• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are dogs hostile to me when I'm passing by them on the sidewalk ?

Massimo2002

If I'm passing by a yard they will bark and terrify me Infact one time I was passing by a lady walking her two dogs and they barked and almost jumped up to attack me.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If I'm passing by a yard they will bark and terrify me Infact one time I was passing by a lady walking her two dogs and they barked and almost jumped up to attack me.
Are you sure they wanted to attack you? Most dogs are just curious and friendly. They want to greet you. I always greet the dogs as well as I greet the humans.
But if they are really hostile, maybe change your deodorant. Dogs have very sensitive noses.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If they are bearing teeth and snarling then they want to attack you, otherwise they are..

a/ protecting their patch
b/ want to say hello

Dogs are not usually violent unless trained to be that way.

wellwisher

If it is only happening to you, then you are giving off a vibe/scent, that is causing that reaction by the dogs. Dogs can smell fear. Or the owner can also be doing that, but knowingly; training a guard dog, or unknowingly for the wrong reason. I have two little dogs that bark at anything, including me, if I enter the house. In this case, it is a friendly bark to acknowledge they missed me. Watch the tail. If the tail is wagging and they are barking it not a fully serious bark; rough play. If the tail stops then they are serious.

Not all barks are created equal. I once had a large dog, who I socialized to be good with dogs and cats. He especially liked small dogs. Many small dogs would bark at him, but I could tell by his calm matter, they were not a threat to him or me. Some dogs are expressive. Because my larger dog was calm and did not over react to barks, sometimes smaller dogs who were bullies, would try to bully and nip him. Then he would fight back, by putting the dog in his mouth, and pinning him the ground, but not bite him, so the dog had a reality check. Not all big dogs will be nice.

This summer where I like to walk, a woman had this small-medium sized dog that would bark at me, as well as others. She had him on leash so there was no danger. What caused this dog barking problem was her, but in an unintentional way.

She knew her dog was not well mannered, so when people would cross her path, she would become afraid her dog would bark and be disrespectful. Her dog sensed her fear, and he misinterpreted it as her being afraid of the person. The dog is not a mind reader but assumed cause and effect; new person and then her fear. What reinforced this was she would tighten up the leash, causing a vector that would align her, her dog and the person; me, in a straight line, so the dog interpreted me as the source of her fear.

I know about dogs and told her, in a nice way, how the dynamics appears to be happening, since I like dogs and this was a common issue. It took her a few weeks until she got some training help, and now she walks the dog and meets a new person she looks in another direction, allows the leash to be slack; no vector, stays calm, and her dog greets me and I pat him. He is getting better each day. Now he has more freedom and she allows some off leash.