• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is St. Ezra? I'm learning about St. Ezra.

River Sea

Warning I'm clumsy at this. Also I could get things mixes up and be wrong.

Who is St. Ezra? I'm learning about St. Ezra and I already gotten in trouble.

St Ezra was at 600 bce during Babylonia captivity.

Yet I learned
So is Ezra 600 BCE or Ezra (fl. 480–440 BCE)

So Ezra are you in 600 BCE or 480-440 BCE

Keep in mind that at times I'll be wrong as I learn.
I'll begin with questions because that's how I learn.
I ask myself questions to keep me interested. Questions open my mind (in a delayed way, though) because it takes me time to process information.

Who is St. Ezra?
Why is Ezra a saint?
What was happening during 600 BCE surrounding Ezra?
What had you learned about Ezra that has helped you in your life?
What evidence is there to prove of the existence of Ezra?

There's my questions so far.

So I think it's all organized now and no longer in trouble, everyone can be with smiles now in this forum.

Help me with this, as Ezra is a complete stranger to me

I understand I can research online

Right now I'm just seeking to not get in trouble and everyone on this forum will be happy

is this organized now?

I use to get in trouble for 1500 BCE era because I was learning about burnt bake bricks needs 50% of straw, but now I'm in trouble for is it 600 BCE or 480-440 BCE

So warning anyone I'm clumsy and many times I'm wrong.

So who is Ezra?

ChatwithGod

ChatwithGod.ai
St. Ezra isn't widely recognized as a saint in mainstream Christian traditions, but Ezra is a respected figure in the Bible. He's known for leading the second wave of Jews returning from exile and for his dedication to restoring the law of Moses among the people.

River Sea

St. Ezra isn't widely recognized as a saint in mainstream Christian traditions, but Ezra is a respected figure in the Bible. He's known for leading the second wave of Jews returning from exile and for his dedication to restoring the law of Moses among the people.

@ChatwithGod
About when do you think Ezra was around during 400 BCE or 600 BCE?

Also, what were the borrowed loanwords during the Ezra era, and how much did this affect Ezra? Were any of these borrowed loanwords Ancient Egyptian words?

What caused Ezra not to be widely recognized as a saint in the mainstream Christian tradition, what does that mean mainstream in Christianity, compared to what is Christianity when not mainstream?

What is a saint?

River Sea

He's known for leading the second wave of Jews returning from exile and for his dedication to restoring the law of Moses among the people.

@ChatwithGod
How many laws did Ezra restore? Was it 613 laws?
Do Jews nowadays know about Ezra restoring these laws?
What happened to the laws before Ezra restored these laws?

"In lieu of" means the same thing as "substituting for."

@ChatwithGod
Did the Jews "in lieu" of and "substituting for" before the restoring that Ezra did with the laws?

Similar to what's happening now, as who'll be the next Ezra?
Because look at this, the laws need to be restored all over again. Because it was destroyed in 70 CE? So Jews in lieu and substitute now, and did Jews similar in lieu and substitute before what Ezra did? Take a look at @IndigoChild5559 Quote.
Sacrifices can only be done in the Temple. Since the Temple was destroyed in 70 CE and has not yet been rebuilt, we do not do sacrifices. We pray in lieu of sacrifices.

What we have today is the application interpretations of the Torah by the Rabbis. No one Rabbi has that authority. Rather we look at the totality of the Talmud, the writings of the sages, and contemporary thought.

@ChatwithGod
Is Ezra in the Talmud even if not in the Talmud but should be in the Talmud due to all that Ezra did in restoring the laws? What are Sages and contemporary thought?

It's simply was not our custom to supply the Temple with flowers. However, many SYNAGOGUES do have flower arrangements in them.

I can't speak for Hinduism. I have no idea.

What do Flowers mean in Synagogues? Did Ezra ever use flowers in any way?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
How many laws did Ezra restore? Was it 613 laws?
My answer is going to be complex, so I ask for your patience.

1. In the account given in our sacred texts, yes, Ezra united the Jews who returned to the Land under the Torah. Indeed, even when the Temple was rebuilt, the priority of the law and necessary obedience of every Jew was established in a way it had never been before. That's the Biblical account.

2. However, modern scholarship takes a slightly different view. With all respect due to Ezra, the archaeology seems to indicate that widespread obedience to the Torah didn't really begin until the Maccabean era. Ezra may have urged obedience to the Torah, but it didn't "take" until later in history.

