• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people believe in religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degenerate

I would really like someone to tell me why people believe in religion? Because it really makes no sense to me whatsoever. I would also like to know why people think it's good for us? Cause i fail to see how controlling people through fear is good.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Maybe it would help if you put some effort into understanding religion, instead of dismissing it as crap.

slave2six

Substitious
I would really like someone to tell me why people believe in religion?
Ever play the lottery? I have on three occasions. I played exactly one dollar each time but I found that while I was holding that ticket, everything in my future was possible. I dreamed of what I would do with millions of dollars and I'll tell you that most of it was about doin' stuff for other people.

Then the day of the draw comes and reality sets back in. But, I tell you, there is nothing like the high of imagining what could happen.

I think religion is very much like this. Anything might be true and our imaginations invent all kinds of possibilities. The one difference is that the day of the lottery draw is the day we die so there's no real opportunity to be jolted back to reality before that.

slave2six

Substitious
Maybe it would help if you put some effort into understanding religion, instead of dismissing it as crap.
It is crap. Why bother with a stool sample? He just wants to know why other people are fascinated with the feces.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Does this thread have an authentic point to make/discuss or is this just another "religion is stupid" rant?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
That's an over generalization. And the golden rule is very problematic. It's crap really. The platinum rule is a lot better, and it has it's draw backs as well.

So we should do things that we don't like being done to us?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I would really like someone to tell me why people believe in religion? Because it really makes no sense to me whatsoever. I would also like to know why people think it's good for us? Cause i fail to see how controlling people through fear is good.

I dismiss religion as much as you do champ, but you're better off trying to understand why people do holds religious beliefs and go from there, rather than holding them to a "lesser" standard because they believe in God. Sure there are a lot of idiots when it comes to religion who take the bible literally, but not all people have such a black and white belief. Some people have had revelations. Sure, its not enough to convince us, but they don't have to be able to convey their revelation to us in order to be taken seriously.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Does this thread have an authentic point to make/discuss or is this just another "religion is stupid" rant?

Seems like just another "religion is stupid" rant. :rolleyes:

I understand this position, but it is the same kind of thinking that promotes intolerance and hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.