• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are most people on YouTube comments and 4chan and incel forums so hateful and terrible ?

Massimo2002

This is a mystery to me. YouTube and 4chan and Incels should be happy people not the angry hateful pissed off people that they are.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Far better and far better equipped minds than mine attempt to understand those situations, but I will give it a go anyway.

1) People deal with varied levels of frustrations, and quite a few people lack proper outlets to express and attempt to resolve those frustrations.

Internet channels as those you describe can be perceived as convenient alternatives, mainly because they provide a degree of distance and anonimity.

2) It is also possible that some people are lacking in opportunity to feel noticed and heard and end up becoming online trolls of some sort for the thrill alone.

3) Incels, specifically, are generally presumed to be very frustrated people - it is sort of built into the very concept of an incel. May I respectfully ask whether there is any chance of you mistaking incels for people who are asexual, aromantic or both?

4) I don't want to neglect the matter of bias of sample selection. By their very nature, online fora can be very distant from a fair portrayal of their users. Not everyone who reads posts. Not everyone who posts will do so at their best or typical mental states. Not all who do will have something significant to say. And it is just easier to remember and to feel motivated to respond to posts that are in some way surprising, even if they are very uncivilized.

Massimo2002

You have repeatedly pointed out things you dislike or find alienating about certain online spaces, so what makes you go back to them instead of leaving and finding other spaces that better suit your preferences and needs?
That's because I can't find any perfect online speech spaces that have absolutely zero hate speech and name calling.

Massimo2002

Far better and far better equipped minds than mine attempt to understand those situations, but I will give it a go anyway.

1) People deal with varied levels of frustrations, and quite a few people lack proper outlets to express and attempt to resolve those frustrations.

Internet channels as those you describe can be perceived as convenient alternatives, mainly because they provide a degree of distance and anonimity.

2) It is also possible that some people are lacking in opportunity to feel noticed and heard and end up becoming online trolls of some sort for the thrill alone.

3) Incels, specifically, are generally presumed to be very frustrated people - it is sort of built into the very concept of an incel. May I respectfully ask whether there is any chance of you mistaking incels for people who are asexual, aromantic or both?

4) I don't want to neglect the matter of bias of sample selection. By their very nature, online fora can be very distant from a fair portrayal of their users. Not everyone who reads posts. Not everyone who posts will do so at their best or typical mental states. Not all who do will have something significant to say. And it is just easier to remember and to feel motivated to respond to posts that are in some way surprising, even if they are very uncivilized.
Your answer is informative and it is disappointing that so many people on the internet are hateful and angry.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That's because I can't find any perfect online speech spaces that have absolutely zero hate speech and name calling.

In my opinion, hate speech and (usually) name-calling reflect more on the people propagating them than they do anyone else. I think that, humans being humans, the vast majority of communities and groups of people will have some hateful and rude individuals, albeit to varying extents. This is the main reason I think that the most crucial difference would be in how the majority in the community or group decided to handle blatant or frequent hatred or rudeness: if they approved or were indifferent, that would seem to me a space one would be better off avoiding. If they disapproved and ensured that such toxicity was not tolerated in their midst, that would seem to me a healthy space, even if it still wouldn't be perfect (nothing involving humans is perfect, after all).

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
4th thread about the same thing by the same person. So its not really a question so much as some blither blather to promote 4chan.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
YouTube and 4chan and Incels should be happy people not the angry hateful pissed off people that they are.
Why would you think that?

That makes zero sense

Surely a self identified "incel" would by definition be frustrated, resentful and not happy?????

wellwisher

This is a mystery to me. YouTube and 4chan and Incels should be happy people not the angry hateful pissed off people that they are.
Depression if often described as anger turned inward. To avoid depression many people will try to turn that anger outward; vent the anger, as a way to let off some steam. If the inward anger builds up too much, it can cause depression.

Part of the problem is identity politics, which is trademark part of being a Liberal. They and the Atheist are often angry and are on the attack. If you define yourself by a shallow social criteria you are not being true to your whole self. While the needed repression of these other aspects of your complete self, which include truth, can lead to some self hate, some depression and then a need to release the pressure. It is a vicious cycle, that can be cured by being all you can be; objectivity, and not a shallow cartoon character.

It appears that Liberalism does this on purpose, to cause the anger venting, that can be then use for riots and internet attacks on political opponents. It feels good to attack, since it releases steam, creating a self medicating army, that is not 100% aware of being destructive to others, since it feels like self righteous medicine to them. I do not take it personally and sometimes help people self medicate, and then get back to the facts and other ways to see the same thing, allowing for completeness.

Most people are lost in this world of hate and that is all they know. In order for one to break free from hate one has to seek God with full faithfulness and change their way of life to God's standard of living. That is obeying him and loving everyone around you. Even the ones that talk evil against you because they need more help and love then the righteous one does.

David1967

Premium Member
Because its much easier for some to be hateful and terrible from behind the safety and anonymity of their computer keyboard.

They use the computer to bring out their hate so they can hide their faces from others. The computer did not teach them to hate, the world taught them to hate. Those who are truly of God do not use hateful words as they do but only encourage them to seek God and find love that will take them from the hate they live in.