• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are there so many humans ?

Massimo2002

In Edmonton and on the internet ? Who put them there and what draws humans to places ? And what if there where no humans in Edmonton and on the internet what would that be like ?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Screenshot from 2024-06-27 02-23-08.png

Dr. Ruth.... America's favorite sex therapist. One of the great modern luminaries of our people....

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In Edmonton and on the internet ? Who put them there and what draws humans to places ?

This what I found looking for a simple correlation between Edmonton and Internet use.

1719480884348.png

Internet is like a drug. Edmonton has drugs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In Edmonton and on the internet ? Who put them there and what draws humans to places ? And what if there where no humans in Edmonton and on the internet what would that be like ?

Well think of the birds and the bees.

Who? We did

What? Curiosity.

What2? Quiet and boring

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@Massimo2002 , are you craving for some sort of higher purpose or reason for things?

I sympathise, if that is the case. But it sounds like there are things that you just have to accept as a reality.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
That makes no sense to me.

Sorry. I was clearly rushing when I replied. My fault,

I want to know the higher meaning behind everything.

Bro, that's a fool's errand. I'm sorry. There's nothing wrong what wanting that. I want it too. But it's impossible. It's not a limitation on you. "Knowing", the cognitive function, has inherent limitations which most do not realize. However, the same approx. objective "knowing the higher meaning behind everything" is achievable from a different mindset. Instead of "knowing the higher meaning... " it's "understanding the higher meaning ... "

Yes. ~nods~ That's a lot clearer, isn't it?

The difference, in cognitive function, between "knowing" and "understanding" is almost like night and day. "Knowing" is like putting something into a petri dish and poking it. Knowing... is intimate. It's, forgive me, penetrating the object or event looking for facts *within* it. Within. It's penetration. That's why "knowing" is a word that is used as a euphemism for sexual intercourse. "Adam knew Eve... and they conceived... ". Understanding is completely different.

Understanding is not about penetrating the object or event probing for facts. Understanding is looking at connections and relationships. The object or event which is being examined, is, in large part ignored. Instead, the reaction that the object or event has on others is analyzed.

Example: I don't need to know anything about hot-sauce itself, to understand that it's spicy. See that? I don't need to know anything about hot-sauce itself, to understand that it's spicy. Understanding is less rigid. Less demanding. I can observe the sensations that are produced by hot-sauce: the heat, the opening of the palette, the eyes-watering, the way other flavors are enhanced by its presence, the way it makes me excited to eat. Those are all sensations which are producing an understanding of what Hot Sauce is. It is, what it does, to others. I don't need to know anything about it. Knowing Hot-Sauce is ... capsaicin and falvonoids. ( Boring ). Well, not really boring, but I hope you understand what I mean now?

( Notice, I did not say hopefully you know.... I said hopefully you understand. Why? Because it's impossible to know what I mean. That would involve probing and penetrating my thoughts. But. You can certainly understand. Knowing? :crossmark: Understanding? :heavycheck:)

Not only is "knowing" limited inherently, understanding, as a cognitive function, has its own inherent advantages for the objective you described: "[seeking] the higher meaning ... behind everything." This is because the relationships, connections, between phenomena can be layered, grouped, and organized such that the closer one is getting to understanding everything, the number of connections and relationships is quantitatively decreasing. This makes the work easier as time goes on. Considering the same objective using knowledge has the opposite trend. The individual facts ( pieces of knowledge ) are increasing and approaching infinity as time goes on. This makes the work harder and harder. "Knowing" and "Understanding" are in many ways opposites, inverses, of each other. And because of this, where "knowing" as a cognitive function is inherently limited and inherently difficult for universal truths, "understanding" is nearly limitless, and rather easy, once a person trains their mind to work in a different manner.

Hope this helps. I learned this little trick almost 20 years ago. It has helped me tremendously over the years in a variety of contexts.

Last edited: