• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you so cranky?

If you are CONVINCED there is eternal life upon your earthly death. If you are in no or very little physical pain. If your close loved ones are doing fine. If you have a home and know you will be fed today. Why would you ever have a smile leave your face? This is to nobody in particuliar. Simply, if you are a CONVINCED, TRUE BELIEVER............................Why EVER be SAD???

smokydot

if you are convinced there is eternal life upon your earthly death. If you are in no or very little physical pain. If your close loved ones are doing fine. If you have a home and know you will be fed today. Why would you ever have a smile leave your face? This is to nobody in particuliar. Simply, if you are a convinced, true believer............................why ever be sad???
Because loved ones die. . .

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly. But I think that a lot of people who think they have perfect faith actually do not (of course many do too). My dad is a Christian priest and he has a lot to do with people dying and is there to give blessings as they pass away. He has said how incredible it is knowing these people who are so devout and firm in their beliefs through life but when it comes close to death, they freak out and start questioning their beliefs.

In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna tells us not to lament because the importance we place on this life and this world is an illusion. When you truly realise God and Self, when you know that this life is only an illusion, then there is nothing left to feel sad about.

I think the hardest thing, for a believer, is seeing your loved one suffer.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Not sure what being a "true believer" has to do with this, but I am very rarely sad, and when I am it is usually not because I pity myself in any way but rather because of other people's suffering.

I am well aware that I am extremely lucky and that I have very little, if anything, to complain about.

I'm generally a very happy guy. :D

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not sure what being a "true believer" has to do with this, but I am very rarely sad, and when I am it is usually not because I pity myself in any way but rather because of other people's suffering.

I am well aware that I am extremely lucky and that I have very little, if anything, to complain about.

I'm generally a very happy guy. :D

Same here. There appears an (supposedly unintentional) side implication that non-believers tend to be in rather dire straits whenever things get tough being there is no "shoulder to lean on" in terms of a belief.

Green Kepi

If you are CONVINCED there is eternal life upon your earthly death. If you are in no or very little physical pain. If your close loved ones are doing fine. If you have a home and know you will be fed today. Why would you ever have a smile leave your face? This is to nobody in particuliar. Simply, if you are a CONVINCED, TRUE BELIEVER............................Why EVER be SAD???

Cause there is pain, sorrow, hurt, bad things, etc. that happens to us all whether one is saved or not. No where does it promise "a rose garden". Jesus was sad many times while living as a man down here...God spends much time in sadness and anger. Even the great men of God occasionally experienced feelings of despair. Take Elijah, for example, (I Kings 19:4) he was fearful, scared, exhausted, depressed and was wanting to die. Elijah was a great man of God because in 2 Kings 2, he was taken directly to Heaven...not a bad way to go! Being sad at times...is called "Life"!

ellenjanuary

I gave away another Gwynnie a coupla weeks back (further validating the hypothesis that the more love you give, the more love you have); and I spent the night responding to posts here, without submitting them. And my neighbor was "busy" with a yard sale, and her lack of stillness called me out. "Need alcohol," she said. Never occurred to me to ask her for money to buy this alcohol. Gwynnie was in my head, smiling at me... and I found myself strolling across 19th ave, against traffic, 18-rack of Miller on my shoulder, to the hooting of other pedestrians...

So, I have to admit; in my case, occasional sadness is a survival trait. :D

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Happiness is not always a choice, depression is a serious condition and cannot be just willed away. Plus people tend to take everyday things, no matter how nice they are by comparison. Also, we can, and should, be saddened by the plight of our brothers and sisters who do not have food, shelter, or security.

Nerthus

Wanderlust

Maybe people aren't so selfish to only think of themselves.

Renji

Why, is it wrong to be happy and spread that happiness to other people instead of making sad things more sad?

btw, I don't quite get the OP. There's just so many conflicting thoughts...