• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here has had a stroke?

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Who here has had a stroke?

Last year I had a stroke in my eye

I lost a bit of my peripheral vision in one of my eyes

I had an "Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy" to use the medical terminology

Have been on blood thinners ever since

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Several years ago I had a minor (level 3) stroke that affected my left side: one point for leg drift, one for arm and I forgot what the third point came from.

I was not on blood thinners outside of aspirin at that time but after an afib episode I started taking them.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I had one in 2009, it effected my balance. Hospital for 10 days, walking stick for month before they gave me my driving license back, i was still a little unsteady on my feet for a couple of months.

They have no idea what caused it (kind of worrying ) but stuck me on dipyridamole for 10 years and asprin for life.

Got to have my cholesterol checked every year but so far it's ok so no meds for that.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I had one in 2009, it effected my balance. Hospital for 10 days, walking stick for month before they gave me my driving license back, i was still a little unsteady on my feet for a couple of months.

They have no idea what caused it (kind of worrying ) but stuck me on dipyridamole for 10 years and asprin for life.

Got to have my cholesterol checked every year but so far it's ok so no meds for that.
The hospital I was in wanted to use their expensive gear so they could bill for it so did three brain scans and found the location with the third one. That was a totally useless if expensive (to Medicare) piece of information. The cause was "ischemic". In other words, a piece of plaque broke off a blood vessel and blocked a small part of my brain. And of course the long term treatment was and is to lower the odds of that happening again.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The hospital I was in wanted to use their expensive gear so they could bill for it so did three brain scans and found the location with the third one. That was a totally useless if expensive (to Medicare) piece of information. The cause was "ischemic". In other words, a piece of plaque broke off a blood vessel and blocked a small part of my brain. And of course the long term treatment was and is to lower the odds of that happening again.

I was with the NHS then, maybe not the most up to date equipment (though it was a teaching hospital). 3 different types of scan, nothing found except a dark stain where blood had escaped from a burst vein

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was with the NHS then, maybe not the most up to date equipment (though it was a teaching hospital). 3 different types of scan, nothing found except a dark stain where blood had escaped from a burst vein
It apears you had a hemorrhagic stoke which can be a *lot* worse when it comes to recovery. From my understanding you were lucky.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I had what may have been a TIA back in 2019, and MRI scans showed evidence of a previous TIA. They put me on Plavix and enteric aspirin afterward.

I have since changed careers and weaned myself off the Plavix and then off the aspirin.