• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Jesus?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
In my opinion, I don’t think anybody’s fooled when we talk about Jesus and who he is. In my opinion I think most of us know he’s a man living today and not a man who lived 2000 years ago. It’s also easy to understand why people don’t talk that way. I get it.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
In my opinion, I don’t think anybody’s fooled when we talk about Jesus and who he is. In my opinion I think most of us know he’s a man living today and not a man who lived 2000 years ago. It’s also easy to understand why people don’t talk that way. I get it.
In my opinion, Jesus today as far as I’m concerned personally has become a form of personality cult worship. Jesus would never have approved of this. All He asked us to do was love one another not worship Him.

Bjm

John 8:42 Jesus said to them: “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I have not come of my own initiative, but that One sent me.

John 1:14 So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son+ from a father; and he was full of divine favor and truth.

John 13:1 Now because he knew before the festival of the Passover that his hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father, Jesus, having loved his own who were in the world, loved them to the end. 2 The evening meal was going on, and the Devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Is·carʹi·ot, the son of Simon, to betray him. 3 So Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands and that he came from God and was going to God,

Luke 24: 44 He then said to them: “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was yet with you, that all the things written about me in the Law of Moses and in the Prophets and Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then he opened up their minds fully to grasp the meaning of the Scriptures, 46 and he said to them, “This is what is written: that the Christ would suffer and rise from among the dead on the third day, 47 and on the basis of his name, repentance for forgiveness of sins would be preached in all the nations starting out from Jerusalem.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yes, He is alive today - in Heaven, seated at the right hand of the Father. Hallelujah!

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

In my opinion, if Jesus lived 2,000 years ago, then I believe he was just a regular man and a popular religious teacher whose followers spread embellished stories about him, including modified stories about demigods from Greek mythology and other pagan religions that would make him appear godlike.

The following is what I wrote about the stories of Jesus in another thread.

In my opinion, the stories about Jesus are just that—stories. It's debatable whether these stories are based on definitive facts or not. In my opinion, they were either based on hearsay, embellished stories, or various myths copied and adapted from ancient pagan religions. I believe that many of the stories about him were embellished to make him appear as if he were a god, and that other stories about him were copied and adapted from Greek mythology and a few other ancient pagan religions to give him demigod attributes, such as a divine birth, performing supernatural miracles, walking on the water, miraculously healing the sick, raising the dead, and being resurrected from the dead. Do you know how you can tell a story to a group of people, and over time the initial story changes dramatically because a few people forget what was said, so they guess by making something up to fill in the blanks, or they add their own desired narratives to embellish the story? I believe this could be the reason why the stories of Jesus vastly spread from region to region, and that these stories about him were greatly embellished to make him appear to be godlike and also the son of the biblical God. Again, this is my opinion.

If you replace the name Jesus with Attis (the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation), you'll have a strikingly familiar savior story similar to that of Jesus, except the Greek myths about Attis are dated 1250 BCE, which predates the Bible and Christianity (see here). In fact, you could replace the name Jesus with any of the other gods described in the following articles linked below and have more familiar stories that not only parallel the stories of his alleged crucifixion, death, and resurrection but also parallel other stories that have been written in the Bible about him. And, like the mythical stories about Attis, these other stories about Christ-like figures from Greek mythology and other pagan religions predate both the Bible and Christianity. I suggest learning more about Jesus in comparative mythology. You can start here: Jesus in comparative mythology. In my opinion, these other accounts of Christlike figures demonstrate that paganism had a significant influence on the stories about Jesus and that Christianity's beliefs are not unique. In other words, the savior story of Jesus isn't the first of its kind and, in my opinion, isn't any more believable than all the other savior stories that predate it. I know that Christians like to claim that the Bible was divinely inspired by God and that Christianity is the only true religion in the world, but I don't believe that is true based on the information provided in these articles and in other similar ones. Christianity, in my opinion, is a cheap imitation of other religions and isn't superior to other religions.

10 Christ-Like Figures that predate Jesus

The Truth About Mythological Figures Similar To Jesus

Other Gods That Rose From the Dead in Spring Before Jesus Christ

Based on the information I've read, if a religious leader named Yehoshua (also called Yeshua or Jesus) existed in biblical times, he was most likely just an ordinary man and popular religious teacher whose devoted followers embellished the stories about him, and more embellishment and folklore were later added to these stories to make him appear to be more than he actually was. I believe that it's probable that he was simply a well-liked religious teacher whose loyal followers spread false stories about him to make him appear godlike. I also think that it's likely that a few stories about him were copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions, which predate Christianity and the Bible. In my opinion, it's plagiarized pagan myths.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Actually, there are any number of different opinions about who Jesus is. Most Christians believe him to be God, having eternally existed, his birth being only his incarnation as a man and not his origin.