It is the rabbinical tradition that the Torah has 613 commandments, but truth be told, this has less to do with actually counting them, than with 613 simply being a "special" number. Jews have a long tradition of looking for meaning in numbers called "gematria." For example, it is often stated that there are 248 positive commandments corresponding to the 248 bones in the human body and 365 negative commandments corresponding to the 365 sinews (or tendons).

It is AFTER deciding there are 613 that THEN the rabbis go looking for what those 613 are, and that these lists weren't always the same. For example, Maimonides had a very different approach than ibn Ezra.

The other thing that many non-Jews are unaware of is that there is no Torah without Oral Torah (aka the Talmud). Jewish law is not determined entirely by the five books of law, but is completely dependent on the interpretations of the Rabbis.

Do Jews nowadays know about Ezra restoring these laws?
It depends on how educated they are in Judaism. The Jews I hang with certainly do know.
What happened to the laws before Ezra restored these laws?
Before I answer, tell me which view you want to me to discuss: the one from the sacred texts, or what historians and archeologists say?
Did the Jews "in lieu" of and "substituting for" before the restoring that Ezra did with the laws?
Yes. The idea is best articulated by Hosea in verse 14:3, "so will we render as bullocks [sacrifices] the words of our lips [prayers]." He wrote this as the northern kingdom of Israel was in a chaotic state and soon to fall to the Assyrians. That's a long time before Ezra. However, we have stories that indicate that this principle was followed in Babylon when there was no temple. For example, Daniel prayed three times a day -- these three prayers are given the same names as the three daily sacrifices that had been done in the temple.
Similar to what's happening now, as who'll be the next Ezra?
There will not be another Ezra. Ezra was a prophet. Malachi was the final prophet, and the age of the prophets is now closed.
Is Ezra in the Talmud even if not in the Talmud but should be in the Talmud due to all that Ezra did in restoring the laws? What are Sages and contemporary thought?
The Talmud is basically a book that contains the ORAL traditions. Some of these would have been around in Ezra's day, and some came later. The Talmud certainly discusses Ezra, and how he led the Jews back to Jerusalem, and placed the Law at the core of Judaism.
What do Flowers mean in Synagogues? Did Ezra ever use flowers in any way?
Flowers? They were kind of used the same way they are used in most houses of worship for most religions. They decorate the place, and they make things more celebratory during festivals, particularly Sukkot (although that's more for the booths than the temple).

This is the second time you have asked me about flowers, which are pretty insignificant. Is there a reason this is important to you?

River Sea

Flowers? They were kind of used the same way they are used in most houses of worship for most religions. They decorate the place, and they make things more celebratory during festivals, particularly Sukkot (although that's more for the booths than the temple).

This is the second time you have asked me about flowers, which are pretty insignificant. Is there a reason this is important to you?

Reason why I was asking about flowers
Rabbi Alan Brill is sharing how the western wall is the same as the Hindu shrine; put flowers and paint a face on the western wall, and one has a Hindu shrine.

52:29
phenomenologically if you leave out all the theology mm-hmm is very much as if the the you're
52:35
getting a darshan at the Western Wall yeah and that the big difference is if
52:41
this was a Hindu shrine someone to eventually draw a face on the Western
52:48
and let's put some ribbons on it right
52:53
and then flowers in front of it and you
53:01
know the same thing is going on so what is the significance of the western wall

I bring it to the area in video as Rabbi Alan Brill shared how Hindu Shrine and Western all would be the same thing

Screenshot
1728774486674.png

1728774596039.png

1728774281675.png

1728774372251.png

@IndigoChild5559

That's why I was asking about flowers

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Reason why I was asking about flowers
Rabbi Alan Brill is sharing how the western wall is the same as the Hindu shrine; put flowers and paint a face on the western wall, and one has a Hindu shrine.

52:29
phenomenologically if you leave out all the theology mm-hmm is very much as if the the you're
52:35
getting a darshan at the Western Wall yeah and that the big difference is if
52:41
this was a Hindu shrine someone to eventually draw a face on the Western
52:48
and let's put some ribbons on it right
52:53
and then flowers in front of it and you
53:01
know the same thing is going on so what is the significance of the western wall

I bring it to the area in video as Rabbi Alan Brill shared how Hindu Shrine and Western all would be the same thing

That's why I was asking about flowers
Thank you. I'm understanding you much better now.

I have never personally been to the Kotel, but my understanding is that people do sometimes bring flowers with they place into the cracks of the wall, just as they do written prayers. When my brother would go visit Israel, he would always take a prayer from me to place in one of the cracks.