• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Did Jesus Refer To Himself As The Son Of Man?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
He referred to himself as the son of man to make a point imo. He looked like a man, so referring to himself as the son of man was appropriate but he was actually the son of God. It was Jesus‘s way of saying, even though God made me different he still made me to appear as the son of man. So in that respect, the title of son of man speaks more to his divinity even more than the title of son of God.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's a phrase from the Old Testament that is used in different ways, to mean a generic man or humanity in general but also a messianic title. Jesus used it in both ways, in reference to himself. So you're right in a way, when it comes to that first aspect of identification with humanity.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
It's a phrase from the Old Testament that is used in different ways, to mean a generic man or humanity in general but also a messianic title. Jesus used it in both ways, in reference to himself. So you're right in a way, when it comes to that first aspect of identification with humanity.

Snippet from this Wikipedia entry. Hmm. They seem to agree with me, that it’s a heavenly title.

The title "Son of God" is bestowed on other historical figures like Jacob and Solomon; but the Son of man title is claimed only by Jesus. Son of God came to be recognized as a human being, while Son of man, contrary to intuition, was understood as a heavenly being, alluding to the One mentioned in Daniel 7.[2]

InChrist

Free4ever
He referred to himself as the son of man to make a point imo. He looked like a man, so referring to himself as the son of man was appropriate but he was actually the son of God. It was Jesus‘s way of saying, even though God made me different he still made me to appear as the son of man. So in that respect, the title of son of man speaks more to his divinity even more than the title of son of God.
I believe the title Son of Man in reference to Jesus demonstrated the following…

-title of humanity

-title of deity

-fulfillment of prophecy

For further elaboration:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Makes me think. It is interesting.