To me as a Jew, Jesus was just a nice Jewish man who lived 2000 years ago, and is of no significance to me. He is now dead and buried.

It is kind of presumptuous for you to assume that people REALLY believe as you do, and just pretend to believe differently. It shows lack of empathy on your part to appreciate that others can disagree with you.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. I interviewed him about a week before Christmas.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with his background check, so I don't think I'll be able to hire him.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Yes, that is what some people believe to be true, but it is just a religious belief and not a definitive fact because whether Jesus existed or not is debatable.
Video on existence of Jesus by Bart Ehrman - a UNC professor and biblical scholar (a non-believer):

mikeMcGummary

*banned*
I see what you did there.
During this period Jerusalem was under the rule of the Romans which the local community strongly rejected.

When the great revolt against the pagan Romans and their collaborators (66-74 AD) finally occurred, it began among the Galileans.
That the World May Know | Rabbi and Talmidim

in Palestine there were a number of occasions when more restless elements in the population resisted Roman abuses and followed the tradition of “zealousness for the Law.”

under the Romans (ruled 37-4 B.C.E.). Herod surrounded himself with Greek scholars and undertook many building projects, including a magnificent and fortified palace. He rebuilt the Temple in Jerusalem.

Before he died, Jesus of Nazareth was born.

Life for the Jews under the procurators was exceedingly difficult. This protrait is confirmed by the Jewish historian Josephus who chronicled a number of events that provoked the Jews under Pilate and other procurators, leading to riots, beatings, and executions.

Jewish rebellion against Roman rule in Judaea. The revolt was preceded by years of clashes between Jews and Romans in the area.
Bar Kokhba Revolt | History & Facts | Britannica

The history of the Jews in the Roman Empire
Rebellion in Judaea

Although Judaea was ruled by the Romans,
the governors there had practiced the same kind of religious tolerance as was shown to Jews in Rome.

In 66 AD, this discontent exploded into open rebellion. Four years later, the Roman army had crushed the revolt, but had also destroyed the temple. The sacred treasures were seized and shown off in a procession through the streets of Rome.
The Roman Empire: in the First Century. The Roman Empire. Jews In Roman Times | PBS

The history of Palestine is the study of the past in the region of Palestine, defined as the territory between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River.

In the late 2nd century BCE, the semi-independent Hasmonean kingdom conquered most of Palestine but the kingdom gradually became a vassal of Rome, which annexed Palestine in 63 BCE. Roman rule was troubled by Jewish rebellions, which Rome answered with by destroying the Jews' temple.
History of Palestine - Wikipedia

The crucifixion of Jesus occurred in 1st-century Judea, most likely in either AD 30 or AD 33. According to the canonical gospels Jesus was arrested and tried by the Sanhedrin, and then sentenced by Pontius Pilate to be scourged, and finally crucified by the Romans.

Collectively referred to as the Passion, Jesus' suffering and redemptive death by crucifixion are the central aspects of Christian theology concerning the doctrines of salvation and atonement.
Crucifixion of Jesus - Wikipedia

In the canonical gospels, Pilate's court refers to the trial of Jesus in praetorium before Pontius Pilate, preceded by the Sanhedrin Trial. In the Gospel of Luke, Pilate finds that Jesus, being from Galilee, belonged to Herod Antipas' jurisdiction, and so he decides to send Jesus to Herod. After questioning Jesus and receiving very few replies, Herod sees Jesus as no threat and returns him to Pilate.

,.,..,, while Matthew adds an intermission during the trial before Pilate that narrates the suicide of Judas Iscariot.

At the time Jerusalem was part of Roman Judea, the charges of the Sanhedrin against Jesus held no power before Pilate. From the three charges brought by the Pharisees leaders (perverting the nation, forbidding the payment of tribute, and sedition against the Roman Empire), Pilate picks up on the third one, asking: "Are you the King of the Jews?". Jesus replies with "You have said so". Then the hearing continues, and Pilate finally asks Jesus "What is truth?". This was said after learning that Jesus did not wish to claim any terrestrial kingdom. He was therefore not a political threat and could be seen as innocent of such a charge. [Jn. 18:36]

Stepping back outside, Pilate publicly declared that he found no basis to charge Jesus,
Pilate's court - Wikipedia

Early in the morning the chief priests and elders planned to have Jesus executed.

