• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are republicans red? (and democrats blue?)

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I never understood why republican states are called "red states." I remember as a small child, I always thought of it as the other way around, republicans being blue and democrats being red...

But seriously, why did they choose RED of all colors? Red is the color of communists, and they hate communists. You'd think they'd push to give the "red" label to democrats. Did they choose red because of all the blood they spill? :D

And why are democrats blue? Are they supposed to look sad or something?

I personally think the colors should be white and grey... republicans white, which will remind the (Christian) republicans of all the references of "white" garments as a metaphor for purity in the Bible, and it will remind their opponents of racism :D. Democrats grey, because they're always "moderate" and can't get anything done. They can't be either black or white, because they aren't organized enough :D.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I never understood why republican states are called "red states." I remember as a small child, I always thought of it as the other way around, republicans being blue and democrats being red...

But seriously, why did they choose RED of all colors? Red is the color of communists, and they hate communists. You'd think they'd push to give the "red" label to democrats. Did they choose red because of all the blood they spill? :D

I had never heard the terms "red state" or "blue state" before the 2000 election.

Wikipedia claims that the current red/blue colour scheme originated with Tim Russert: Red states and blue states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also mentions that in prior elections, there was no standard colour scheme and different networks and newspapers sometimes used the opposite of the current system.

Here in Canada, red represents the centre-left Liberals and blue represents the centre-right Conservatives, but this is because these colours are predominant in the party logos.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is

I personally think the colors should be white and grey... republicans white, which will remind the (Christian) republicans of all the references of "white" garments as a metaphor for purity in the Bible, and it will remind their opponents of racism :D. Democrats grey, because they're always "moderate" and can't get anything done. They can't be either black or white, because they aren't organized enough :D.

A completely uninformed, speculative guess, but if they want to use colors on the American flag, they gotta pick red or blue (white not really an option). And if one group used one color first, then the other group would have to use the other color. Perhaps it's just a 50/50 chance?

Smoke

Done here.
Give them the White House and both houses of Congress and they still can't accomplish what they claim to be their top priority. That's pretty sad if you ask me.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Red
The most emotionally intense color, red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. It is also the color of love. Red clothing gets noticed and makes the wearer appear heavier. Since it is an extreme color, red clothing might not help people in negotiations or confrontations. Red cars are popular targets for thieves. In decorating, red is usually used as an accent. Decorators say that red furniture should be perfect since it will attract attention.
The most romantic color, pink, is more tranquilizing. Sports teams sometimes paint the locker rooms used by opposing teams bright pink so their opponents will lose energy.

Blue
The color of the sky and the ocean, blue is one of the most popular colors. It causes the opposite reaction as red. Peaceful, tranquil blue causes the body to produce calming chemicals, so it is often used in bedrooms. Blue can also be cold and depressing. Fashion consultants recommend wearing blue to job interviews because it symbolizes loyalty. People are more productive in blue rooms. Studies show weightlifters are able to handle heavier weights in blue gyms.

dust1n

Zindīq

It's because 99% of American politicians are white men. HA! Because there is red.. blue.. but always white. Not really that clever, I suppose. :cool:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I guessed it was a patriotic color scheme, but why one party is red and the other blue, I have no idea. I've not even so much as heard someone's randomly created speculation as to why. Although Phil might be onto something.

A

angellous_evangellous

Give them the White House and both houses of Congress and they still can't accomplish what they claim to be their top priority. That's pretty sad if you ask me.

It's much easier to decieve Congress into supporting an illegal war using fear tactics than it is to reshape healthcare.

Besides, the Democrats only had a slim majority, so only one person could throw a wrench in the machine because they want something silly.

AND the Republicans are fighting tooth and nail against anything Obama wants to do, even when it would benefit them.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It's much easier to decieve Congress into supporting an illegal war using fear tactics than it is to reshape healthcare.

Besides, the Democrats only had a slim majority, so only one person could throw a wrench in the machine because they want something silly.

AND the Republicans are fighting tooth and nail against anything Obama wants to do, even when it would benefit them.

I new car for everyone would benefit us, but we can't afford to do this.

A new car for everyone would be cheaper than health care. :sorry1:

Smoke

Done here.
Last edited: