• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do girls typically prefer older guys?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It might ultimately be an evolutionary thing. Older guys would often enough have a few more resources, skills and abilities to support offspring. Thus, women who mated with them would have offspring somewhat more likely to survive than women who mated with younger guys. But who really knows?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's traditional.
Thinking about the way societies worked in ancient times, what with men being more powerful, being providers and protectors and taking longer to choose wives, it was more likely that men would be older and choose a young wife to bear his children. In fact, that's another factor- that women have a limited time to have children whereas men do not.

And so it has always been and these days, when these factors don't really apply in modern society, it is still taboo for women to be with younger men.

I don't think it is a matter of being more sexually attracted to older men. I think we are psychologically influenced by social pressures.

There are plenty of women who are attracted to younger men, some even prefer younger men.

Some of the girls or women I've known who went for much older men had obvious daddy issues.

I personally have been equally attracted to older and younger men and I think that your average female has the same experience.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I think it's the perception of maturity.

I've never had much choice on that subject - I always attracted older men. Not a huge age gap, but always a few years older.

Perhaps men like younger women?

Wherenextcolumbus

Thinking about the way societies worked in ancient times, what with men being more powerful, being providers and protectors and taking longer to choose wives, it was more likely that men would be older and choose a young wife to bear his children. In fact, that's another factor- that women have a limited time to have children whereas men do not.

Well actually men kind of do. Men who are 40 plus produce weaker sperm which can result in women having miscarriages, or taking longer to get pregnant.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well actually men kind of do. Men who are 40 plus produce weaker sperm which can result in women having miscarriages, or taking longer to get pregnant.

But they still can, even at a very old age, and this knowledge is all it matters in the context of this topic.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

My take is the OP is referring to men who are perhaps two or three years old than the woman, rather than to men who are much older than the woman. It's just a guess, since the OP is not specific about that, but statistics would bear that guess out. In the United States, on average, women marry men a little over two years their senior.

Wherenextcolumbus

My take is the OP is referring to men who are perhaps two or three years old than the woman, rather than to men who are much older than the woman. It's just a guess, since the OP is not specific about that, but statistics would bear that guess out. In the United States, on average, women marry men a little over two years their senior.

Ok we'll when people say "older men" or "older women" generally they are referring to about ten years plus. My partner is a year and a half older than me but I wouldn't refer to him as an "older man" like there is a big difference.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It might ultimately be an evolutionary thing. Older guys would often enough have a few more resources, skills and abilities to support offspring. Thus, women who mated with them would have offspring somewhat more likely to survive than women who mated with younger guys. But who really knows?

And so it has always been and these days, when these factors don't really apply in modern society, it is still taboo for women to be with younger men.

I don't think it is a matter of being more sexually attracted to older men. I think we are psychologically influenced by social pressures.

There are plenty of women who are attracted to younger men, some even prefer younger men.

Some of the girls or women I've known who went for much older men had obvious daddy issues.

I personally have been equally attracted to older and younger men and I think that your average female has the same experience.

These responses are much in line with what I was thinking when I read the OP. Economically throughout much of human history, males acquired the resources necessary for survival, and females tended toward mate selection that provided the best chance of survival for her offspring.

I think the preference nowadays is a holdover from these very same cultural traits and economic structures. I think since our political system allows for women to acquire the education and resources for survival (shelter, food, etc), that we see more incidences of the "Cougar" syndrome where older women and younger men practice the same psychology behind the specific pair-bonding from traditional societies.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Most women marry men a little older than themselves.
but I doubt it is because of preferences on the womans part.
I expect it is partly traditional and partly economic.
And partly because older men have more to offer, and target younger women.

I have not found that women care either way.

But If they marry older men they have a longer freewheeling retirement. ( men die sooner)
Some women even manage to pick up two or three jackpots along the way.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Some say its because us older guys have more experience,more maturity and more class, is that true?

I have to agree with the others who say it's mostly because of tradition. I was tempted to say that it is because females mature faster than males, but I didn't want to make the guys mad. ;)

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Older men are viewed as more capable protectors and producers, to an extent. At a certain age men become more feeble and single women hunt for younger men to fill their needs.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I have to agree with the others who say it's mostly because of tradition. I was tempted to say that it is because females mature faster than males, but I didn't want to make the guys mad. ;)

Fine, I'll say it. It is because females mature faster than males. ;)

Honestly, I've always found men older than me to be more on the same wavelength as me on a maturity level. Especially when I was much younger. I've dated guys younger than me, around the same age as me, and around 10 years or so older than me. When I was younger, I'd say I probably hit it off the best with the guys several years older than me and had the least in common with those exactly my age and younger.

Last edited: