• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Jesus?

Chisti

Salam,

I know most Christians consider Jesus the son of God, but are there any denominations that believe that he was the messiah that came for Israel, and that he was distinct from God?

Thanks.

Kurohige

Jesus is phrophet of God, a manifestation of God, a Reflect of the many qualities that God posses here on earth, but among this qualities there is one that he(jesus) doesn't share with God and this is humbleness, God is not humble but His prophets are, they know true submission.

(John 8:49-50) "I honor my father and you dishonor me. But I do not seek my glory; there is One who seeks and judges."
(Mark 12: 29-30) "The Lord our God is One Lord.”And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength."

He was a servant, a prophet, the Messiah.

There are several Christian denominations that believe that fact, as well as Muslims, and the Baha'i. There are even Messianic Jews (I think)!

fenrisx

Salam,

I know most Christians consider Jesus the son of God, but are there any denominations that believe that he was the messiah that came for Israel, and that he was distinct from God?

Thanks.

Jesus Christ imo, was a manifestation of God on earth, the Son of God if you will, sent to fullfil the law, not replace it, reveal the new Covenant, and died for the sins of Man for salvation and the concept of the Christ goes beyond that, making itself the ideal that we should all strive towards.

ZooGirl02

I believe that Jesus is the Son of God. He was God made flesh. I also believe that he was without sin. As for whether or not Mary was a virgin when she conceived him, I have no idea. Traditional Christianity teaches she was indeed a virgin when she conceived him and some believe she remained a virgin for her entire life. Personally, I highly doubt that she remained a virgin for her entire life if she did conceive him as a virgin which I also doubt.

Biblestudent_007

I generally agree with what others have said in this thread.

With proper Christology He has a human nature and a divine nature , the Divinity of Christ is related to Him being the Son of God.

There is also a reference to the 'Deity' in Colossians -

Colossians 2.9

9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Salam,

Thanks.
Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus Christ is physically distinct from His Father, and was sent by His Father to do His (i.e. the Father's) will. We believe that they were "one," but not one in "substance." Their unity was in will, purpose, mind and heart. Jesus also was, is, and will continue to be subordinate to His Father, not in terms of their divinity but in terms of their ranking within the Godhead.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Jesus is phrophet of God, a manifestation of God, a Reflect of the many qualities that God posses here on earth, but among this qualities there is one that he(jesus) doesn't share with God and this is humbleness, God is not humble but His prophets are, they know true submission.
You just can't learn to read, can you? This is the Christianity DIR. You are NOT a Christian, so your input on who Jesus was is completely irrelevant to this conversation. Please learn to look which forum you are on before posting. This is getting really, really old.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I believe that Jesus is the Son of God. He was God made flesh. I also believe that he was without sin. As for whether or not Mary was a virgin when she conceived him, I have no idea. Traditional Christianity teaches she was indeed a virgin when she conceived him and some believe she remained a virgin for her entire life. Personally, I highly doubt that she remained a virgin for her entire life if she did conceive him as a virgin which I also doubt.
Why would you doubt that she conceived Him as a virgin?

Uldin

"Who is jesus"
That's one question I've been struggling with for a very long time. I do believe he is the Son of God and the Messiah promised by God, but in that case, are He and Yahweh the same person? As Christians, who should we pray to, Jesus or God? If we can do both, isn't that polytheism?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
"Who is jesus"
That's one question I've been struggling with for a very long time. I do believe he is the Son of God and the Messiah promised by God, but in that case, are He and Yahweh the same person? As Christians, who should we pray to, Jesus or God? If we can do both, isn't that polytheism?
I think that all depends upon how you define polytheism. The word has very negative connotations among people who believe in the Abrahamic God, which is why it is so often used to try to discredit those who claim to be monotheistic but who recognize the Father and the Son as being physically separate divine beings. Here's a short list of terms that may be useful in this conversation:

• Monotheism (belief that there is only one God)
  • Tritheism (understanding the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost as distinct Gods)
  • Polytheism (worship of, or belief in, more than one God)
  • Henotheism (worship of one God without denying the existence of other Gods; also called Monolatry)
  • Trinitarianism (belief that God consists of three Persons in one substance)
  • Social Trinitarianism (belief that the oneness of the three Persons is not one of substance but is social in nature [e.g., unity of thought, etc.])
  • Modalism (belief that there is only one God that does not exist as three separate Persons but rather manifests itself in three different "modes" [i.e., as Father, Son, or Holy Ghost])
As you can see, there is a certain degree of overlapping between these definitions. I would have to describe myself as a Social Trinitarian.

In answer to your specific question, most Muslims would say that all Christians are -- technically speaking -- polytheists. But Jesus Christ specifically said that we should pray to "our Father in Heaven," but that we should offer our prayers "in His (i.e. Jesus') name. If you do that, you are not a polytheist, at all. You are simply recognizing that there is more than one legitimate meaning for the word "one." In other words, the Father and the Son may be "one," but that does not necessarily mean that they are numerically "one." Consider instead that their unity is in their absolute singleness of purpose and will. They are "one," meaning that they are "united in some significant way." This means that it is impossible to worship one of them without simultaneously worshipping the other one.