Thirty pieces of silver was the price for which Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus, according to an account in the Gospel of Matthew 26:15 in the New Testament. Before the Last Supper, Judas is said to have gone to the chief priests and agreed to hand over Jesus in exchange for 30 silver coins

Pilate explained the amnesty vote and asked:

They [local Rabbi’s]shouted back: 'No, not him! Give us Barabbas!' Narrator explains Barrabas.

Pilate had Jesus flogged. Soldiers put a crown of thorns and purple robe on Jesus,

Chief priests and officials shouted: 'Crucify! Crucify!' Pilate: 'Go ahead and crucify him. I myself find no guilt in him.' Jewish leaders: 'Our law says he must die because he claimed to be the Son of God.'

Pilate, afraid, interrogated Jesus inside. Jesus: 'You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.' Pilate tried to set Jesus free.

Jewish leaders [Rabbis]: 'If you let him go, you disobey Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.'

Pilate brought out Jesus around noon, saying: 'Here is your king.' They [local Rabbis] shouted: 'Take him away, crucify him!'

Pilate: 'Shall I crucify your king?' Chief priests: 'We have no king but Caesar.'

Pilate handed Jesus over to them for crucifixion.

Early in the morning Jesus was taken to Pilate by the Jewish leaders

Pilate, outside: 'I find no guilt in him.'

In the New Testament, the Sanhedrin trial of Jesus refers to the trial of Jesus before the Sanhedrin (a Jewish judicial body) (NOTE: the Jewish leaders were Rabbis) following his arrest in
Sanhedrin trial of Jesus - Wikipedia

In conclusion, after reviewing all the available written facts concerning Jesus Christ, I find overwhelming evidence that Jesus Christ did not die for our sins but was murdered by the Romans, at the request of the local Rabbis in Jerusalem and in return, the revolt against the Roman occupation would stop.

After reviewing all the evidence, I could find, the above is my conclusion.

Agree with it or disagree-?

Sir Joseph

Over 2 billion Christians and Catholics in the world today recognize the Jesus of the Bible that lived 2000 years ago. Even if that does comprise a technical minority of 8 billion people in the world today, it's certainly a significant percentage. Thus, I'd suggest that "most of us know" otherwise is a misleading statement.

There is simply too much evidence, both Biblical and secular, that the Jesus of the Bible was a real person in history who lived 2000 years ago. Very few learned scholars will dismiss this fact anymore, or that he suffered a death by crucifixion and made an unprecedented impact upon the world with his ministry. The only legitimate debate remains over the witness testimonies of his miracles and his claim to divinity.

ppp

There is simply too much evidence, both Biblical and secular, that the Jesus of the Bible was a real person in history who lived 2000 years ago.
There really isn't. There is just enough evidence to accept that going under the working premise that there was a real guy is not unreasonable. There is not enough evidence to accept that we know anything about him or that the stories told about him are anything but legend.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
There is simply too much evidence, both Biblical and secular, that the Jesus of the Bible was a real person in history who lived 2000 years ago.
I agree that a historical Jesus existed. But not due to the bible. The gospels are simply collections of legends spliced together decades after his death, and are not historically reliable.

But for example, we have AMPLE evidence of James the Brother of Jesus, who was the leader of the Nazarenes in Jerusalem. James devoted his life to his brother, so it follows that his brother, Jesus, also existed.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Actually, there are any number of different opinions about who Jesus is. Most Christians believe him to be God, having eternally existed, his birth being only his incarnation as a man and not his origin.

To me as a Jew, Jesus was just a nice Jewish man who lived 2000 years ago, and is of no significance to me. He is now dead and buried.

It is kind of presumptuous for you to assume that people REALLY believe as you do, and just pretend to believe differently. It shows lack of empathy on your part to appreciate that others can disagree with you.
I have found out from my study of the Bible that Jesus is not part of a trinity of 3 equal persons called God, that he called God his Father. And a son is not as old as his father. I used to believe as you do about Jesus being a nice man who was sadly killed but really didn't know why.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Who is Jesus?
Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful and righteous Israelite Messiah was son of Mary (neither G-d, nor son of G-d, nor G-d in the flesh, nor a Christian) a human being with the mission to reform the then existing "Judaism Religion", Messenger and Prophet of G-d, right?

Regards

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Who is Jesus?
Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful and righteous Israelite Messiah was son of Mary (neither G-d, nor son of G-d, nor G-d in the flesh, nor a Christian) a human being with the mission to reform the then existing "Judaism Religion", Messenger and Prophet of G-d, right?

Regards
Best answer I’ve heard. I believe exactly the same way you put it. Messenger and Prophet of God.