• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do people assume spanking is not harmful?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think it's far worse to hit a child. Assault in some self-defense thing, I can see. If I get a home invader, I might use force. (He'd have to be might old and slow though.) But on a little kid? Why? It's some sort of perverse sadistic ingrained mechanism.

What do you consider a hit? A slap? I belting? A punch?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What do you consider a hit? A slap? I belting? A punch?

Of course the intensity varies. I don't think any of it's necessary. There are almost always better ways. I had to use force on a student once. He had a floor hockey stick and was about to hit another kid, so I forcefully removed it from his hands.

There are times when you have to move your child maybe, by lifting etc. But I'm a bit of a hipocryte too, because I did use force (corporal punishment) on a couple of my kids too. So it's tough all around emotionally.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
The majority of people I have met that were spanked as children, suffer from all kinds of issues because of it. And only a few of them actually are ok. When will people stop assuming things solely based on their own experience. I was also spanked and I can honestly say, I am ****** up.

It is regular practice in Ecuador. I ve met many that said they were happy they were spanked cause only at way they would have learned.

I was spanked only two times I think. While it hurt and ñi cried and all, the real thing that I remember the most was the face of mother... She really felt terrible while doing it.

Ironically, I didnt change may ways, and oarents noticed that leaving me without TV was way more effective. It "hurted" me way more than physical ephimeral pain did.

Then again, culture can make thins change a lot. If you were spanked and everyone tells you thats abuse, of course you will get issues out of it, because now you think your parents "abused " you.

I prefer US laws on the issue because it is easier to regulate and avoid the grey areas. I cant imagine myself physically hurting someone for correction. Well, unless I am correcting someone that is trying to physically hurt me that is.

pegasus

When children act out, it's because they subconsciously desire a spanking.
Any proof of that? As far as I am concerned. Kids who act out. Do it because they need attention. And compared to no attention at all, spanking is better. At least that way they get attention. But it's the attention they desire. Not the spanking itself.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Spanking is considered child abuse and is thus illegal here, and yet this country doesn't have less well-behaved children than any other country. Why allow corporal punishment towards children when it's illegal towards adults?

Its ilegal to emprison adults against their will in your house too.

Not being allowed to do that with your children sounds problematic to me.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Any proof of that? As far as I am concerned. Kids who act out. Do it because they need attention. And compared to no attention at all, spanking is better. At least that way they get attention. But it's the attention they desire. Not the spanking itself.

It's best to spank preemptively.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Not all spanking is bad and not all spanking is good.

To be honest, I'd prefer some kids got a whack in the behind rather than grow up to be disrespectful, lazy hoodlums.

pegasus

Not all spanking is bad and not all spanking is good.

To be honest, I'd prefer some kids got a whack in the behind rather than grow up to be disrespectful, lazy hoodlums.

I personally know quite a few who were spanked and are a holly terror.