make another attempt at guessing, believers however may simply see a flying saucer or whatever.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Master Vigil said:
While I don't doubt the ability for spirits to do something like that. I don't believe they would. It would be stupid and pointless. And all of the instances I have seen, has been interference.
I just watched a movie called "white noise". It was pretty good.

Hi MV, I haven't engaged with you in a few days, how are you? Hope all is well, and I hope all your plans are coming along.

Anyway, I was going to say, when you are with spirits, how do they commune with you? And if someone was there with some equiptment, would they be able to hear what you hear? Maybe you are one of the few who can actually 'tune in' to the frequency of the spirits.

I am not suggesting that spirits are searching out recording contracts, but if we can be contacted by spirits, couldn't a machine be invented to pick up that same frequency that we do?

Shadow Wolf

And if someone was there with some equiptment, would they be able to hear what you hear?
Thats an interesting idea. Im gonna have to try that one of these days when I get some extra time.

Master Vigil

EnhancedSpirit said:
I just watched a movie called "white noise". It was pretty good.

Hi MV, I haven't engaged with you in a few days, how are you? Hope all is well, and I hope all your plans are coming along.

Anyway, I was going to say, when you are with spirits, how do they commune with you? And if someone was there with some equiptment, would they be able to hear what you hear? Maybe you are one of the few who can actually 'tune in' to the frequency of the spirits.

I am not suggesting that spirits are searching out recording contracts, but if we can be contacted by spirits, couldn't a machine be invented to pick up that same frequency that we do?
Hey there!! I saw that movie a couple weeks ago, it was ok. I am doing well. I am starting to teach more, and moving to a bigger apartment soon. So I am quite excited. :D

Well, since I don't necessarily "hear" anything. There would be nothing for the equipment to pick up. However, since spirits are energy, I would say that any electronic energy, whether the tv, internet, radio, microwave, hair dryer, etc... would be basic spiritual energy. Just not dead people talking to you. :D

niceguy

If you are into listening to "spirts" in the white noise, do what is you can to reduce naturally existing white noice in your recording.

A tape recorder may record the sounds from it's own machinery, to avoid this place it in another room and use a microphone with a long cable, never an internal microphone. Make sure the cable are of a high quality that dosen't easily pick up disturbances from electric fields and such. Avoid laying the microphone cable alongside powercables since thease may distort the signal, thou shorter distances will probably not harm the recording. This is also true when you want to listen to your recording, use good cables and speakers and don't let other power sources disturb the signal. Basically avoid other electric appliances like power converters, thease are very common since few things actually use yhe power directly from the powergrid. Basically I suggest you need a good hifi set, learn about good hifi equipment and learn the installation tips that are avalible for thease. You don't need to get the most expensive eqipment but you need to avoid the low level stuff since, this is also true if you just want to listen to music... :)