• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's Smarter, Men or Women?

Cynic

Women fully develop their cognitive abilities before men do. They also draw on areas of the brain involved in verbal/nonverbal language more than men do. Certain regions of the brain are bigger. Women are generally more intuitive. So which sex is generally smarter?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I ain't touching this one with a ten foot poll! No matter what I say, it will be wrong!
fight1.gif

AquilaKit

I vote women. We tend to be more mature than the males and don't goof off in class as much, so we learn more and are generally smarter as a result. I'm just going off observations here, I don't know the science behind female and male intelligence.

Cynic

AquilaKit said:
I vote women. We tend to be more mature than the males and don't goof off in class as much, so we learn more and are generally smarter as a result. I'm just going off observations here, I don't know the science behind female and male intelligence.
Women are known to be more attentive, especially at a younger age when compared to men.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Male brains and female brains are better at doing different things. You can't compare two different things and and get a better out of them. There's pros and cons to both.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i think women have/use multiple parts of the brain for verbal communication, where as men only have/use one part - thats why you hardly find girls that stutter, but its relatively common in boys.

women are (generally speaking) a lot better at organisation, and thus are at an advantage in the education system, as a result, girls are getting smarter than boys. but that is a big generalisation, i know guys who are very organised, and girls who can't even find a piece of paper to bring to school.

Aqualung

Tasty
Mike182 said:
in what area?
All areas. :D

Not really, but I do find myself one of the smartest people I know. I don't necessarily know more than others, but I learn things really quickly and retain things really well.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Personally, I think men and women are equal in the thinking department, but women tend to be a bit more flakey and men tend to be a bit more arrogant and annoying, when it comes to their reasoning.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Cynic said:
Women fully develop their cognitive abilities before men do. They also draw on areas of the brain involved in verbal/nonverbal language more than men do. Certain regions of the brain are bigger. Women are generally more intuitive. So which sex is generally smarter?
Talk about controversial!

Certain areas of the female brain might be bigger, but different areas will be bigger in men. And as a whole the female brain is 20% smaller than the male brain. Does this mean men are smarter? Obviously not.

In my experience men and women are about the same as far as intellectual 'smartness' is concerned, but we differ in our cleverness when it comes to other things like social situations, and sometimes common sense :eek:.

standing_on_one_foot

Well, if we're talking things like IQ, on average, I think women tend to be more in the middle and men tend to make up more of the extremes (so you get more who are very intelligent and also more who have very low IQ). One idea is that it's got to do with genes on the X chromosome, like color blindness, and since men only have one the gene can't be cancelled out by a different one on a second X. However, I don't know any specifics on research into this.

But there's so much variety among humans, I'm not sure how much that really means. I suspect that sex is not the most important factor when it comes to intelligence.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
ladies_men_pic.gif

Who is smarter...men or women.

I would have to type that men and women are smart in their own way.

We are each our own.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
AquilaKit said:
You're confusing education with intelligence. The two things aren't necessarily a hand in hand deal.
Everyone is different. Some men are more intelligent than some women, who are more intelligent than some other men, but not as intelligent as the women who are smarter than the first lot of 'some men' are.
So who's smarter?
The person who's the smartest, of course.:D

I think it might be an easier question if you define what you mean by smart. AL defines her ability to retain information as smartness. I'd define that as a good memory rather than something that was necessarily a sign of intelligence. There are people out there as dumb as bricks who can still win a game of Trivial Pursuit because they remember every bit of crap they've stumbled across in their entire lives.They're not going to come up with a cure for cancer, though.

nutshell

:sarcastic The way you posed your question wasn't slanted at all.

If you ask "Who's smarter," I'll ask, "At what?"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I dont think gender has anything to do with it. Society runs largly on steriotypes, conformity, and expectations. While girls are expected to be neat and organized, and do better in school, there is the saying "boys will be boys." One of my friends never got anything lower than a B, and even that was rare. He's going to Purdue on nothing but scholorships he won, all of them were for academic achievements. I also know plenty of girls who were "average to below average" students. Myself, I mainly made B's and C's in school.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Pffft. :slap: :)

Moot. Moot. Moot.

Men and women. Apples and oranges. The genders simply can't ever be compared to one another.

Peace,
Mystic