• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most people live doing the same thing day in and out ?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
People get inured to the drudge.

I did a job for a short while to help pay uni fees. The job consisted of put part B in hole A, put part D in hole C. I designed some wonderful art in my head during that job, figured out answers for uni homework, planned my life, tried to imagine infinity, and spent a holiday on Mars.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
How do these people never commit suicide from boredom and repetition ?

There are many worlds in the psyche ( mind+heart+spirit ). The inner subjective experience is an opportunity to explore diverse exciting, perhaps even exotic, destinations even and perhaps especially while engaging in mundane boring normal activities. However it's not entirely without risk.

The price of admission, the cost of the ticket for these journeys in the mind "caring" and "attachment". The more one cares, the more one is attached to others and their surroundings, the world, the further the can journey in their mind and into the heavens regardless of what they're body is doing. But that also opens up the heart and mind to the inevitable slings and arrows, the unexpected knife in the back, the disappointment and dissatisfaction and all the pain associated with it.

Ending the monotony requires caring and attachment. It's risky and dangerous and ... not "cool". All the cool kids are "detached non-dualists" these days, right. That's literally what it means to be "cool"? Nonchalant? Detached? And that will certainly, without a doubt, prevent the heart from breaking. Stoic. But without caring and attachment, the mundane daily monotony is boring, lifeless, like zombies or robots, or AI.

Ultimately? Ending monotony and boredom is about taking risks. Planning for the future, dreaming, without the fear of how it will feel if those dreams are shattered. This is inner risk taking, in the psyche. For many, most, it comes naturally. For others, it's a struggle to take those inner risks. It just feels impossible to break out of the rut. Everyone feels this way from time to time. However, the human mind is excellent at adaptation to repeated cycles. If the psyche repeatedly dwells in futility, it becomes very very good at this: dwelling, in futility. In the extreme, if this persists, this condition is called depression.

Unless. It's a wonderful word. Unless. Even saying it out loud is full of mystery and possibilities.

Unless. ... Unless someone like you, cares an awful lot ... Unless. It's not going to change.

Last edited:

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member

One thing that helps me is my spirituality. My spirituality is one of devotion (bhakti in Sanskrit) to a personal deity. As I do my full time job, I do it as an offering to Śiva, the deity who I love. When I make my work as an offering to the deity who I love, my work is not to me something mundane but special. That is how my spirituality gets me through the same type of work five days every week.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Routine has its own rewards, its own confort, and its own drawbacks.

The same can be said just as legitimately about situations of innovation, surprise, and even full anxious uncertainty.

But we should keep in mind that there is a considerable spectrum of variation of ability of individual people in dealing with those situations - and above that, people just aren't particularly stable in the ways they behave and respond to situations.

rocala

I designed some wonderful art in my head
This, I think, is the key. There was a TV documentary once. Some sort of consultant spent time at a factory where most jobs were incredibly boring. He was surprised at how successful many of the employees were in their lives outside of work. There were gardeners, martial artists, army reservists, and others, all doing something they loved and retreating to that space in their head as an escape.

A friend of a friend had a boring security job in a reception area. In the years he sat there, 'doing nothing', he taught himself three languages.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think boredom on it's own can make a person suicidal.
However, loss of interest in everyday activities, or things that used to satisfy is a diagnostic criteria for depression.

Do you feel as though you've lost enjoyment in your routines and recreation?

rocala

I don't think boredom on it's own can make a person suicidal.
I agree. In my experience the usual result of prolonged boredom is anger and aggression. This can emerge in a persons private life or perhaps in industrial relations problems.

I do believe that boredom can be connected to suicide or other mental health problems when it comes on top of other issues. For some people their job is their only escape from life's worries. When that is not the case, the positive functioning of the employee is at an increased state of risk.

PureX

Veteran Member
This is a true story.

An artist acquaintance living in Seattle has been making drawings alone in her apartment for many decades. She rarely ventured out or had anyone to visit her. She just made her drawings. She is now nearing 70 years old, and someone (I don't know who) decided that she should not be living alone, anymore. And they forcibly moved her into an old people's home. No more drawing table for her. The place had shuffleboard courts and puzzle-making tables and sitting areas for socializing. But Lori (that's her name) never much cared about socializing. She just loved to draw. But no one cared about that, or listened to her pleas. The "rules" said she couldn't have a drawing table. And that was that.

So this 70 year old woman with supposed dementia managed to gather up her ID, debit card, and some clothes, in secret, and to weave a makeshift rope out of the drapes in her room. And then she climbed out a second story window using her "rope". But unfortunately her rope was about 20 feet short of reaching the ground, and she fell that distance onto concrete.

She was very seriously hurt, with many broken bones, a punctured lung, and brain swelling. And everyone thought she was not long for this world. But she got very good care in the hospital, and so she began to mend.

It's now several months later and she is still in a wheel chair, but she is out of the hospital and has been moved to a small group home where she has her own room WITH HER DRAWING TABLE. She gets up every day and works on her drawings. Her friend Lisa from way back in their art school days flew across the country to visit her, and sent me a text just yesterday saying that Lori is doing very well, is very happy, and spends her days drawing contentedly. Just as she has done for many years.

This woman risked death and suffered serious injury for the purposeful peace and joy that she finds in getting lost in her artwork. And although her drawings are very, very different from anything I might draw, I find them very relaxing and peaceful to look at. And to contemplate. I honestly feel that the world is a better place having Lori Korsmo in it.

A young Lori Korsmo ...

1517575065222.jpg

One of her drawings ...

68f56ffe1a1c462bea198a4f74e45944.jpg

Last edited: